Tree time has arrived

White Oak

5 year old buck +
Stopped at my local Tractor supply today in Virginia (zone 7) and they had some bagged root apple trees inside. They usually get the larger potted trees in the last week of February . I thought the bagged root trees looked pretty good for $14.99 , hell they were a lot bigger than the bareroot trees I ordered online last year from a popular nursery for double the price !. Granted the rootstock is unknown...BUT if they had a Yates, Enterprise or Liberty I would have bought one or two to try.

Attachments

• 20220214_112040.jpg
    20220214_112040.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220214_112056.jpg
    20220214_112056.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220214_112048 (1).jpg
    20220214_112048 (1).jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 39
Sorry, it was 14 deg F today here and many months before tree time.

As a side note, I stopped buying big box store fruit trees. Of the 6-8 I tried, they all died first summer they were planted. When I pulled out of the ground to inspect, found the root balls were no bigger than a softball. They were trimmed this small to save shipping costs.

Planting may still be a while off for me as well. This was yester morning B9CFD916-B75B-4A7B-9B3C-6637AA57265F.jpeg

I have bought my first 6 trees from box stores, only 1 is still alive, and it isn’t what I thought it was when I bought it.

Sorry, it was 14 deg F today here and many months before tree time.

As a side note, I stopped buying big box store fruit trees. Of the 6-8 I tried, they all died first summer they were planted. When I pulled out of the ground to inspect, found the root balls were no bigger than a softball. They were trimmed this small to save shipping costs.
I hear you , it was 62 degrees here Friday then Sunday it went back down to 32 with snow flurries. USUALY by March 15 the white pear tree blossoms start coming out on the trees around here . My Father bought two pear trees from Food Lion last year... (a grocery store chain) and the roots were in a plastic bag and like yours the root balls were no bigger than a softball lol. However unlike yours somehow his survived the summer...maybe because I gave them A LOT of water, we'll see if they wake up this spring.

AS for me I have 2 Chestnut Hill Dr Deer pear trees from Walmart, 3 pear trees from Lowes and 2 Crabapples from Tractor supply and never had any die or any issues with small roots. I also have bare root trees from Whitetail crabs, Blue Hill and NativeNurseries and I haven't had any of them die either . So I wouldn't hesitate to buy potted or bare root .

Last edited:
I bought a small tree like that from TSC for $13 a few years ago, and it's doing fine. I think they are bare root trees, with bags to hold moisture.

I bought a small tree like that from TSC for $13 a few years ago, and it's doing fine. I think they are bare root trees, with bags to hold moisture.
Sounds good Telemark...I really don't think you can go wrong for the price . If they would of had a variety I'm looking for I would have bought one or two to try. From my research , I need disease resistant varieties like Liberty, Enterprise ,Yates or Arkansas Black . My only experience with Tractor Supply trees are two Callaway Crabapples , the larger potted size trees they keep outside and sell for around $27.00 . Mine are doing great, however a neighbor had a bull get loose last week and it ran into the fence surrounding one of my Callaways and dug it up pretty bad . If it doesn't make it I can't blame the tree, it's the bulls fault.

I looked at these trees at our local TSC store last spring. I picked up a nice looking Golden Delicious. I decided I wanted to look at the roots so I took it out to the yard area and opened it up. I was really bummed on how much they trimmed the root down to. I decided to not buy it. However, I bought a similar packaged tree from Home Depot years ago before I care about rootstock and it has been fantastic. You never know!

I am trying to pick a weekend to put my trees in. I have to pick up 3 from NWC and a few different crabs from a different nursery; along with 40 to put in for a screen.
It's looking like the first or second weekend in March (last year my first day for planting was the 20th of March). Right now the ground is still frozen and has a few inches of snow on it, though it looks to start warming up here soon.

-3 here this AM. I have 4-6 weeks before I'll be thinking about putting trees in the ground. Have fun!

I looked at these trees at our local TSC store last spring. I picked up a nice looking Golden Delicious. I decided I wanted to look at the roots so I took it out to the yard area and opened it up. I was really bummed on how much they trimmed the root down to. I decided to not buy it. However, I bought a similar packaged tree from Home Depot years ago before I care about rootstock and it has been fantastic. You never know!
.........If the store manager finds you removing the container to look at tree roots......

............you might be a habitat guy

bill

Kind of hate you right now, just saying - but then again I can go out snowmobiling !

Same thing up here under the tree candy name - young baily's brand trees bare rooted and bagged in wet sawdust - there is not going to be much of a rootsystem on those 1/2" caliper trees, hard to beat the price - they should be fine and usually all have a 1 year return policy. Go for it!

I hear you , it was 62 degrees here Friday then Sunday it went back down to 32 with snow flurries. USUALY by March 15 the white pear tree blossoms start coming out on the trees around here . My Father bought two pear trees from Food Lion last year... (a grocery store chain) and the roots were in a plastic bag and like yours the root balls were no bigger than a softball lol. However unlike yours somehow his survived the summer...maybe because I gave them A LOT of water, we'll see if they wake up this spring.

AS for me I have 2 Chestnut Hill Dr Deer pear trees from Walmart, 3 pear trees from Lowes and 2 Crabapples from Tractor supply and never had any die or any issues with small roots. I also have bare root trees from Whitetail crabs, Blue Hill and NativeNurseries and I haven't had any of them die either . So I wouldn't hesitate to buy potted or bare root .
What trees do you have from Nativ?

Not to make anyone mad, but I've been planting trees here the past few weeks. I'm honestly probably behind for my area, today the high will be in the 70's.

Last week I planted seveal dolgos and Eliza’s choice crabs, along with a couple yates, arkansas blacks, fuyu persimmon, american crabs, Chickasaw and american plum, and a couple of Mayhaws. Elm trees blooming here.

Last week I planted seveal dolgos and Eliza’s choice crabs, along with a couple yates, arkansas blacks, fuyu persimmon, american crabs, Chickasaw and american plum, and a couple of Mayhaws. Elm trees blooming here.
do you have any of the elizas choice already?..they were some of the other ones that i have on order for the spring

Not to make anyone mad, but I've been planting trees here the past few weeks. I'm honestly probably behind for my area, today the high will be in the 70's.
Not mad, jealous! Honestly, would love to see pictures, not because I dont know how to do it, but just for something to give me hope, and maybe get me until the last weekend of April, when I can plant.

Not mad, jealous! Honestly, would love to see pictures, not because I dont know how to do it, but just for something to give me hope, and maybe get me until the last weekend of April, when I can plant.
Some of my crabs are already starting to break bud. Earlier than normal, hoping a hard freeze doesnt damage them!

A797BD7E-6BE0-45D5-8E3B-8F31C3971B7F.jpegA797BD7E-6BE0-45D5-8E3B-8F31C3971B7F.jpeg
do you have any of the elizas choice already?..they were some of the other ones that i have on order for the spring
I bought one last year - a bare root. Planted in a three gallon container and then replanted in a ten gallon. I put it in the ground a few days ago. Made about 15 apples last year in that container. It did get a little CAR - but not quite as bad as two Dolgos in containers right next to it. These in picture were picked mid Aug SW Arkansas. Have no idea how long they will hold

What trees do you have from Nativ?
I only have 4 wild deer pears from Nativ. Had 5 but some joker ran one over by mistake with a bush hog . They were 2 foot seedlings when planted -probably- in 2019 or 2020 (didn't keep records back then). My Wild Deer pears are probably 9-10 foot tall now, but probably another year or two before I see any pears