Blight? Apple tree questions?

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
So looking at a few of my trees the other day, I noticed some aren’t looking in the best of shape. The first it looks like only the central leader is black and dead, the other branches are still ok. On another tree it seems the whole top is dry and dead but much new growth is coming from beneath?

Pics below. What do you guys recommend I do at this stage? Can I trim them up now? Will they recover? What if and should I remove? What can I do to prevent further damage? These were never “painted white”, is that why this happened?

Thanks
F57655F2-0E74-4573-8E19-5C5E7655C5A3.jpeg96F652C0-E1AF-4BFD-8DE0-1DC01C49D9F2.jpeg

I'd prune 6-8" below the dead part where you can choose a new, healthy central leader. I can't tell the exact cause from the photos.

Any chance the living part of the tree was insulated by snow for most of the winter?

What variety?

Welcome to zone 4a. I hate pears. Cut them down and save your heart ache.

Welcome to zone 4a. I hate pears. Cut them down and save your heart ache.
So you get a little lake-effect snow over there, do you? :-)
(Mid-lower Michigan; Midland MI, Zone 5)

These are Wolf River and Liberty apple trees. This was there second winter. They maybe had a foot of snow around them, maybe more, but certainly not up to the dead spot.

Is it safe to prune this time of year in Central MN? If so, any suggestions what I should remove?

Im afraid this will continue to happen if i dont change something?

Thanks for the comments

Have you grabbed the trunks and given them a wiggle to make sure nothing has eaten/girdled the roots? Liberty and Wolf River should be hardy in your area.

Have you grabbed the trunks and given them a wiggle to make sure nothing has eaten/girdled the roots? Liberty and Wolf River should be hardy in your area.
Theyre solid! I have fabric down with much and the 24" white protection tube.

In your second pic is the dead/damaged area on the southwest side of the trunk?

If the 2nd photo is SW injury, it must have happened during it's first winter.

In your second pic is the dead/damaged area on the southwest side of the trunk?
Yeah south southwest

Yeah south southwest
Southwest disease or sunscauld then. Paint your trees with a mix of white interior latex and drywall compound. Add a bit of water to loosen the mix up.

I agree with Chickenlittle, cut them back. At least that 2nd one, I cannot see the damage as clearly in the first photo.

I have had SW injury on a number of my Sugar Tyme crabs, and I have been able to save them by cutting them off below the damaged area. Not sure you need to go the full 6-8" since it is not fireblight. Just cut back until you get into clean, solid wood and bark. Doesn't look like your trees have broken bud yet, I would do it right now. It sounds extreme, but hey are young, they will bounce back.