Thirty Years of Chasing Gobblers

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Just closed the season on the 2017 spring turkey season and it dawned on me that this was my 30th year in the spring turkey woods. I began hunting turkeys in 1987 when I was a high school senior. In Massachusetts back then spring turkey hunting was a fairly new thing. I remember renting Paul Butski hunting videos from the video store and teaching myself how to hunt gobblers.

I am still wearing the same Tre-bark vest I wore when I was 17. This year also marked the first time my son came along with me on his first hunt. Fun stuff!

1987...me (on the left), my brother with turkey, and my best friend. I was in the Army Reserve and hooked them both up with plenty of woodland camo BDU's.

scan0012%202_zps5tza0sb2.jpg

2017 hunting the mountains of Massachusetts.

P5100051_zpsmwopqkaa.jpg

Out for our first hunt this spring....

IMG_3278_zpsqhnczcit.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures.

If you still fit in the vest from 30 years ago you should eat a sandwich or something :emoji_angry:

I don't see the pics

Love chasing those Longbeards but I've only been doing it about 10 years since the turkey numbers have increased in NC.

Ahhh....Passing on the addiction! Great thread!

My first turkey call was a Butski diaphragm call that I bought in 91 at a WI Deer/Turkey sport show. Turkey hunting was just getting going in WI at that time. That Trebark vest is classic, that's one of the first of the modern patterns to hit the market that I remember. Hope you can pass that vest on to your son.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Great pictures.

If you still fit in the vest from 30 years ago you should eat a sandwich or something :emoji_angry:

Funny John! I've always been thin...and I eat like a pig. Got one of those metabolisms.

Great to have your son along on the hunt. It gives them a start on a life-long passion / hobby / sport, that provides clean fun & enjoyment. ( If they choose to pursue it ). My 2 sons are outdoor maniacs and they're outdoors whenever they can get there. If nothing else it teaches them appreciation for nature. Cool to see your son out there with you !!

Serious mountains there in the pic. Looks like my N.C. Pa. areas. Guess that's how you stay thin ?? ( Not all of us can stay thin & muscular like you & me, Natty !!! ):emoji_wink:

Thats really great!! Its fun to look back at those pictures and im sure your son will appreciate them someday as well!

Weird? Still cant see them today?
I don't know what was going on originally but later in the day yesterday I was able to see them and I see them now. Cool stuff !!!

Just closed the season on the 2017 spring turkey season and it dawned on me that this was my 30th year in the spring turkey woods. I began hunting turkeys in 1987 when I was a high school senior. In Massachusetts back then spring turkey hunting was a fairly new thing. I remember renting Paul Butski hunting videos from the video store and teaching myself how to hunt gobblers.

I am still wearing the same Tre-bark vest I wore when I was 17. This year also marked the first time my son came along with me on his first hunt. Fun stuff!

1987...me (on the left), my brother with turkey, and my best friend. I was in the Army Reserve and hooked them both up with plenty of woodland camo BDU's.

scan0012%202_zps5tza0sb2.jpg

2017 hunting the mountains of Massachusetts.

P5100051_zpsmwopqkaa.jpg

Out for our first hunt this spring....

IMG_3278_zpsqhnczcit.jpg
Great pics!

Serious mountains there in the pic. Looks like my N.C. Pa. areas. Guess that's how you stay thin ?? ( Not all of us can stay thin & muscular like you & me, Natty !!! ):emoji_wink:

Ha! You know it Bowsnbucks. When I was in the Army I had that infantry grunt mentality drilled into me. To this day I like covering lots of ground...humping up and down mountains chasing deer and turkeys. Plus it allows me to drink all the beer I want without having to worry about a gut.