Thinking of leasing or selling

Chummer you know you would be my first pick. I am heading north one of these days buddy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A lot of partridge left for you!

If you decide to lease you will have to "try" not to care what is being shot. If you sell hunts you'll have to care even less.

I'm with Willy. If you can't swallow the changes that will happen on ground you own, sell it and walk away.

No one you rent to will get "it" like you do. I've come to this conclusion with friends that I've let hunt. They don't get it, and somehow they just don't seem to care what I'm trying to do. I truly hope they enjoyed hunting my place this year because the party is over. Some family included.

Well, at least I'm not the only one who runs into this. The bad part is that I have partners.....at least for now.

I think anyone that gets invited to hunt on somebody else's company farm as a perk, is going to try and kill something before they leave. They don't have any skin in the game, it's just another buck to hang on the wall.

I think anyone that gets invited to hunt on somebody else's company farm as a perk, is going to try and kill something before they leave. They don't have any skin in the game, it's just another buck to hang on the wall.
That's the attitude I would expect.
The only way that I see to make it work in a favorable way for old buck management would be to lease it to so few people that it wouldn't matter what they shot, the number would be too low to have an effect. But then you wouldn't make much money. Tough call to make.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, at least I'm not the only one who runs into this. The bad part is that I have partners.....at least for now.

Have a buddy that owns land west of me with no housing on it. He stays at my place. The first year we bought the farms he brought his stepfather and said nothing less than 140 gross. When he tagged a 120 it was his and any other guests last chance. My friend has hunted alone ever since.

Took my brother and I 10 years to get there....I'm a slow learner.
Youth hunts, proven rule followers and us from now on.

If I got 40K for a one year lease, I wouldn't worry much about what goes on. LOL

If I got 40K for a one year lease, I wouldn't worry much about what goes on. LOL

For 40k a year you could buy one hell of a hunting farm in just about any top whitetail state.

Probably well stated and a valid point.

For 40k a year you could buy one hell of a hunting farm in just about any top whitetail state.

If you can find a hell of a hunting farm in any top whitetail state, let me know. I will buy all you can find. We/I have them in three different states now and $40,000 will not buy you 15 acres in any of them.

Look at it this way. There are 35 stands set and ready to go on that farm. Each stand cost $250 with the stand and sticks. That is $8,750. That farm has 50 to 100 acres of food plots on it each year depending on how I plant it. That is $15,000 to $30,000 worth of plots on it each year. Therefore if I do just what I have done for 15 years and get a $40,000 lease that is a great deal for the person leasing the property. But, in fairness, I am not leasing for $40,000 and putting in $30,000 worth of plots next year. It all depends on who leases. If it is a company that sends me $2,000,000 worth of work. They are going to get $30,000 in plots next year and year round access to one of the houses. If it is four guys who want a chance at so great deer, but don't have land or the time to deal with it. They are going to get a place to stay, stands, and $15,000 in plots.

Are you trying to make money off this property or enjoy it? If you have three properties already how much time can you spend on all of them? Are those 50 to 100 acres food plots just for wildlife or are they farm crops that get harvested? Could always try leasing a smaller portion if your unable to find a large group to lease 1000 acres. ( I'd estimate 10 guys would try to lease that together)

If you can find a hell of a hunting farm in any top whitetail state, let me know. I will buy all you can find. We/I have them in three different states now and $40,000 will not buy you 15 acres in any of them.

$40,000 a year... That's $800,000 over 20 years
Some people finance farms. They don't pay100% cash. With crop or CRP income to help offset the payment you could easily buy 240-400 acres in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, SD, possibly Wisconsin.

Personally I'd rather own 240 acres than lease 1000 acres. At the end of your lease, you paid the landowner x amount of money, but it's still his land.

Finance a farm over time and it's still your farm, with future income and tax benefits.

To each his own though.

Are you trying to make money off this property or enjoy it? If you have three properties already how much time can you spend on all of them? Are those 50 to 100 acres food plots just for wildlife or are they farm crops that get harvested? Could always try leasing a smaller portion if your unable to find a large group to lease 1000 acres. ( I'd estimate 10 guys would try to lease that together)

At this point, I don't have time to fully enjoy it. I am trying to make some money off of it. None of the crops are for profit. They are all for wildlife.

If I lease it they group will not be a super large group. It will be a high end group that wants to take advantage of a great property for a year or two. Who knows what that might lead to. I was with someone from NJ last week that had next to no land to hunt, but paid $30,000 in property taxes each year. He essentially said he would be way better off leasing than hunting a very expensive piece of property that has not potential for even a P&Y whitetail.

I understand Bwoods comments and would prefer to own over lease myself, but leasing has huge advantages to a certain group of hunters. True they may not be into the management stuff like us, but it takes a village. I just am not sure about what direction I want to go. The land is not going to be sold while I am alive, and probably never out of the family if my estate is managed properly. I just think I am going to cut back on deer hunting a lot in the future, but still want to do the management stuff.

Wtnut--you are in a win-win situation. With 1000 acres, lease or use for yourself. Very rare to have that luxury. I have great respect for landowners that play their cards right and buy large farms.

I don't know how you aquired the land, but I'm guessing you took a risk or two in your lifetime!

Look at it this way. There are 35 stands set and ready to go on that farm. Each stand cost $250 with the stand and sticks. That is $8,750. That farm has 50 to 100 acres of food plots on it each year depending on how I plant it. That is $15,000 to $30,000 worth of plots on it each year. Therefore if I do just what I have done for 15 years and get a $40,000 lease that is a great deal for the person leasing the property. But, in fairness, I am not leasing for $40,000 and putting in $30,000 worth of plots next year. It all depends on who leases. If it is a company that sends me $2,000,000 worth of work. They are going to get $30,000 in plots next year and year round access to one of the houses. If it is four guys who want a chance at so great deer, but don't have land or the time to deal with it. They are going to get a place to stay, stands, and $15,000 in plots.

So you have not been honest with us about your motives ... not really looking to sell but possibly manipulate a couple of clients?

$30,000 worth of food plots and you are just some simple down to earth guy torn between all of the hard work you have put in and having to let go of the property?

Post your K1's on the property so we can see what is the real deal ...

Wtnut--you are in a win-win situation. With 1000 acres, lease or use for yourself. Very rare to have that luxury. I have great respect for landowners that play their cards right and buy large farms.

I don't know how you aquired the land, but I'm guessing you took a risk or two in your lifetime!

Thanks. I have taken many risks, but the primary reason is that my only hobby has been hunting and looking for land for 30 years. It is no different than understanding the time value of money. Start when you are young, obtain options to buy land and then try to exercise those options. I have flipped a lot of land that I decided was not "prime" hunting land. I am selling a farm in January I have had for 17 years and never hunted on. However, I have let many use it as their own for free. I young wildlife biologist from Alabama has used it more than anyone. It was a great buy and great investment. It just never held or produced the deer I wanted to hunt. No secret to finding land - it is a lot of hard work tracking down land that isn't already for sale, approaching the landowner and seeing if they would ever have any interest in selling. 99 percent are not. 1 percent do and another 1 percent call some years down the road and say "would you still be interested in talking"?

So you have not been honest with us about your motives ... not really looking to sell but possibly manipulate a couple of clients?

$30,000 worth of food plots and you are just some simple down to earth guy torn between all of the hard work you have put in and having to let go of the property?

Post your K1's on the property so we can see what is the real deal ...

Spud,

My Grandmother always said when someone enters you house who does not know you and calls you dishonest, you better start counting the spoons. My "motive" for the post is to learn what intelligent members thought about selling hunts or leasing farms. My motive for considering selling or leasing is to stop and take more time to smell the roses. My daughter will be off to college in a few years and I don't want to look back and say I did not spend enough time for her those last few precious years while she was home. If I can keep one of them in a similar state as it has been for years, but not be 100 percent responsible for it then I am pleased. However, many members are right it will never be as I would have done and I need to see if I can accept what "might" happen in a year or two.

As for "manipulating" clients, I have had 20 plus clients over the years beg me to sell one or more of the farms, or lease one to them. They would like to entertain THEIR customers as I have entertained them. As you may have seen from my prior posts I have "farms" that I do different things with. One I allow friends, clients and family come and go as they want. One farm I am very protective of and limit access and another is somewhere in between.

As for down to earth guy, someone who knows me would have to judge that. My father passed away when I was six years old, we lived in a house where 1/4 of the floors in the basement were dirt and we darn near starved to death. I longed to have a farm since that age because my grandparents lived on one and going there was the highlight of my childhood.

Today, I have been very blessed by God financially and if I want to spend $30,000 on food plots on one farm I can do that. I don't spend money on country club dues, but could. I don't spend money on luxury or high end sports cars, but could. I drive F-250s. I could spend money on strippers and whores, but don't. I have been married for over 25 years. Not sure if I am down to earth or an ass, but the only thing that removes the stress associated with making sure 680 plus families who rely upon me for a job is to get in the cab of a tractor and work on the farm. If that keeps me from dying of a heart attack at a young age like my father, it will be $30,000 well spent.

As for K-1s on the farm(s). None of the farms are operated as a business. Therefore, there are no K1s. How can I do that? Because I have many other K1s that provide me enough personal income to have large personal farms. Hope this helps you judge me my friend.

Take for what it's worth (my opinion) but I have a hard time letting go of something I've worked hard to get. If in your shoes I would probably keep the land, lease it out to make money in my absence, and spend time with the daughter. All the while knowing I would have to rebuild my hunting on that property.
Have you considered leasing to a farmer or rancher? 5 yrs of ag. with no hunting pressure would make one hell of a deer property.

Take for what it's worth (my opinion) but I have a hard time letting go of something I've worked hard to get. If in your shoes I would probably keep the land, lease it out to make money in my absence, and spend time with the daughter. All the while knowing I would have to rebuild my hunting on that property.
Have you considered leasing to a farmer or rancher? 5 yrs of ag. with no hunting pressure would make one hell of a deer property.

I think some are not reading my original posts. The land is not ever going to be sold. I was simply considering selling some hunts as opposed to leasing the entire farm. Some have pointed out good reasons why not to do it. I am still undecided.

The three primary farms are not really good to lease out to a farmer. They are from 80-90 percent timber and we created many of the tillable spots by removing timber withe large dozers and excavators. We laid it out like a golf course for hunting so to speak. Fields are spread apart and the largest on THESE farms is probably only 25 acres. They were really set up for hunting only.