This week's tractor upgrades

I have something like 5100# of breakout force. My tractor is 7100# without fluid or an implement. ;)

Looking good Jim. :cool:

Thanks man! :)

I need to bring the atv up, so I made a special trip to unload the trailer and check on my apple trees in the cooler here. I need to make more STD's for a dealer, so I'm catching some Zzz's and hitting the road again.

Tomorrow I wire it in. :)

You missed your calling Jim.......you shudda been a plumber. ;) Nice work.

I do differ with some on grapple size tho......I like the single lid narrower grapples best. Much lighter weight (big deal!!) and more maneuverable in the timber. The extra width is not needed (IMO) and a single lid clamps everything just fine (IMO). I suppose that's why they make different models. :)

A grapple has been my best investment in clearing my land and dealing with timber. I have a 48" Markham / Gator. (under $1000 delivered) May not be rugged enough for your tractor size tho Jim. Good for 3000 series Deeres.

Thanks Foggy!

Framer, plumber, electrician, engineer - just hats in the collection. :D

This grapple tips the scales at 660#, but it's rated in excess of my machine even with full ballast so I'm ok with the weight. It's also only about 100# heavier than my bucket.

I wanted something wide enough to scrape debris away from the tires, but not full width as you mentioned, because it hinders mobility.

I liked the Everything Attachments Compact Root grapple for being shorter front to back, but I think the Woods is better built for the same price.

Still need to tie-wrap the wiring better, but I got it working moments before the Heavens took a big wiz on us.

Looks good Jim.

This is going to come in real handy! :D

Reactions: kl9
Time for some bling. :D

2015-04-18%2020.49.30.jpg

Ok, so it's not really bling, but it's fancier than the crappy knob and my first button holder that I didn't care for. Hopefully I got the angles right.

I can see a grapple getting a lot of use.

Once the swamp is passable, this sucker is going to be worked like a dog. :)

I should be hauling rock again by the end of the week. I'm getting a bid on the culvert installation in the next couple days (instead of renting a mini-ex), and once we figure out who's doing that work, I'll be able to start running fill again.

Jim
Do you plan to beef up the Grill Guard? I'm putting some stretch metal on mine to protect the radiator better. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Hopfully this week.

Jim
Do you plan to beef up the Grill Guard? I'm putting some stretch metal on mine to protect the radiator better. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Hopfully this week.

I spent LOTS of time improving on my grill guard. Especially after poking a stick thru my old 790 grill. I have the JD HD Guard....but I added some plate material where deere was lacking and put some extra bars on my grapple to prevent branch pass-thru.

I also pay better attention to pushing any brush piles these days. It gets VERY expensive to damage your grill or radiator these days. The money spent on improvements is well worth it....IMO.

grapple.jpg

Improving the brush guard is on the short list of projects.

I thought about adding some expanded steel to the back of the grapple too, but I wonder if that would just make trash stick to it.

I welded some 1/4 x 1" flat bars at the back of my grapple to prevent larger branches from poking thru at my tractor. Seems to work quite well and the brush does not hang up on it. I also re-engineered my factory (JD) grill-guard as it had a gaping hole in the design (duh). I custom formed a plate that provides the needed protection. (I wish I had a pic to show on this computer. I was quite proud of this mod.)

When operating in timber.....its tempting to use the tractor like a dozer. But....you gotta be extra carefull when doing that.....as its a good way to snag hydraulic lines, hoses, wires, sheet metal and more. Even when careful.....I seem to snag a branch every now and again. The last one was some wiring that operates my cruise control.

I resist "dozing brush" piles as much as possible these days.....and watch very carefully when I do so.

Still need to wire it in, but I already like it over the factory knob. :)

All wired in and ready to do work. :cool:

20150425_150742.jpg

20150425_142928.jpg

All you have to do now is stage and hit the light.

Needs NOS. Two bottles. :p