Top 10 Worst Deer Hunting States

The fact of the matter remains that WI has, does, and will continue to produce copious amounts of book class deer regardless of the fact that we have some of the cheapest out of state license fees in the country for both resident and non-resident hunters and regardless of the fact that we sell unlimited amounts of those cheap tags. Any other states willing to step up to the table and compete with that?

I don't like the aesthetics of Iowa. or any high Ag areas like Central/Southern Wisconsin. I'm more of a big woods guy. Even if that means not as good deer hunting. I'll take Wisconsin.

Whip--I think you partially correct. I will say that if they double the NR tags from 6000 to 12,000 you would see very little if any drop in the quality. The key thing IA has going is the late gun season. Plus they push deer down in December like the old days and with shotguns not rifles. Most big bucks escape the push in the heavy thick timber and CRP down there.

There are plenty of hunters. I see more bow hunters and more gun hunters down there than I do in MN. I saw 15 guys line up and push the timber next to us and watched 20-25 deer with my binoculars including a monster buck escape the orange army with uncanny precision!!

note--If they opened it up to 30,000-40,000 NR hunters well then of course that would really hurt the quality.

WI averages around 45,000 non-res buck tags issued each season amongst all weapons.

Hey we like are yearling bucks served over tators or rice, don't make fun of us!

IA is the place to be for big bucks, no doubt. Buy land w/ some ag, lease out the crops, & lease the hunting rights the years you don't draw. Or get into country music and start hunting the Drury & Lakosky farms!

I would guess that by doubling the amount of NR tags and putting an extra 6000 hunters in the woods would absolutely degrade the quality over time. It might take 3-4 years to realize the effect though. I think IA DNR has a pretty good handle on it.

IA is the place to be for big bucks, no doubt. Buy land w/ some ag, lease out the crops, & lease the hunting rights the years you don't draw. Or get into country music and start hunting the Drury & Lakosky farms!

........ I think IA DNR has a pretty good handle on it.

You mean the same IA DNR that posted this in their hunting handbookIowa DNR book.png

Keep in mind the same IA DNR that has tried to move the season up into November, and is trying to get more NR tags for more state revenue. Don't pat them on the back too hard.

Maybe they emailed Leslie for a deer pic for their handbook.

You mean the same IA DNR that posted this in their hunting handbookView attachment 7601

Keep in mind the same IA DNR that has tried to move the season up into November, and is trying to get more NR tags for more state revenue. Don't pat them on the back too hard.

Do you see this ever actually happening?

Do you see this ever actually happening?

I think they will increase tags to small extent. I know the one DNR guy is on video saying they cringe when they send back millions to unsuccessful applicants ....(4000 x $550)

I think they will increase tags to small extent. I know the one DNR guy is on video saying they cringe when they send back millions to unsuccessful applicants ....(4000 x $550)

I'm sure they go back and forth on increasing tags and by how many.

The little lady and I both have (3) preference points for Iowa and should draw next year if we decide to apply for a tag. $150 in points for the right to buy a $550 tag! It will probably be the last time we go as the cost gets to be prohibitive.

I'm sure they go back and forth on increasing tags and by how many.

The little lady and I both have (3) preference points for Iowa and should draw next year if we decide to apply for a tag. $150 in points for the right to buy a $550 tag! It will probably be the last time we go as the cost gets to be prohibitive.

It is terribly high. I don't think it right. I pay it, but not happy about it. The shotgun tag is a bit cheaper, but you have to hunt with a local.

Mn. was #1 20 years ago then they decided to have the gun opener during the peak rut.
The gun opener has been during the rut for over 45 years, at least.