Tree looks familiar but I can't ID it

Tap

5 year old buck +
20231010_091208.jpg

Thanks guys.
Mulberry was what I init thought but when I looked at some internet pics, the leaves were basically shaped like a football and the fruit looked like elongated blackberries.
My young tree had only a few, tiny berries and they were round.
Nevertheless, I agree that it is mulberry...1st one I've had growing on my place.

Thanks guys.
Mulberry was what I init thought but when I looked at some internet pics, the leaves were basically shaped like a football and the fruit looked like elongated blackberries.
Nevertheless, I agree that it is mulberry...1st one I've had growing on my place.
From what I have seen around my place... the younger mulberry trees have leaves like yours. As they mature, the leaves get more like footballs and the multiple lobes tend to go away - I think!

Reactions: Tap
Thanks guys.

Try to propagate more. They are excellent wildlife trees.

The deer and the racoons love them. Pic from July. I had no idea why the Deer and Racoons were showing up on this camera for the longest time until I eventually saw the fruit and then realized lots of critters were hitting this tree day after day. I finally used the "Seek" app to help me identify the tree.

1696957827808.png

They're filthy trees. Don't plant them near your house. The berries get on everything,it seems. They paint the bottom of your shoes, and then you track purple juice through your house. Birds will flock to the tree to eat the berries and drop purple bird potty on your cars and patio furniture. And they have a growth habit of stretching their dense canopy higher and higher every year while terminating lower growth that no longer receives sunlight. This means a constant barrage of dead sticks and limbs dropping from the tree as it matures.

They're great for wildlife, but keep them as far from your home as you possibly can.

Back when Covid started, someone said to me, "What in the world are we going to do if trucks quit running and all of the grocery stores close?" I said, "I don't know what you are going to do, but I'm going to live on mulberries and songbirds...."

You may want to look at some Paper Mulberry pics

They're filthy trees. Don't plant them near your house. The berries get on everything,it seems. They paint the bottom of your shoes, and then you track purple juice through your house. Birds will flock to the tree to eat the berries and drop purple bird potty on your cars and patio furniture. And they have a growth habit of stretching their dense canopy higher and higher every year while terminating lower growth that no longer receives sunlight. This means a constant barrage of dead sticks and limbs dropping from the tree as it matures.

They're great for wildlife, but keep them as far from your home as you possibly can.
No worries about the location in this case. It's in heavy cover/ sanctuary a couple hundred yards from the house. Lots of overhead cover so it's not getting much sunlight.

If they bear fruit, you better hurry to sample because they don't last long

I don't know of any living creature that doesn't love the taste

bill

I’m about to push out a 1 acre grove of mulberry trees we used them for cattle shade but I’ve changed that field over to row crop so they are about to be cleared out.

IMG_0487.jpeg

Deer LOVE mulberry leaves, the are also very high in protein. The wood from mulberry is very useful, excellent fence post (high rot resistance) and excellent firewood (high BTU)

Agreed. Very messy and lots of rot... best to have a good distance from the house.

well...... bring on the filth!!!!!

And throw in the sawtooth as well

bill

Just lopped a young mulberry & treated the stub with gly and triclopyr a few weeks ago. Birds "planted" it right next to our brick chimney, 6 ft. from our nice patio. As Telemark said - we don't want purple bird crap all over things here. Don't know of a local mulberry tree either. Migrating birds, maybe??