All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Tree question

Skelly

5 year old buck +
I found this tree last year and I believe it to be an apple tree of some sort.
It’s stands probably 25’ tall straight up. Branches are all pretty thin with little branching coming off of the scaffolds.

I realeased it this winter trying to see if it would bud out but nothing happened this spring. I have the available space to add some more apples probably some crabs to help with pollination

My question is what are the next steps I should take. Pretty well established tree with should be good root system based off the size. Should I just thin the branches out and let it roll?D28E13AD-8758-4BBA-A4BD-5465DD7CFC20.jpegF065DF17-0D1F-4217-B94D-E0E4F34018D6.jpegAB6082DA-331F-4A8B-B0D5-73D95E92B622.jpegF226C3FE-C16B-492D-9CF4-754586845D3C.jpeg? Or try my hand at grafting a desired variety?

Thanks in advance :emoji_laughing:

It's that tall & thin because it's trying to get more sunlight. It's competing with those big trees near it for nutrients and sun.

The leaves remind me of a pear of some sort, or a crab apple. It would depend on how much you want to keep it - or those big trees near it. If it's really important to you to keep that crabapple tree, you might want to cut 1 or 2 of those big trees down and give it room & more sunlight to thicken and flourish.

It's that tall & thin because it's trying to get more sunlight. It's competing with those big trees near it for nutrients and sun.

The leaves remind me of a pear of some sort, or a crab apple. It would depend on how much you want to keep it - or those big trees near it. If it's really important to you to keep that crabapple tree, you might want to cut 1 or 2 of those big trees down and give it room & more sunlight to thicken and flourish.

When I found it last year it was definitely struggling for sunlight. I cut 10-12 trees that were shading it out this winter.

I have gone back and forth on what type of tree it is pear vs Apple. I posted this question last year for clarity but unfortunately no one chimed in on what they thought it was.

I have 10 apples and 3 pears currently planted in another area so I am open to either planting anything to help this tree.

It looks like a flowering crabapple to me. Cut the big trees down around it or it may never flower much at all.

It looks like a flowering crabapple to me. Cut the big trees down around it or it may never flower much at all.

I understand. I elimated quite a few trees South Southwest of the tree. This photo is with the tree directly behind my back.

The tree is in the northern edge of the area I cleared. I can cut down the willow oak in the center of the tree the rest are White oaks. It should get 6-7 hours of a day.

With it potentially being a flowering crab, can I graft a fruit bearing crab?

Attachments

• 5583763F-FBDB-4132-983A-3E9EBA305721.jpeg
    5583763F-FBDB-4132-983A-3E9EBA305721.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 7