To plant or not to plant

KY wild

5 year old buck +
AT the end of July we had plenty of moisture and I thought of planting fall plots but long term forecast said no precipitation for two weeks. Now it is 2nd week of Sept. and we have not had a drop since August 1st. I read a thread by Native Hunter (2hrs from me) which said he was planting because he had plenty of moisture at the time and was afraid it would dry up and he would not get a chance later. I looked at it the opposite and thought if I planted it would germinate and then die in the drought, so thought would be better waiting. I guess what I am asking is what do most of you do, plant early and hope it makes it or wait it out and hope rain will come early enough before winter. I usually only plant when imminent rain is coming but It seems this often leaves me trying to plant mid October which is really late for much help. I may be better off rolling dice in other direction and at least get some in the ground, around Western Ky August and Sept. tend to be drought often in the last decade, exactly when I would like to be planting. How do you gentleman handle the situation?

Well, I’m literally in your same shoes. I’m also in western Kentucky. I think you are spot on, we have not had any measurable rain since at least August 1. None in the 10 day as well. I simply had to plant last weekend. I am having a baby Next week and it’s basically now or sometime in October and honestly I’d rather hunt if I have the time. I expect all my effort to be in vain though. It was so dry I was coughing up a lung all evening after spending the day on the tractor. I just broadcast wheat, rye and clover in hopes something will take at some point. If you have flexibility I’d wait

This waiting for the possibility of rain to time planting is one of my peeves. Dry or not - plant on schedule. I do think it takes more attention to how you plant. Make good seed to soil contact and get the seed at the right depth. Maybe add a couple extra pounds. Moisture isn't the only limiting factor in plant growth. Growing degree days and day length also have impact. And i think, except in the most extreme cases, seed in dry ground will wait. Even a brief shower is probably not enough to kick start germination. Now, an inch of rain followed by hot dry weather for an extended period of time can be fatal...but we are approaching fall with declining periods of sunshine at a reduced angle to terrain. Yes there is risk. My position is if you don't want risk don't plant seeds. They do absolutely no good in the bag. If you are still unconvinced buy some of the cheapest seed you can find and let it fly. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed 8 times out of 10.

I'm in a pickle now this year. I broke my cardinal rule and didn't hammer all my brassica plots in at the first good chance of rain beginning in mid July. The few plots that I pushed hard on and got that accomplished, look great right now. I'm strictly a thrower, so I will not "plant" (spread) unless rain is likely. We're stuck in a dry pattern and the growing season is nearly over. I'm banking on rye for the rescue, but there's no rain chances in the 15-day forecast, and beyond that it'll be hit or miss if I have any free time to spread. If I do have a free day in Oct, I'd choose spreading rye over hunting. Want the winter food.