Three year old golden delicious

bigmike

5 year old buck +
I grafted this three years ago off a 60 year old tree from my home place. Pretty exciting!

appletree.jpg

I planted 6 trees beside my house. They get full sun all day. 5 of the 6 were loaded with blooms. One of them is the crabapple i had to cut the top out of.

Oh the tree to the left in the picture is an american chestnut that i picked up from the VDOF nursery as a bare root seedling. three years old, almost 7 feet tall. When i get old i'll be cursing the day i planted it!

Looking good! If alll those blossoms take you had better thin the fruit a bit that is going to be a heavy load. What rootstock is the golden delc. on?

Oh the tree to the left in the picture is an american chestnut that i picked up from the VDOF nursery as a bare root seedling. three years old, almost 7 feet tall. When i get old i'll be cursing the day i planted it!

Why? I just planted one, curious...

Awesome pic of that golden delicious I hope I can say the same thing as you from some of the grafts I did this year I am sure its very rewarding. Heck I am feeling good with just some leaf break on my grafts LOL

BV
just the cleanup aspect when the tree matures and starts dropping all the husks. I'm excited about them doing so well. I have one thats about ten feet tall.

The rootstock i think is M111 and i'm in Virginia.

Nice BM! Don't let it fruit and train the branches some, but it looks great!

What do I do to train the branches and I just pick the fruit off?

Anything, twine, 14 guage wire, or buy commercial trainers etc.. Anything to get the branches growing out on a 60 degree angle. They will fruit sooner and the branches will not go up and try and grow up and try to compete w/ the central leader. You'll get a lot more growth out of that leader if you do.

http://www.peachridge.com/treetraining/training.htm

Last edited:
Thanks, i will do that to these 6 trees