Three year old golden delicious

bigmike

5 year old buck +
I grafted this three years ago off a 60 year old tree from my home place. Pretty exciting!

appletree.jpg

bigmike

5 year old buck +
I planted 6 trees beside my house. They get full sun all day. 5 of the 6 were loaded with blooms. One of them is the crabapple i had to cut the top out of.

bigmike

5 year old buck +
Oh the tree to the left in the picture is an american chestnut that i picked up from the VDOF nursery as a bare root seedling. three years old, almost 7 feet tall. When i get old i'll be cursing the day i planted it!

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Looking good! If alll those blossoms take you had better thin the fruit a bit that is going to be a heavy load. What rootstock is the golden delc. on?

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Oh the tree to the left in the picture is an american chestnut that i picked up from the VDOF nursery as a bare root seedling. three years old, almost 7 feet tall. When i get old i'll be cursing the day i planted it!

Why? I just planted one, curious...

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
Awesome pic of that golden delicious I hope I can say the same thing as you from some of the grafts I did this year I am sure its very rewarding. Heck I am feeling good with just some leaf break on my grafts LOL

bigmike

5 year old buck +
BV
just the cleanup aspect when the tree matures and starts dropping all the husks. I'm excited about them doing so well. I have one thats about ten feet tall.

bigmike

5 year old buck +
The rootstock i think is M111 and i'm in Virginia.

Maya

5 year old buck +
Nice BM! Don't let it fruit and train the branches some, but it looks great!

bigmike

5 year old buck +
What do I do to train the branches and I just pick the fruit off?

Maya

5 year old buck +
Anything, twine, 14 guage wire, or buy commercial trainers etc.. Anything to get the branches growing out on a 60 degree angle. They will fruit sooner and the branches will not go up and try and grow up and try to compete w/ the central leader. You'll get a lot more growth out of that leader if you do.

http://www.peachridge.com/treetraining/training.htm

Last edited:

bigmike

5 year old buck +
Thanks, i will do that to these 6 trees