Tossed Rye?

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Will winter rye grain sprout and take root if just tossed on the ground? We have a plot of red clover that's 1 year old and it has some thin spots. We don't want to tear it up with discs, so if we just broadcast the rye by rotary spreader, will that work?? We'd like to have more green once the clover starts to crap out with the cold. Thanks in advance for any & all help!

Will winter rye grain sprout and take root if just tossed on the ground? We have a plot of red clover that's 1 year old and it has some thin spots. We don't want to tear it up with discs, so if we just broadcast the rye by rotary spreader, will that work?? We'd like to have more green once the clover starts to crap out with the cold. Thanks in advance for any & all help!
As long as you get seed soil contact and moisture, it will sprout. A cultipacker after broadcasting helps and won't hurt the clover.

Go a little heavy on the rye because of birds, like Jack said maybe cultipack or just run over it with your tractor or atv tires.

Yeah toss it out heavy and hopefully catch a good rain! I do it all the time. Spread and walk away is my go to technique lol

In my experience, this time of year when the mornings are cool it actually doesn't even take that much rain. The morning dew every day is enough to get it to germinate and grow well.

It grew in the back of my truck with a topper on, and there wasnt that much dirt in the back of my truck.

When just throwing on top do you guys have a high percentage that don't take off. I have done it several times and it seems that while some takes off there is always quite a bit of seed just laying there as well.

Soil contact, a little moisture and it will germinate down to 32 F. About as food proof & simple grain to grow as you can get.

I think rye will germinate on a damp side-walk. I too have had it grow in a pile of wood bark and just crud (not actual soil) in the bed of my truck before.

If I put a layer of dirt in the bed of my truck and plant the rye, because I know it will grow...and the deer get into the bed of the truck to eat it....is it still poaching if you are shooting deer that are already in your truck???? :emoji_thinking:

I am checking my plot on Saturday. If it has any bare spots or is sparse,etc, I am going to ground broadcast up to 100lbs of rye.

Ray

I am checking my plot on Saturday. If it has any bare spots or is sparse,etc, I am going to ground broadcast up to 100lbs of rye.

Ray

Don't be afraid to go even heavier than that, especially if rain isn't in the forecast. Birds and other creatures eat half the seed I fling unless it rains immediately. Last time I was at my place I poured the WR to my bare spots. That evening I sat in a box blind since the wind was right. I watched a skunk eat WR seed for about 20 minutes before it scampered off.

I am hoping that my field is lush and green just preparing for the worst. I will grab more rye if needed. Thanks!

When just throwing on top do you guys have a high percentage that don't take off. I have done it several times and it seems that while some takes off there is always quite a bit of seed just laying there as well.

It is a cereal cover crop ... it only roots and sprouts in in the fall. Full mature growth happens the following spring.

It's $11-$13 per 55 lbs ... 50-100 lbs is great for 1 acre ... what doesn't green up in the fall greens up in the spring. It will grow in your living room carpet with moisture added.

If you can't get WR to germinate ... you probably don't have a future as a food plotter .... stop over thinking it ...

I had rye germinate and subsequently grow to maturity on a log laying in the shade near one of my plots.

It is a cereal cover crop ... it only roots and sprouts in in the fall. Full mature growth happens the following spring.

It's $11-$13 per 55 lbs ... 50-100 lbs is great for 1 acre ... what doesn't green up in the fall greens up in the spring. It will grow in your living room carpet with moisture added.

If you can't get WR to germinate ... you probably don't have a future as a food plotter .... stop over thinking it ...

Your rye is high priced. I have had nice thick lush rye plots but I had to try to incorporate it into the soil at least a little. Have just noticed that when I just throw on top there ends up being quite a bit of seed that doesn't seem to grow.

I’ve not had food luck with rye in clover. Don’t know why. It just doesn’t seem to dig in..maybe I went to light with the throw and go.

Rye is idiot proof......

To quote Hank Williams,Jr........."Im living proof".........

bill

I just broadcast rye and wheat mixed together a couple days ago and it's been raining ever since. First time I've ever tried wheat. The mix was 2 to 1 rye/wheat. Put it on plots that already had stuff growing to give the deer something green this winter as long as the snow doesn't get too deep this winter. Rye does even better in a plot that already has clover if I take the disc and just scratch the surface(clover seems to love abuse and then the rye gets a little better soil contact).

Thanks for all the input gents !! I guess I'll be casting rye then.