Two new white clovers in 2017 Welter Seed Catalog.

Mike

A good 3 year old buck
Got the 2017 Welter seed catalog the other day. Was looking through the white clover section and see their are two new additions. Renovation and Legacy white clovers. Of course the little paragraph that tells you about them says they are both the best thing since sliced bread so looking for some real info. Planning on doing a clover blend for late next summer and looking for something to mix with my Kopu II. Was planning on Jumbo Ladino II but one more variety might be nice.

My camp has a mix of 3: Kopu II, Ladino, and Alice white clovers. Plot is doing real well. I'd do another just like it. We started that plot with oats as a nurse crop.

I got my Welter's catalog too. Already writing an order.

From what I could find online it sounds like Renovation is more of an intermediate clover with high stolen density very similar to Durana. Legacy sounds like its really close to Kopu II but with slightly larger leafs and even higher stolen density than Kopu II which I find hard to believe.

Hey Browsnbucks, how tall does the Alice get compared to Kopu II? Seemed like Kopu II was a little lower growing than the Imperial Whitetail I planted a few years back but it came in thicker (Higher Stolen Density).

So far, it's about the same as the Kopu II, height - wise. This coming year will be it's first year after some spraying for weeds and grass. Once free of that crap, and after more fertilizer, I'll have a better answer for you. The germination was real good - lots of clover, but too much comp. from weeds and grass to get a real idea of how good this plot can get. I'm anxious to see. The deer really love eating in there.

My experience with renovation was not good. Thought that it would be great for us up here. We paid through the nose for it and planted it on 3 different properties here and 1 in Quebec It failed at all 3 locations here, we did get a few little patches that came up, but it was a disappointment. To be fair, we had a bad drought here, but the planting in Quebec had great conditions for growing and was still disappointing, the #1 from the feed mill that was also planted up there did better than the high priced renovation. I have 2lbs left that I will try next year and see if I get better results, the inoculant tag says its good until July '17, so I am hoping to have better results.

I am looking to do a half acre white clover plot next year. Any reccomnded mixes? Best to do 2-3 different white clovers together vs just 1 variety? I plan to plant it with oats as the cover to get it going in seed drill.

I am looking to do a half acre white clover plot next year. Any reccomnded mixes? Best to do 2-3 different white clovers together vs just 1 variety? I plan to plant it with oats as the cover to get it going in seed drill.
I do a mix of KopuII, ladino and jumbo ladino.

Mike & silver yummies - Like all the farm-experienced guys on here recommend, plant your clover mixes with a nurse/cover crop in the fall. ( I learned from them and it works !! ). Some winter rye and oats would be great to get your clover started. Oats will be early fall green food, and when frost knocks down the oats, the rye will take over as green food all winter and nurse the clover into spring/summer.