Transcendent crabs

Tyler

5 year old buck +
Anyone have these? What do you think?

Considering a few for next year.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

There are better choices that fall in the same maturity time and size. Transcendent doesnt have quite as good disease resistance.

I have some dolgos and whutneys should I just add more of those or what would you recommend?

I have

Enterprise x a couple
Liberty x a couple
Gold rush x a couple
Summer crisp pear x a few
Lucious pear x a few
Moonglow pear x a couple
Whitney x a few
Dolgo x a few

Few other random I can't think of.

Thinking of

Gala
Galena
Keifer

Meant florina and galarena not gala and galena.

Looking for lower maintenance for bowhunting.

Looking for lower maintenance for bowhunting.

You have a nice selection currently. When is your bow season and where are you located?

WI, 4a, mid September until early January.

Kiefer pear?

Kiefer pear?

Zone 4 is borderline for Kieffer. Zone 4 is borderline for alot of pears we are growing some less common pears that are reportedly hardy to -30 degrees but dont have them available yet for sale.

Chestnut crabapple would be another good crabapple for you.

Check out the other crab threads just a few down in the habitat forums for some more ideas. Most listed are probably good for zone 4. For pears copied this list from Maple Valley Orchards seems they have gone out of the bareroot side and only do scion wood sales but still might think about these varieties they say are good for Zones 3-4. Could also check Wallace Woodstock nursery site or maybe Wolfraths Nursery. All the ones just mentioned are based in WI

Pear Scionwood
Clapps Favorite Golden Spice Rotkottis Frau Ostergotland
Clapp's Favorite, Red Japanese Golden Russet Spartlett
Des Urbanistes Luscious Summer Crisp
Flemish Beauty Nova Winter Nelis
German A Parker
Golden Spice Rotkottis Frau Ostergotland

I have one transcendent crab planted in 2010. Tree is tall and growing nicely but no crabs yet. It is on edge of my orchard and likely hurting for sun.

I'd be planting a few Chestnut crabapples, maybe a few Kerr crabapples too. Chestnut will be dropping for bow season.

anywhere I can get both chestnut and kerr from the same place?

Tyler, My kerr was still holding during opening day gun. It's got good size, disease resistance and bears early.

CameraZOOM-20151121133118879.jpg

Oh and btw Tyler, I think Turkey Creek is actually trading a couple Kieffers to me in spring, I can certainly keep you posted on how they do. Summercrisp and Flemish Beauty pears have already survived some harsh winters for me and grown very well. Do you have any Dunstan's? They grow as good as jack pines in our sand.

CameraZOOM-20150912130817501.jpg

Turkey, I still need to get a list together of what I can spare/trade. Are you after anything in particular?

I'm also painting the trunks of all my fruit trees now too. White latex paint + water + captan. We will have sunscauld in our area.

CameraZOOM-20150822122644819.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150822123932996.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also painting the trunks of all my fruit trees now too. White latex paint + water + captan. We will have sunscauld in our area.

CameraZOOM-20150822122644819.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150822123932996.jpg

Another way to deal with sunscauld is to leave some lower limbs on the south and southwest side of the trees. Don't remove all of those lower limbs! Winter shade, or a few weeds, makes a big difference.

I have also folded the aluminum window screen over so the excess is on the Sw side of the tree and then stapled it in place.

Very true art, the only thing i dont like about leaving lower branches is they are difficult to work around when putting window screen around the trunk.