New Clover Varieties results (Renovation White Clover)

Mike

A good 3 year old buck
A few years ago I asked if anyone on here had any experience with two new clovers that welter seed had made available for the first time. The two in question were Legacy and Renovation white clover. I ended up doing a mix of Renovation and Jumbo II ladino with a small amount of Chicory mixed in for good measure. I planted this blend in late August 2018 with a Cereal Rye nurse crop. The location of the plot is in Ontonagon County Michigan (Western Upper Peninsula). As is the case with clover planted that late in the year there was very little growth that first year. When I returned to the area in June 2019 I saw very little clover and a small amount of chicory so I mowed the Cereal Rye to the ground and thought that for some reason this planting seemed a failure, boy I could not have been more wrong. I returned to the property in mid August 2019 expecting to find a failed clover plot but instead found the most beautiful clover/chicory foodplot I had ever seen. The plot was thick and lush and as past practice with maintaining clover has taught me I mowed it to the ground. In late October I went to the property to bowhunt and was very impressed with the amount and quality of the forage that I found growing in that plot, I could not keep the deer out of it. I do not know why this plot was so slow to establish but it was worth the wait. I would highly endorse Renovation in a foodplot mix. Another observation was that it seemed to really stand up to heavy grazing.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a sucker for new clover varieties. My Mo deer dont hardly touch clover past Oct though. Dont know what the deal is.