Training Apple Tree Limbs?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I'm pondering a cannon ball run to my hometown to check on some things while the weather is decent. I've got some apple trees that need to have some branches trained outward. What should I use to tie down the limbs? Should I get some lengths of hose to run the twine through to prevent bark damage? Maybe a loop of cotton fabric of some sort?

As long as you get the big guage wire you shouldn't need anything

If they are relatively small trees, I've used either 14 gauge wire or jute twine with success.

What are others using? 14 gauge wire working for most to tie to their cages?

Many things work just do not completely encircle the limb you are tying down either with cord, twine or wire. Big loop with a knot that wont slip or just a "u" bend on the wire end.

I found some awesome stuff to use in a junk pile at our farm. It's essentially 5-6 small strands of wire encompassed into a rubber coating. It worked great. The new cages I put up work awesome to help tie off the wire to make the limb bend where you want it!

3rd leaf Whitney Crab that finally got a proper cage so the deer can't eat at it this year!

2nd leaf NY Bonkers that was transplanted to this location this spring

I found some awesome stuff to use in a junk pile at our farm. It's essentially 5-6 small strands of wire encompassed into a rubber coating. It worked great. The new cages I put up work awesome to help tie off the wire to make the limb bend where you want it!

3rd leaf Whitney Crab that finally got a proper cage so the deer can't eat at it this year!

I wouldnt be quite that optimistic. I have found that with concrete wire unless I run a band of chicken wire around it about 2' off the ground the anterless deer learn they can stick their heads through the gaps. If you dont make the circumfrence of the cement wire big enough they will strip what they can reach

2nd leaf NY Bonkers that was transplanted to this location this spring