All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailcam pics

Accidently posted this in the live from the tree thread and moved it here.

The front came through last night and the deer were very active for my area. Got more pics of deer from 7p on than I typically get in a week and both of the shooters I have on cam came through within 30 minutes of each other, plus three more bucks in the 2-3 yo range. Problem is I only have 10 acres, so the likelihood of me seeing them again is slim.

Unfortunately not great pics.

This one is a 10.

This one is an 8.

Every now and then you get an odd pic. I'm guessing this is an owl and a porky? Anybody I.D. this?
owl and porky.jpeg

And then I have been hearing about a Cougar in our little town. My neighbor has been putting food scraps out at night and wonder what has been eating them. lol.

cougar.jpeg

In the past few days (since it got cold here) my trail cam pictures have ground to a halt. What's up with that?? Rifle season is a few days away.....and the deer have vanished? Same thing happened last year.

In the past few days (since it got cold here) my trail cam pictures have ground to a halt. What's up with that?? Rifle season is a few days away.....and the deer have vanished? Same thing happened last year.
Same. The first couple days were BOMBER! Since then it has dropped off. I will say I sat last night and had 9 does in the field and not a single buck. My guess is someone came into heat and every boy for a few miles around are busy roughing each other up over her...

Last year on Nov 3 I had a doe come into estrus and watched the nicest buck in the area run 10 different bucks away that morning before noon. Got to see posturing, fighting, heard snort weezes before daylight. Really opened my eyes to how powerful those first early doe's scent can be. Probably pulled 90% of the bucks in a couple hundred acre area that morning, would be my guess.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a little button buck this year that just lost his spots a few weeks ago and he already has bottlecap sized buttons.
I know it is him because the tip of his ear is deformed slightly. With him throwing decent buttons for such a young age, and being easily identifiable because of the ear, I’m tempted to shoot his momma so he doesn’t disperse and I can follow him as he ages.

I have a little button buck this year that just lost his spots a few weeks ago and he already has bottlecap sized buttons.
I know it is him because the tip of his ear is deformed slightly. With him throwing decent buttons for such a young age, and being easily identifiable because of the ear, I’m tempted to shoot his momma so he doesn’t disperse and I can follow him as he ages.

Sounds like a cool science experiment in theory, until he gets hit by a car next week and the doe isnt around to contribute to producing another research subject! LOL

I was 18 yds to the left of this buck this evening when he got his picture taken. Couldn’t get a clean shot with the longbow. Never seen him before and probably never see him again. The surprise of November sightings never ceases

Is there an area near you that does not get hunted? More does somewhere else ?

Tough call ?

Sounds like a cool science experiment in theory, until he gets hit by a car next week and the doe isnt around to contribute to producing another research subject! LOL

Totally true possibility! Though, I need at least 2 deer in the freezer, and I can only shoot 1 buck with an unbranched antler (minimum 13” inside spread), and 1 buck with an in-branched antler, in this county. I have zero bucks on camera with a true, unbranched antler other than this button buck. But, I do have a total of 4 mature does, with fawns, on camera. We just moved (this season) from 5 allowed doe harvest days to 15 days. I can shoot 1 doe between November 4th and November 19th this year. With a deer density of maybe 5 DPSM, vehicle collisions are fairly rare. I would more likely lose him, in the next year or two, to coyote predation… which is VERY high in this area.

Same. The first couple days were BOMBER! Since then it has dropped off. I will say I sat last night and had 9 does in the field and not a single buck. My guess is someone came into heat and every boy for a few miles around are busy roughing each other up over her...

I am in north Texas, where hard winter storms are rare and often short. So, my experience is probably not applicable to you. BUT…

Our deer here hunker down for storms rather than hit food. Storms are usually only 4-5 days max, and the deer have realized that they can sit tight in good bedding spots and wait out the cold. Further north, it makes sense that they pack on the calories…. The whole winter is already cold, the storms just exasperate it. But down here, the winters are mild EXCEPT for the storms. Thus, the deer just deal with the storms by WAITING for better weather.

I was 18 yds to the left of this buck this evening when he got his picture taken. Couldn’t get a clean shot with the longbow. Never seen him before and probably never see him again. The surprise of November sightings never ceases

Nice little 10. He would make an excellent addition to any wall! I would be especially tickled pink if I could have taken him with a longbow. Wish you could have gotten a shot!!!