All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Train to Hunt

Nice work tooln! I am afraid I will have to lose a considerable amount of weight before the ortho decides to do my knees, at least that is the indication he gave me.

Agreed, great job tooln. My progress follows how my bad knee goes and right now it's back to feeling great. The more I train, the stronger my knee gets so my goal is to put off needing a new knee for many years.

OEM is better then a replacement. But I don't have the daily pain I use to have. That sucker was just plain bone on bone.

OEM is better then a replacement. But I don't have the daily pain I use to have. That sucker was just plain bone on bone.
I've been there for many years already tooln and the ortho would like me to be able to wait 7 to 8 more as I am only 45. Most research says with current technology in knees you don't get a redo when they wear out like a hip. Things I have read and a couple folks I've talked to have told me first hand that they are very, very hard to rehab from the second time, as they sometimes have to take more bone away to get it to work. Also, infection rates are higher as well. Glad I work a desk job now, most days anyway. I wouldn't be doing 10 hour days if I were still out on the floor that's for sure. So I just bite the bullet and eat a lot of naproxen. The implants are getting better every year, so maybe they will come up with some breakthrough idea soon. One question, can you kneel on them for extended periods of time, like while planting trees and such and how hard is it to get back up when you do?

Nice work shawn. It's not always about the weight loss, sometimes it's about being more "fit" and not getting winded when climbing for elk.
It's tough to not be winded when climbing mountains. Elevation always makes it hard to breathe when climbing no matter how good of shape your in. Sounds like you've got a good head start though for an enjoyable elk hunt Shawn. I would also try to add some long distance running if it's not in your plan that will help a lot to control breathing and heart rate. It's tough to do with bad knees but it's doable if you build slowly. I've ran some long distances in my day with bad knees. First couple days in the mountains are always tough but being in shape allows you to bounce back very quickly. Good luck!

I've been hitting the gym here in AZ on a regular basis. Been good for me. Shed a few lbs....and hope to shed some more. Been doing time on an elliptical and treadmill and do most of the weight machines. Gonna start a Kettle Bell class and play some Pickle Ball, Golf and ride my bike. On the go constantly. Its a good active lifestyle.....and most folks here say it will add to your enjoyment in life.

I got some arthritis and some joint problems in my ankles, knees, shoulders ,hips, elbows and such. My arms hurt most of the time. Always fighting stiff joints and back and neck pains. I went to therapy in MN and learned some exercises which help some. But I gotta wonder if some rotator cuff surgery is in my near future. Just like Rosanne, Rossana Dana sez: "It's always sumthing".

One thing that has helped me is putting some elastic compression supports on my arms.....especially when playing golf (I gott quit hitting so hard and striking the ground :() . (Maybe that red spandex suit would help too? ;) )

We got a rule down here called "the Pebble Creek Rule". If you talk about your aches and pains for over 5 minutes......your finished.....and someone will invoke "the rule". Nobody wants to hear the problems we all got. ;) Lately I been saying:" you gotta learn to play hurt". ;) Suck it up......Cause, sadly, It don't get any easier boys. :eek: (Hope I remember that advice :( )

It's tough to not be winded when climbing mountains. Elevation always makes it hard to breathe when climbing no matter how good of shape your in. Sounds like you've got a good head start though for an enjoyable elk hunt Shawn. I would also try to add some long distance running if it's not in your plan that will help a lot to control breathing and heart rate. It's tough to do with bad knees but it's doable if you build slowly. I've ran some long distances in my day with bad knees. First couple days in the mountains are always tough but being in shape allows you to bounce back very quickly. Good luck!

I've had a bad knee for 15 years now so it's manageable and actually the more I run the better it gets opposed to what some experience, after a few weeks the knee soreness is gone too. Prior to tweaking my knee I was doing up to 7k during the week depending on how much time I had that day. My goal is to be back to least at the 7k mark and then be able to do a hill climb with an 50+lb pack.

When I was in a groove I had a schedule something like this:

Day 1: stretch, long run, stretch
Day 2: stretch, short run (1mi), weights for 30-50 minutes (upper body), core focus 5 minutes,stretch
Day 3: stretch, short run (1mi) with sprints and walking, weights for 30-50 minutes (lower body), stretch
Day 4: rest
Day 5: stretch, long run
Day 6: In the past this would be short run and weights but now it will be hill climb with weight pack, core focus 5 minutes, stretch
Day 7: stretch, short run (1mi), weights for 30-50 minutes (upper body & lower body), core focus 5 minutes, stretch

I may change it up more this time depending where I think I will need the work to manage the altitude.

I've been hitting the gym here in AZ on a regular basis. Been good for me. Shed a few lbs....and hope to shed some more. Been doing time on an elliptical and treadmill and do most of the weight machines. Gonna start a Kettle Bell class and play some Pickle Ball, Golf and ride my bike. On the go constantly. Its a good active lifestyle.....and most folks here say it will add to your enjoyment in life.

I got some arthritis and some joint problems in my ankles, knees, shoulders ,hips, elbows and such. My arms hurt most of the time. Always fighting stiff joints and back and neck pains. I went to therapy in MN and learned some exercises which help some. But I gotta wonder if some rotator cuff surgery is in my near future. Just like Rosanne, Rossana Dana sez: "It's always sumthing".

One thing that has helped me is putting some elastic compression supports on my arms.....especially when playing golf (I gott quit hitting so hard and striking the ground :() . (Maybe that red spandex suit would help too? ;) )

We got a rule down here called "the Pebble Creek Rule". If you talk about your aches and pains for over 5 minutes......your finished.....and someone will invoke "the rule". Nobody wants to hear the problems we all got. ;) Lately I been saying:" you gotta learn to play hurt". ;) Suck it up......Cause, sadly, It don't get any easier boys. :eek: (Hope I remember that advice :( )

My wife has a bad back and knee from a few surgeries and her and my daughter have done DDP Yoga and they get a good workout without the joint and back pains. If I had your issues, I would focus on stretching and yoga (without the yoga mystic mumbo jumbo). The DDP program is more suited for guys opposed to other yoga and has many good reviews.

There is also a new paradigm shift that salt and fat is not the culprit of the many health issues, it's sugar, sugar, sugar and all of it's kin. Sugar leads to joint inflammation so if you have any issues with your joints you need to look at your daily sugar/carb intake.

I agree totally shawn, I feel so much better now that I have been cut off from soda, candy bars, and chips. It is like night and day. My knees used to suffer walking into the basement and back upstairs with a basket of laundry, now after cutting out the sugar/carbs and losing only around 15 lbs so far, I hardly notice it any more. As you have stated, I probably eat as much or more salt and fat than before and way more protein, something has to make up for the lost intake of carbs. The extra protein really helps maintain the muscle mass as the weight comes off as well.

You're lucky MoBuck, I'll be getting no such gift from my wife. She is pi$$ed that I am taking the weight off faster than she is at the moment. I keep telling her it is because I have much more weight to lose than she does, but like any woman, she's not buying it no matter how true it is. For MoBuck or any other diabetics out there, do some research on a product called ALA(Alpha Lipodic Acid), it is an essential amino acid that helps your cells metabolize sugars. I started taking it right after I was diagnosed with diabetes and I ran out about a week and a half ago and have noticed my numbers have jumped up about 10 points on average after I stopped taking it. I need to get my butt to the pharmacy to get some more. Wal-Mart sells a months supply for around $8(3 pills per day). Cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

Mine isn't either MoBuck, but in the next breath he said there was nothing wrong with trying it, as it didn't have any negative affects on the diabetes or high bp meds I am taking. So I decided to roll the dice and now am finding out that it has at least a small affect on my glucose number. My average number for the 2 weeks prior to running out was around 109 and since running out over the last 10 days has averaged around 117, that's enough difference to make me spend the $8 to see if it brings the number back down again over the next few weeks.

My first reading at the doc was 395 and 2 months later I now get readings between 95 and 125 consistently. I haven't been over 200 since Dec 4th. It will come down, just stay the course. It does sound like your meds could use a little boost though? I don't think it would hurt to try something to help with that. One caveat to the ALA that I may have mentioned before, it makes your pee smell funny, but I'm ok with that as long as it keeps me from those d*mn injections.