Tree time has arrived

The TSC tree was bought on a whim some years ago. I haven't purchased trees from a store since then. The guy in Kansas has much better trees for the same price.

Pulled my acorns out of the fridge yesterday. Pleased to see some sprouting. Removed the sawdust and put some miracle grow soil in the bag with a little bit of water. I'm hoping to get them in the ground in about 30 days. Might have about 125 acorns. some hickory nuts and beechnuts in there as well.

I got all my acorns in pots over the past couple weekends. They'll stay there until late may'ish and then I'll get them in the ground.

A good month away from planting trees here...16 degrees right now. Most of my new bare root should be coming late March.
I have had very good luck with potted fruit trees from my local TSC especially pears...nothing but bad luck with any fruit trees from Rural King, those are the only two box stores I ever tried potted trees from.

Mine look exactly the same.

we had 70 degrees here yesterday but are expecting a cool down mid to late this week...I'll be planting trees this weekend..alot of trees..will update with pics next week...

In NY, the dept of enviromental conservation has a annual seedling sale. Over the past few years, they have torringo crabapple, native wild apple, asian plums, chestnut, dogwoods, alder, birches, poplar, all sorts of conifers, including white and red cedar. Usually $30 for 25 bareroots. I've done blue spruce, red and white cedar, red dogwood, hybrid poplar, white pine, as well as the plums and toringo crabapple.

Great resource. Items are shipped to local soil conservation district. Ontop of the state, the local conservation place sells agriform pellets, other items like blueberry and strawberry plants, some of the state offerings in singles, tree growing tubes, and other forestry tree growing goodies.

No good fruit trees this year, but behind my house are new neighbors with a new house. So, I am growing more blue spruce with a quick growing hybrid poplar infront. I'd prefer white pine, but snooze ya loose, they were out.....

Here-say is here-say, and people vary on how well or too much well they take care of plants. But, it seems home depot and walmart does better than the tractor supply ones. Usually tractor supply has 2 grades of trees, $25 ones with good root balls and $10 dollar cheapies....

In NY, the dept of enviromental conservation has a annual seedling sale. Over the past few years, they have torringo crabapple, native wild apple, asian plums, chestnut, dogwoods, alder, birches, poplar, all sorts of conifers, including white and red cedar. Usually $30 for 25 bareroots. I've done blue spruce, red and white cedar, red dogwood, hybrid poplar, white pine, as well as the plums and toringo crabapple.

Thanks for the reminder... snuck in under wire and got 25 red oaks to spot in at the camp. One more job to do, it's but fun to see how they do.

and the month of March (as Pat McManus said "God created March in case eternity had proved too brief") has dealt my planting plans a blow...going to snow on Saturday my planned planting day...going to just prep over the weekend and moving it off till next early next week...

and the month of March (as Pat McManus said "God created March in case eternity had proved too brief") has dealt my planting plans a blow...going to snow on Saturday my planned planting day...going to just prep over the weekend and moving it off till next early next week...
gonna let a little snow stop ya?? :)
20180407_121736.jpg

haha im more worried about the temps in the teens on Saturday night but I will probably be out there with a crew working like that as well
I hear you...it was 77 here Monday and this Sunday shows a low of 21 !. Some of my pear trees are starting to bud out , hopefully they will be ok

I hear you...it was 77 here Monday and this Sunday shows a low of 21 !. Some of my pear trees are starting to bud out , hopefully they will be ok
We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground, it’s suppose to get down to -10 tonight with -30 windchill. Tomorrow night is also -8 and -20 windchill. This is the middle of March :(

We still have 2 feet of snow on the ground, it’s suppose to get down to -10 tonight with -30 windchill. Tomorrow night is also -8 and -20 windchill. This is the middle of March :(
WOW
WOW winter wonderland up there !. It says High of 51 today here in Virginia , and now they are saying low of 22 Saturday and 32 Sunday. Most of my pear trees are just starting to bud out

I just got an email from Cold Stream Farm (nursery) that it is still too frozen to dig my trees out...so I will be delaying a week or maybe a few weeks or so....