Tree ID - Glossy Buckthorn?

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Hey guys...I don't have many invasive species to deal with so I am not well studied in them. I recently cleared some trees from my driveway and came across this 14' tree that I initially was going to keep thinking it was some kind of native dogwood or cherry. Lots of berries and loaded with bees. I tried to key it out and am now thinking it's a non-native buckthorn. Hoping I am wrong. But before I dig it out can somebody confirm that's it's a glossy buckthorn?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3424_zpsuuqpcdcl.jpg

IMG_3420_zpsknplqlf1.jpg

IMG_3418_zpsxel5zvwk.jpg

IMG_3421_zpsffqf4nyw.jpg

IMG_3423_zpssp6wpoyi.jpg

IMG_3425_zpszteqmuql.jpg

Looks like it. Buckthorn here has blue berries when ripe.

Looks like it. Buckthorn here has blue berries when ripe.

Thanks Treespud. Almost positive these turn blue-black in the fall.

That's buckthorn ... incredibly invasive. May look nice in the front yard where it's controlled, but it is probably having it's seeds spread by birds all over. We remove it anywhere we find it.

Probably buckthorn. The give away will be how long it holds its leaves. Buckthorn will hold it leaves, which remain green, at least two weeks later than all of the native trees. I'm zone 5a, about 45 min NW of Milwaukee. I've seen Buckthorn hold its leaves until the weekend before gun season, or two weeks before Thanksgiving. The leaves on all of the natives are long gone by then. You absolutely have to spray the stump with a minimum of 20% active ingredient glyphosate immediately after cutting. It will vigorously sprout from the roots and the stump if you don't.

The birds eat the berries in the fall when there's no other food left and leave purple stains everywhere. The berries are a diuretic. Hence the latin name, Rhamnus cathartica, for common buckthorn. It spreads like crazy and will outcompete all the natives, forming buckthorn deserts. What you'll quickly see is a 10 - 20' tall buckthorn thicket with nothing but dirt and buckthorn seedlings underneath. A combination of buckthorn and high deer densities are lethal to native habitats. The deer know or quickly learn that it's diurectic and eat everything but the buckthorn, speeding the colonization process. They're doing what we do to help our tree seedlings in tree tubes.

I'm in the process of clearing 15+ acres of this crap. I'm about 4.5 acres in.... It's tough, shrubby stuff.

I always carry a quart bottle of Tordon to treat the outer cambium layer of any fresh cut buckthorn stumps. I like it better than glyohosate because it can translocate through the root system. I also use it on black locust.
I have buckthorn on the 2 acre lot where I live. It is almost impossible to get rid of because of how the seeds are spread by the birds.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll take it out. I really don't have a lot of invasives on my land. Every now and then I'll find a single small multi-flora rose and pull it out by the roots. This thing is a quite tall tree growing right in my front yard. I always knew it was there but until I cleared out the trees around it I wasn't sure what it was. Got a backhoe....so it's coming out rootball and all.

They typically top out at 30'.

For any trees that you guys may have to CUT off, I've talked to foresters about how to treat " Tree of Heaven " and other invasives. They told me to treat with Garland 3 mixed with diesel immediately after you make the cut. Foresters said many plants close themselves off only a few minutes after a cut is made as a defensive mechanism for survival. So treating right away is the best course of action to get a good kill.

They advised us to not use Tordon because of a lasting residual effect in the soil. Anyone know more about that ?? I'm assuming it's because if you want to plant anything after you kill the invasive plant, your new plant may die also ??

Honestly I've had luck using undiluted 41% or 54% gly even in February up north. Always sprayed immediately after cutting. Much cheaper and minimal soil residual. The generic triclopyr formulations should work also ("Element" or Alligare Triclopyr).

mlS_ZB-B2TXbEX3jOwZPgZCMsY900Eg36rBOuI0aQwm_DJeevSX-EcUVX1bqpeP4QdRmmPEGtYOPHHJ3HkIU6xdptw98Idbji2NqoFeE4g9rpGIS9tXj9z7IXrE0ttzWbKOI2bjliaTl7hxbmg5g3vmZ3gOTka9zAJBGDWqxO4fxzbzSc-JZnWsN4_2BuFi_ZN3-HVpr6QVX-SiXs4zbYfnynlSCFflN0RKWGx4Eki53RjDJMN4e6bRYsflIQtQujJ5FSD9g8g6mNyl45YmcPz_l5JkMfig3MnCPdJ1Jz3tQ8teIwBgKrpKV1bZlSR_TU65r_SRTlb0ohMzZwvL4Z5yH9Gla4rNEtAxjinwBL6DPVjzAQQw02VXywlHzpHrmLwfijwX5aZ6CbJNhQBqABGOUpZ5fDLDRWQmKbXqyYFuI7D1pPw31rIJYJdiN9GNWsL9c6hBrc39IxjqJ4Kx_hQhkyj-81Jt8mVk-gHdsz3i5DA1VtntCaY1XEvGAE09igo2FZhLGSKwW3I_TiHu_uJb5vs9qCAGztOEhO7AGqewwr9iISMYtP4YqDdyUY2CaZqS3mCXE02HOXClB_qfbFgxLbwLu9NZ-YZVGBgUs1vtHopvRIyrrAIsF9kAL5MSHgYeEl_VJuucHFGGO1yFUY-YRfjviZzk6qTeIkzV5-InwRA=w1689-h950-no
I wondered about buckthorn around here for years. I didn't think it was here then a guy told me it was. I gathered a sample Sunday where he said it was and did yard work later and saw it in the yard. CRAP!

I use Tordon on all black locust and box elder trees I cut on my land. I use it immediately after I cut the tree. Tree down, reach for the bottle and treat the outside layer of the stump. I have not noticed any lasting effects in the soil. However, your experience may vary! Personally, I would consider the effects of spraying diesel fuel on my land to be more harmful.
I believe the important point is to treat the stump with something that will kill it. Otherwise you are just creating several more young trees from the cut stump.

I use Tordon on all black locust and box elder trees I cut on my land. I use it immediately after I cut the tree. Tree down, reach for the bottle and treat the outside layer of the stump. I have not noticed any lasting effects in the soil. However, your experience may vary! Personally, I would consider the effects of spraying diesel fuel on my land to be more harmful.
I believe the important point is to treat the stump with something that will kill it. Otherwise you are just creating several more young trees from the cut stump.
That's good to know. I totally agree with you.

mlS_ZB-B2TXbEX3jOwZPgZCMsY900Eg36rBOuI0aQwm_DJeevSX-EcUVX1bqpeP4QdRmmPEGtYOPHHJ3HkIU6xdptw98Idbji2NqoFeE4g9rpGIS9tXj9z7IXrE0ttzWbKOI2bjliaTl7hxbmg5g3vmZ3gOTka9zAJBGDWqxO4fxzbzSc-JZnWsN4_2BuFi_ZN3-HVpr6QVX-SiXs4zbYfnynlSCFflN0RKWGx4Eki53RjDJMN4e6bRYsflIQtQujJ5FSD9g8g6mNyl45YmcPz_l5JkMfig3MnCPdJ1Jz3tQ8teIwBgKrpKV1bZlSR_TU65r_SRTlb0ohMzZwvL4Z5yH9Gla4rNEtAxjinwBL6DPVjzAQQw02VXywlHzpHrmLwfijwX5aZ6CbJNhQBqABGOUpZ5fDLDRWQmKbXqyYFuI7D1pPw31rIJYJdiN9GNWsL9c6hBrc39IxjqJ4Kx_hQhkyj-81Jt8mVk-gHdsz3i5DA1VtntCaY1XEvGAE09igo2FZhLGSKwW3I_TiHu_uJb5vs9qCAGztOEhO7AGqewwr9iISMYtP4YqDdyUY2CaZqS3mCXE02HOXClB_qfbFgxLbwLu9NZ-YZVGBgUs1vtHopvRIyrrAIsF9kAL5MSHgYeEl_VJuucHFGGO1yFUY-YRfjviZzk6qTeIkzV5-InwRA=w1689-h950-no
I wondered about buckthorn around here for years. I didn't think it was here then a guy told me it was. I gathered a sample Sunday where he said it was and did yard work later and saw it in the yard. CRAP!

Looks like it. I think yours is Common Buckthorn. The one I have is Glossy Buckthorn. Your leaves have a slightly toothed edge, while Glossy has a smooth leaf edge.

There is a native Buckthorn called Alder Leaved Buckthorn to look out for. Did not know that. I am learning a lot.

JFK52 - In my post #9 comment about mixing the Garland with diesel, I should have said the foresters recommended painting the mix on with a paint brush, not spraying. They said to mix it in a pint mason jar with a lid to avoid spills. I have no other info about how to use the chemical and diesel mix. We're trying to hammer the " Tree of Heaven " that has appeared. I'm a greenhorn at combatting invasives like T.O.H. and we don't have some of the ones you guys talk about, like buckthorn.