Thinking of leasing or selling

Lol, I read your original post a week or so ago. Guess I lost track of the true intention of it.
I see two choices; make some money while being an absentee owner until your girl leaves the house, or let it set and drain money. It boils down to... do you want to trash the next 5 yrs or so of hunting while rebuilding your deer structure after its all said and done?
Let me ask you this; have you thought of not leasing and letting your plots go fallow, or plant a perennial that won't need replanted? Deer love early succesional growth and it'll save you $15-$30k per yr in plot costs. Of course you might loose money with businesses that you are trying to lease to. Do this and lease a few hunts (low enough numbers to not worry about hurting herd structure)...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I did let some of the plots sort of go fallow this year. Drilled a mix of sorghum, sunflowers, beans and buckwheat. Saved a ton of time and money. I did that as an experiment for exactly what you noted. Letting them go for a few years. It seems to have worked well. Deer are still in those darn fields picking around and it is great thermal cover for winter.

Now you have raised a very good point, I have not thought through. Am I going to upset some clients/customers? I don't know the answer to that question. And, you are right where I started. My original thought was cut things back and sell or lease a few hunts. I could do two weeks of four hunts per week and not hurt much. The best insurance would say you pay me "x" per week, if you shoot a 145 or better I will give you "y" back. If you shoot nothing, I give you "y" back. But, if you shoot less than 145 you don't get anything back. Thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the stipulations idea, but you don't want to make lier's out of your hunters. An otherwise good client may choose to keep some of his hard earned money and not give you a completely accurate report to save some $$$$. I would be tempted to screen clients thoroughly and once they have been picked and paid, to just let them hunt their time and have fun with whatever hunting choices they make. You might insure good repeats that way.

I would think your business contacts could be worth significant money for an extended period of time (long after 5 or 6yrs). Future business objectives could come into play in a significant way... How important is this property for you personally, aside from money? You might be able to gain enough through these contacts to replace the property many times over the next couple of decades.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Suppose you lease it out and the deer herd gets hammered, worst case scenario. You would only be 3-4 years away from being back where you started, if not sooner. With how you have it set up you could remove every deer and you would just suck in a new herd from the neighbors. The stud deer you have now will be dead in 2-5 years anyway from old age. I wouldn't let the status of the herd effect your decision.

Suppose you lease it out and the deer herd gets hammered, worst case scenario. You would only be 3-4 years away from being back where you started, if not sooner. With how you have it set up you could remove every deer and you would just suck in a new herd from the neighbors. The stud deer you have now will be dead in 2-5 years anyway from old age. I wouldn't let the status of the herd effect your decision.

All very good points, especially with regard to sucking deer in. Honestly, I really not so much worried about them hurting the quality of the bucks with or without restrictions. When they see what has come off this place, a lot of well screened hunters are going to hold out for the mature bucks. And, I don't care who you are, it is a hard to go 100 percent or even 60 percent on mature bucks. My biggest concern is wanting to make sure they have a great experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk