Time release nitrogen fertilizer

Yearling... With promise
Hi all, this is my first post in the food plot fourm. I've been food plotting for years in the Northeast Pennsylvania area. Having read almost every thread involving turnips, I have yet to see anyone using time release 46-0-0 fertilizer. I apply 100lbs of 19-19-19 per acre at time of seeding, wait until plants are about 6 inches and apply 100 lbs per acre of time release nitrogen. The benefits of this method is you don't have to wait for a rain event to apply. I'm no expert just wondering

Hi all, this is my first post in the food plot fourm. I've been food plotting for years in the Northeast Pennsylvania area. Having read almost every thread involving turnips, I have yet to see anyone using time release 46-0-0 fertilizer. I apply 100lbs of 19-19-19 per acre at time of seeding, wait until plants are about 6 inches and apply 100 lbs per acre of time release nitrogen. The benefits of this method is you don't have to wait for a rain event to apply. I'm no expert just wondering

Welcome to the forum.
I've thought about using coated N fertilizer for a few years now, but I never seem to follow up with it.
One thing is for sure, mother nature seldom gives the needed amount of rain for top-dressing urea when I need it or when I have the time to apply it.
And when they are forecasting only a trace of rain (and I don't spread urea), the weatherman is wrong and we get the half inch needed for top dressing urea.

How much does 100 lbs of coated N cost?
And, isn't 46-0-0 actually 46 pounds of N? Are you actually spreading two 1 hundred pound bags of 46-0-0 per acre in order to achieve 100 pounds of N per acre?

Tap, thanks for the welcome. I usally apply two 50lb bags per acre. That was the recommended amount from the feed store. I usually fill a five gallon bucket about halfway and tiptoe through the the plot and throw it by hand. I've also used a hand crank seed spreader, let's just say I've had better luck throwing by hand. I too have had the weatherman ruin my plans more than once while trying to top dress urea. Wasted time and gas, this is the main reason why I'm asking if anyone else uses this product. Much easier to apply on my time schedule rather than waiting on a proper rain. I believe the cost per bag is 24.00. Let me conclude with I'm no expert but this seems to work for me.

Welcome to the forum.
I've thought about using coated N fertilizer for a few years now, but I never seem to follow up with it.
One thing is for sure, mother nature seldom gives the needed amount of rain for top-dressing urea when I need it or when I have the time to apply it.
And when they are forecasting only a trace of rain (and I don't spread urea), the weatherman is wrong and we get the half inch needed for top dressing urea.

How much does 100 lbs of coated N cost?
And, isn't 46-0-0 actually 46 pounds of N? Are you actually spreading two 1 hundred pound bags of 46-0-0 per acre in order to achieve 100 pounds of N per acre?

When you have a 100lb bag of fertilizer labeled 46-0-0, 46 lbs must be N regardless of whether it is coated or not. They can fool folks by coating seed sold by the pound but not fertilizer. Whether the inert matter is filler or coating, only N can be counted in the 46. So, whether it is coated or not, 200 lbs of 46-0-0 yields 92 lbs of N. If it is spread over 1 acre you get 92 lbs/ac.

Thanks,

Jack

I usually till in two five gallon buckets of urea at time of planting and top dress with an NPK mix containing ammonium nitrate. My wife has an uncle that works at the elevator where I get it from. I usually get a pretty sweet deal on it.