Thinking of leasing or selling

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have 1000 acres I am thinking of leasing for 2017 or selling some hunts on. It is prime everything, and my first thought is to lease it to a corporation to entertain a certain amount of customers on with deer hunting, turkey hunting and fishing. That would eliminate the work on my end for the most part, or if they pay the right price one of my land managers who lives on the property could essentially set everything up and be the guide. I could also lease it to a few individuals and let them hang stands, hunt, etc. They do it all. Finally, I am considering selling 10 one week hunts on the property.

My questions: Have you ever done anything similar and what are you thoughts on advantages and disadvantages? One big disadvantage is it probably has the best crop of 4.5 year olds running on it this year that I have ever had. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What state is it located in? What is the buck limit in that state?

I ask because I don't know based upon your post?

This one is in Ohio. There is a one buck limit and a 2 spring gobblers.

I would never want to baby sit and or cater to some idiot that paid for a hunt. The more hunts you sell the bigger the risk of problems. Lease it out for $10-$20 per acre, make them buy insurance and walk away.

Just my opinion that you'd be better off leasing it out whole or in 500 acre blocks.

is this extra land you usually don't hunt?

No, It is one of three farms that we hunt each year. But, it gets very little pressure on it. I just don't want to deal with all of them next year. I can tell you I would never lease it for $20 bucks an acre. No way. Too much effort and the quality is just too good. I will let it set idle first.

This is very intriguing to me...

No, It is one of three farms we hunt each year. But, it gets very little pressure on it. I just don't want to deal with all of them next year. I can tell you I would never lease it for $20 bucks an acre. Too much effort and the quality is just too good. I will let it set idle first. I tend to agree with a reluctance to babysit.

No, It is one of three farms we hunt each year. But, it gets very little pressure on it. I just don't want to deal with all of them next year. I can tell you I would never lease it for $20 bucks an acre. Too much effort and the quality is just too good. I will let it set idle first. I tend to agree with a reluctance to babysit.

Trying to get over $20,000 for a deer lease is tough to do. Most with that kind of money would just go to a high fence, and shoot a 220" deer, and not have to do any work for it!

Good Luck!

If it is good ground in a high human population area you should be able to get a hefty lease fee if it is like Nebraska. Ohio has a better reputation than NE for big bucks but good ground in NE will lease for a premium. The 378 acres that borders my 80 leases for 15,000. The contract says 8 hunters and 9 bucks total. They pay no heed to that part of the contract. The landowner only cares he gets his check. They can also hunt turkeys and varmints on this piece. This land is also leased out to others to pasture their cattle and the little amount of ag is leased out to an area farmer.

Lessees have no vested interest in the land nor the health of the herd if it is a one year deal, or if they bring in people from a company to get a chance to hunt as a reward for their work or client perk and really don't care what gets shot. They will pull the trigger on what they can when the clock is about up on their hunt. Your herd age dynamics will be literally shot to hell.

If you need the money, do it but I don't think it would be good for the herd's long term health. If you can find a long term lease agreement client that gives a hoot about herd health and dynamics it could be a good thing. Ultimately when one is paying a large chunk of cash to hunt and a permit if out of state, they are going to pull the trigger and it might not be the best for your herd. From your posts that I have read you have put a lot into building up a fine herd. Can you live with it being changed to something you might not like?

I'm with Willy. If you can't swallow the changes that will happen on ground you own, sell it and walk away.

No one you rent to will get "it" like you do. I've come to this conclusion with friends that I've let hunt. They don't get it, and somehow they just don't seem to care what I'm trying to do. I truly hope they enjoyed hunting my place this year because the party is over. Some family included.

I'm with Willy. If you can't swallow the changes that will happen on ground you own, sell it and walk away.

No one you rent to will get "it" like you do. I've come to this conclusion with friends that I've let hunt. They don't get it, and somehow they just don't seem to care what I'm trying to do. I truly hope they enjoyed hunting my place this year because the party is over. Some family included.
If you are looking to replace family with family, I always wanted an uncle Bill. I can cook, bring the booze of your choice, and work till I drop. I always wanted an uncle WTNUT too! First caller wins, I only have enough love for one new uncle.

I'd probably just sell it rather than let someone else lease it... That'd be hard for me to own the land, and give up control of it.

I have 1000 acres I am thinking of leasing for 2017 or selling some hunts on. It is prime everything, and my first thought is to lease it to a corporation to entertain a certain amount of customers on with deer hunting, turkey hunting and fishing. That would eliminate the work on my end for the most part, or if they pay the right price one of my land managers who lives on the property could essentially set everything up and be the guide. I could also lease it to a few individuals and let them hang stands, hunt, etc. They do it all. Finally, I am considering selling 10 one week hunts on the property.

My questions: Have you ever done anything similar and what are you thoughts on advantages and disadvantages? One big disadvantage is it probably has the best crop of 4.5 year olds running on it this year that I have ever had. Thoughts?

Have you ever owned rental properties? It will never be the same ... will take a minimum or 5 years to reestablish whatever value you think the property has currently. As a new buyer, I would question anything on after a lease ...

What about a lease with stipulations? If this place is the top end I would imagine that you could write into the lease harvest criteria etc may lower the value of the lease but save you several years of work after the lease terminates

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What about a lease with stipulations? If this place is the top end I would imagine that you could write into the lease harvest criteria etc may lower the value of the lease but save you several years of work after the lease terminates

I hear you but I'd have serious reservations. I "had" guys who spent $230 on a tag and somehow to them I think that meant they needed to fill it regardless of the rules. I understand mistakes happen but when it's multiple times, it's a pattern. Can't imagine how the feeling of entitled would multiply on a big $ lease.

Build in money fines up to lease termination early with full restitution still owed. I wouldn't personally lease mine but I don't have 3 farms of 1000 acres either.

The leasees won't give a shit what they shoot regardless of the stipulations in the lease contract. The cost of the least plus the tag is their reasoning behind pulling the trigger at something. The only way the lessor will know and perhaps have some control over it is if they are there all the time check when they hunt and what they got each time. That aint going to happen.

The only way a lease is going to possibly have a neutral at best impact on the deer and habitat is if there is a long term lease with like minded guys who understand the value of what they are buying. They will have to be of high integrity and character. That is where the plan comes undone for there are not enough of those people who can afford what that lease should command. If it was leased to most of the people represented on this forum or the other couple you frequent maybe it could fly.

If you are looking to replace family with family, I always wanted an uncle Bill. I can cook, bring the booze of your choice, and work till I drop. I always wanted an uncle WTNUT too! First caller wins, I only have enough love for one new uncle.

Chummer you know you would be my first pick. I am heading north one of these days buddy!

I hear all your points and all are valid. I have a client (company) that is interested in leasing it for one year. They know what is there and would pay $40K. That gives them the right to take five hunters and use one of the houses as a get away all year long. In one years time, I don't think they will hurt much. First, if the company is paying for your hunt, you are not nearly as worried about making sure you get a buck for your money. Second, you are talking about a property with as many 5.5 year old bucks and older as are under 5.5 years old. I personally know better than anyone that having mature bucks does not mean you are going to kill one. Honestly, with only five hunters they would be doing really well to tag 3 mature bucks.

Now this may not work out, they are coming to look at things in a couple weeks. But, at our place in Illinois lease ground goes for $35 per acre and you don't have a place to stay or anything.