tree tubes

Bill Loser

5 year old buck +
So I am planting a couple hundred trees this weekend , hazelnut, swamp white oak, quaking aspen, white pine, and balsam fir. I was thinking of tubing them, but I am not sure how. I've seen tubes with saplings completely inside the tubes with nothing sticking out the top. Is this the normal way of doing it? It seems like the limbs would break getting them into the tubes and that it would affect the limbs growing?
I was thinking about just screening them? Maybe wrap window screen around them a staple (I saw this on another thread on here) them loosely so as to not restrict growth?
The trees i'm getting are all saplings 12"- 24" bare root.

Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned!

At 12"-24" your oak and aspen may look like whips.

I put in fifty hazelnut this spring that are a little over 3' and very well feathered with lots of suckers, planted them along edge of woods and didn't tube or protect any of them. I think hazelnuts can take some natural pruning and it makes them grow even thicker. But the ones I have put in are bigger than what you listed so I'm not sure on the protection, others on here will know way more about it than I.
I've planted quite a few conifers, I haven't protected them either and have had bunnies get after the white pine some and bucks rub on some of the others. Seems like the cold months are when they get browsed on, not sure if tubing them works with how they branch? I try to plant them in thick grass or thorn patches and that helps some with the natural protection, if I loose a few I replace the following spring.

I don't have any experience with the swamp oak or aspen.

Lots of guys use tubes and like them, I screen&cage my fruit and chestnut trees.

Fan of tree tubes here. Started with 4' but now use 5' Photosynth with a PVC post and pea gravel. At planting time I prune back most trees to a single leader when going for vertical growth. In the spring I lift my tubes to clean out leaves and prune back any branches. Once out of the tube let it branch and continue growing until the trunk almost fills the tube, then remove tube and enjoy!

I've seen tubes with saplings completely inside the tubes with nothing sticking out the top. Is this the normal way of doing it?

Yes.

Make sure that you screen (aluminum) the lower foot of trunk and into the soil 2" even if you use a tube to protect from rodent damage. I like Tubex Combitubes with 6' stakes, either oak or PVC...don't bevel the end of the latter though, thinking a sharp end will penetrate the soil better...it causes the stake to drive in crooked IMHO. You shouldn't have any problems with limb damage. If you do, I want your nursery's #! :emoji_grin:

I would not tube the conifers. Their growth paattern does not fit a tube very well. Cage those or as many as you can. Hardwoods are better for tubes like the oak and aspen. Hazels can go in a tube initially but are better off in a cage since you want to give them room to spread out and grow more stems.

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll go with the screen. The hazel nuts and white pine I think I'll cage. I've got a crap load of tomatoe cages I think I'll use for them
The Balsam I think will just leave . I don't think.the deer will bother them?