Tool'n Knife Builds

lO

Love it! May have to have you make a knife just so you have to use it.
2 already in the works. One Elk the other Whitetail antler handle. I want to get both done before this weekends show. They should both get handles epoxied on today if I get off the keyboard and back to the shop.

Stupid question maybe, but whats in the roller you made? I assume stones of some sort but is that all?

I like it! Are either of those available?

Stupid question maybe, but whats in the roller you made? I assume stones of some sort but is that all?
My village has a huge compost site, which also has a huge pile of concrete, stone & blacktop. This comes from local contractors, old driveways, street repairs and such. When this pile get large enough they have it all crushed and then it is used or sold. I picked through and found stones and busted up concrete with sharp edges. I could have bought some ceramic tumbling media but this stuff was FREE. So a handful of stones and some WD40, tumble for about 10 minutes after a 20 minute etch. I can etch shorter or longer for a lighter or darker etch.

Last edited:
I like it! Are either of those available?
I was thinking of keeping the Elk handle for myself. But I have said that about several of my builds. So yes they are both available. However I have not had a chance to make sheaths for them yet. I also have a show coming up next weekend that I'd like to display them. If anyone is interested I can hold them.

Shoot me a PM with some details.

Yesterday I went to place an order for more leather. The last time I ordered was in December. For the same leather from the same place the price has just about doubled, so close you may as well say it did. I checked steel prices this AM, it's also up. Not as bad as leather but it's up. This is going to force me to raise my prices. I'm sorry but I have no choice. I haven't figured out the new prices yet but I'll still give forum members the very best deal I can.

It has been almost exactly 1 year since I've started making knives. It all started as lets see if I can make a decent one. Since the start I have made 35, donated a few to local fund raisers, gave a few away and sold the rest. I buddy of mine hooked me up with a sports shop in northern WI and he came back from is cabin the other day with an order for 5. Looks like I'll be busy for a while.

I'm not sure if I had mentioned it before if not I will do it now. For a long term storage you should not keep any knife in the leather sheath as leather draws moisture. Moisture equals rust keep your blades clean and lubricated.

A while ago a friend asked me if I was interested in a project for him. He has a knife that has been handed down through the family for 100+ years. His grandfather taught him how to butcher with it. The knife was used by his great grandfather, grandfather, father and now him. After years of use and sharpening there is not much left to it. He wanted me to duplicate it the best I could. He wanted me to use my best judgment to make the blade how it may have been originally. I finished it up today and here are pics of both knives. He is going to retire the old knife and put it in a display. 20220406_135740resize.jpg

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a sports shop in Northern WI. I ended up getting an order for 5 knives. 3 of them were for a wedding so I had been busy getting them done for the wedding. The other 2 were for customers they have. 20220406_073822r.jpg20220406_074028r.jpg20220413_092810r.jpg20220413_092502r.jpg

Haven't posted much lately been busy. Every time I make a knife I'm calling a keeper someone see's it and wants to buy it. I'm in that position again so here's another one I'm going to call a keeper. It will have a stone washed blade and a white oak handle. Making the handle and blade profile different than any other I've ever made. Big bucks will have to be shelled out if anyone wants this one.

20220527_173704.jpg

Nice to see your hobby / business keeping you off the streets and out of jail. Grin.:emoji_wink: WTG Tool'n.

Unless I am mistaken I am your first knife customer? be interesting to mark a number behind the Tool'n brand. That way they are all "originals" Like: Tool'n 42. Not sure if you can etch really tiny numbers?

Nice to see your hobby / business keeping you off the streets and out of jail. Grin.:emoji_wink: WTG Tool'n.

Unless I am mistaken I am your first knife customer? be interesting to mark a number behind the Tool'n brand. That way they are all "originals" Like: Tool'n 42. Not sure if you can etch really tiny numbers?
Yes Foggy you were my first sale. I wouldn't be able to etch anything that small and it still be ledgeable. No 2 knives are identical, maybe close but never identical. I can't give you the exact number of builds as my laptop with that data is in for repair and it's a hassle to get my backup drive from the safe. But it's in the 50's. It does keep me busy and out of trouble. If memory serves me right I have knives in over 10 different states.

All it need now is to be sharpened and make a sheath. I love the looks and feel if it. Calling it my keeper. White Oak handle and stone washed blade.

20220603_091900.jpg

Finally finished the sheath. It has a belt clip and python inlay.
20220609_150014.jpg

Attachments

• 20220609_150039.jpg
    20220609_150039.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220609_150444.jpg
    20220609_150444.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 16
Since I've been making knives I've always wanted to build a larger forge. Currently what I'm using is only big enough to heat treat blanks. I want to be able to make some canister or stacked damascus blade blanks. I've been collecting pieces here and there and finally have time to start the build. The main body of the forge is an old air compressor tank, I've made some hinges & legs from scraps I had laying around. I have most of the parts to make the burners which there will be 3. I still need to source my supplies to line the forge with. Here's what I have so far.

20220622_140847.jpg

Attachments

• 20220622_180716.jpg
    20220622_180716.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220623_151544.jpg
    20220623_151544.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220623_181004.jpg
    20220623_181004.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220623_181501.jpg