This is why we do TSI (Timber Stand Improvement)

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
I logged this area 17 or 18 years ago. It was about 60% Oak, 30% Birch and 10% Popple (Aspen). We cut all the Birch and Popple. Look at the accelerated growth on this Burr Oak. There was a 5 year period where it put on 2 inchs of diameter. That is almost unheard of. I wish I did not have to cut it down, but it was getting so big that it was shading out a great clover plot. I cut down a Red Oak 30 feet away that had even faster growth. You don't realize just how much your trees change over the years.DSC_0002.JPG

That is interesting. At that rate, who says Oaks grow slow

I can only imagine how much larger the crown of the those oaks were compared to what they would've been in a crowded forest. This also equates to many more acorns :D

We have some red & white oaks in fields or tree rows at camp that look like giant mushrooms from a distance. More room for canopy, lots more acorns. Bueller has it right. ^^^ We spread about 25 lbs. of 10-10-10 around the big ones & the acorn crop is crazy.

We have some red & white oaks in fields or tree rows at camp that look like giant mushrooms from a distance. More room for canopy, lots more acorns. Bueller has it right. ^^^ We spread about 25 lbs. of 10-10-10 around the big ones & the acorn crop is crazy.

Where do you focus the fertilizer - around the drip line, or evenly under the canopy? Thanks!

I once spread some 10-10-10 around a bur oak and it lost all of it's leaves. The leaves came back and it survived, but it appeared like I burned it. Light soil and the adjacent oak that was not fertilized did not lose it's leaves. I might have used 3-5 pounds of fertilizer.

Good to know. My forester showed me a red maple on my land that he said was about 60 years old. He said that the tree was worth around $20. The same tree after a cutting this year, in 15-20 years at time of harvest should be worth around $60. Your photo kind of backs this up.

I once spread some 10-10-10 around a bur oak and it lost all of it's leaves. The leaves came back and it survived, but it appeared like I burned it. Light soil and the adjacent oak that was not fertilized did not lose it's leaves. I might have used 3-5 pounds of fertilizer.

Good to know Sandbur - I have little soil too. Thanks!

The best part of this picture is that you can see the faster growth started immediately after the logging. The respond instantly to the extra light and water available from the lack of their neighbors. I always though this tree was growing fast, but not his fast.

2ndhand and Sandbur - I spread it around evenly under the whole canopy. We have heavier clay-type soil and these oaks are about 4 ft. dia. trees. They are at the edges of some of our food plots, so I'm sure the plots used some of the fertilizer. We never had a leaf burning issue or leaves dropping. With clay soil, it takes lime & fertilizer longer to leach down into the root zone than sandier soil I believe.

2ndhand and Sandbur - I spread it around evenly under the whole canopy. We have heavier clay-type soil and these oaks are about 4 ft. dia. trees. They are at the edges of some of our food plots, so I'm sure the plots used some of the fertilizer. We never had a leaf burning issue or leaves dropping. With clay soil, it takes lime & fertilizer longer to leach down into the root zone than sandier soil I believe.

Hey Bowsnbucks, Thanks for the reply and info...;)!

It was a long time ago, but I think I also scattered some under the canopy as well as most at the drip line.

That pic is very telling, thanks for sharing.

2ndhand & Sandbur - Glad to share anything I can help with. That's what's cool about this forum - you can learn a lot & share some knowledge or experience too. We all deal with different soils & climates, but guys chime in from various regions & you get good region - appropriate info. We all gain, I think. I know I've learned a ton from these gents on here.