Tree id

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
Any ideas what this is?42AC450A-1429-49AA-9925-C6F11EFF72D7.jpegCC6D06D1-B09A-4191-88CB-2ADACF7E9CDA.jpeg

Is that a cut piece of it laying on the ground? Looks like it maybe a black locust.

Yep, I agree, that has the look like a Scraggly 'ol black locust for sure.

That wasn’t a cut piece from it. It was from some variety of elm tree. Black locust isn’t native around here. Is it good for anything whether wildlife or firewood? I wondered if that wasn’t black locust but couldn’t find a good bark picture. There are a pile of small ones in there that have some thorns on the branches.

Definitely Black Locust if it has the thorns. Best firewood of anything out there next to Honey Locust. Out west they used these for fence post as they are natures treated wood.

You need to try some hedge for firewood. I don’t even keep the honey locust anymore. This is basically in the front yard so I’ll probably cut it for firewood.

You need to try some hedge for firewood. I don’t even keep the honey locust anymore. This is basically in the front yard so I’ll probably cut it for firewood.
Interesting. Never tried it. Is there much wood in a hedge?

It’s osage orange aka bois d ark, aka bodark, aka hedge. Lots of wood and it burns about as close to coal as you can get. I’ve got one down by the Creek that I’ll have to double bar with a 20” bar and it may not do the job.

If it gets sunlight it will stump sprout AND have thorns! My father says that locust and sassafras - you cut one down and 100 more come to the funeral!