Throw and mow/roll

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
I over seeded my soybeans with winter rye last September. The rye is now five foot tall. I was planning on planting brassicas into the rye this fall and rolling the rye over it. I doubt that i'm going to be able to walk through that rye with a broadcast spreader and get an even seeding. Im considering just burning the plot off after it matures and dries down this fall if I cant come up with a solution. Id love to be able to keep it for moisture and weed issues.

How do you guys plant into tall standing rye?

The rye pretty much dies off on its own, after it is dead, I pull a spike toothed drag over it with the times up. This will flatten if all down, then I spread the radish and turnip seeds into it, and then lightly disk it. To be honest, with smaller seeds, you wouldn't even have to disk it. Just roll the dead rye down, and spread the small seeds into it. A decent rain will get them growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IME, once rye bolts in the spring and begins producing seed heads the deer all but stop feeding on it. I either rotate my rye into buckwheat for the summer or I broadcast red clover with the rye in the fall and allow it to grow under the rye during the summer. I like to have deer in a pattern where they consistently feed on my plots for the months leading up to our hunting season instead of relying on the deer finding a late summer/fall planted plot.

I am trying to minimize tillage. I dont have a disk so disking after seeding isn't an option. I have other plots that the deer feed in all summer, clover chicory and soybeans and i'm in a great ag. area so letting a couple of plots go idle isn't a problem. I do have a tiller but it doesnt do well unless the plot is killed off and mowed short. (tines are nearly shot)

Do you guys get good germination spreading seed on top of the rolled down rye? Mine is pretty thick.

This fall I'm going to be planting triticale instead of rye. A buddy of mine says the deer pound it in the fall/winter and it doesn't get as tall. I would think that spreading the seed before rolling down the rye would be best but in this case isn't an option.

I always seed before rolling/dragging. A tow behind broadcast spreader works well in this situation for seeds like rye that are big and planted at a high rate per acre. For smaller seeds and lower per acre rates like brassicas and clover I use a Solo shoulder spreader or a Scott's handheld. Walking through tall rye or buckwheat with a hand spreader can be tough. Fertilizing first with the tow behind spreader knocks down some of the crop and makes the seed broadcasting job much easier.

I always seed before rolling/dragging. A tow behind broadcast spreader works well in this situation for seeds like rye that are big and planted at a high rate per acre. For smaller seeds and lower per acre rates like brassicas and clover I use a Solo shoulder spreader or a Scott's handheld. Walking through tall rye or buckwheat with a hand spreader can be tough. Fertilizing first with the tow behind spreader knocks down some of the crop and makes the seed broadcasting job much easier.

Im just worried that if I walk through it with my broadcast seeder all i'm going to end up with is narrow strips of brassicas where I walked because the tall rye won't allow for a wide/even distribution of seed.

Im just worried that if I walk through it with my broadcast seeder all i'm going to end up with is narrow strips of brassicas where I walked because the tall rye won't allow for a wide/even distribution of seed.
Later in the year as it dies it will begin to fall over. Not sure if this will happen before you will want to plant brassicas though. I would spread fertilizer or do a light drag first before broadcasting seed to "open" the rye up a little bit. Then finish rolling the rye over everything. Others talk of having success seeding over the rolled rye but I fear too much seed would get hung up in the rye and never get down to the soil to establish itself.

Later in the year as it dies it will begin to fall over. Not sure if this will happen before you will want to plant brassicas though. I would spread fertilizer or do a light drag first before broadcasting seed to "open" the rye up a little bit. Then finish rolling the rye over everything. Others talk of having success seeding over the rolled rye but I fear too much seed would get hung up in the rye and never get down to the soil to establish itself.

I'm going to try to plant around August 10Th. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it will start to fall over a bit when it dries down.

I had a similar thought last year, but I was dealing with 5'+ tall broadleaf weeds. In one plot, I would make a pass with the UTV+spreader t spread the rye. Then I would make a pass with the handheld spreader with the clover. It was then cultipacked and sprayed with gly. It turned out even enough for me. It was definitely inconvenient, but the plot as only a bit over 1/3ac so it wasn't too bad.

Perspective shot of how tall the weeds I was dealing with were. My son is about 5' tall in this picture.

I seeded a BOB clover mix with winter rye. Here's what it looks like this year:

I think you'll get plenty of volunteer rye sprouting this year if you roll it after it is mature - the seed will likely sprout anywhere it touches dirt (or if it's wet it might not even need to touch dirt to germinate since that stuff grows anywhere). I don't think that's a bad thing, but you'll definitely have plenty of volunteer rye even if you go with triticale. I agree that you'll probably have funny looking lines if you try to broadcast brassica seeds into tall standing rye since the seed will hit the stalks closest to you. If I were in your shoes, I would cultipack the standing rye, broadcast the brassicas and then cultipack again. Two years ago my tractor died on me, so I had to go the no-till route with brassicas and they did great. I planted them in late July in a field that I planted to oats early that spring. The oats headed out and were dying in July, so I sprayed them to kill random weeds growing in the oats, brush hogged the standing oats and broadcast brassica seed directly into the residue. I then used my ATV to pull my cultipacker over the field and called it good. The thick residue seemed to decrease the number of brassicas that successfully germinated, but the ones that did grow were much larger and quickly filled in the gaps.

I have a strip of rye growing now that I will overseed with brassicas in late July and I'll use the same plan I used when I planted into oats several years ago.

Pointer
Did you smack your kid in the jaw his left side of his face is swollen up and is black and blue :emoji_astonished:

I use a small Scott's seeder and lift it up above the rye and seem to get good coverage, then roll it with the quad and packer.

Pointer
Did you smack your kid in the jaw his left side of his face is swollen up and is black and blue :emoji_astonished:
Ha! Nope, but I probably should. lol. He turns 10 on Sunday and is over 5' tall and about 125#. He keeps growing at that rate and he'll be able to whoop me way too soon. ;) The black and blue is left over face paint from the morning hunt. The swollen jaw is my kiddo hunting secret; hard candy, especially jawbreakers!

I use a small Scott's seeder and lift it up above the rye and seem to get good coverage, then roll it with the quad and packer.

Now that I think of it I believe my uncle has one of those small hand help jobs at the farm. The seed is small enough and wont be to heavy. I think I could easily hold one of those high enough to get the job done. Time will tell.

Now that I think of it I believe my uncle has one of those small hand help jobs at the farm. The seed is small enough and wont be to heavy. I think I could easily hold one of those high enough to get the job done. Time will tell.
If you use this type of spreader, mine has 5 settings and I use either 1 or 2 for brassicas.

Just a word of warning small seeds don't normally do well after winter Rye. As the rye has a " allelopathic" which affects small seeds more then say something like soybeans or corn.

Just a word of warning small seeds don't normally do well after winter Rye. As the rye has a " allelopathic" which affects small seeds more then say something like soybeans or corn.

It's my understanding that most of the allelopathic effect comes from the rye stalks exuding a sticky sap like substance during dry down or when it's terminated. It's that sap that suppresses the other plants. I've watched my rye and the time period when things would be most vulnerable only last for a short while. That's what I'd be mindful of planting into.

I'm guessing that by early to mid August the Rye will be dried down for quite a while and possible negative effects will be long gone.

If anyone is letting their rye head out and seed they need to make sure they aren't around any other ag crops.There are some farmers here that are using in a cover crop and not getting a good kill before heading which is allowing it to spread to neighboring fields