Thermal Drone Deer Recovery

I agree with you. In my state they're probably salivating over the ways to make it possible to hunt those animals with a rifle mounted to that robot. And all at the same time they're banning our guns, literally as we speak here in IL. Wrap your mind on that.

This reminds me of the conversation we've had about slug guns vs rifles vs straight wall rifles. Some told me that the new straight wall rifle law won't make things any different than our current slug status. Wrong! I took the budget 350 intended for my kids' use out and did a quick sight in. After 1 shot from the eye-ball bore sight, the following 6 shots were a 2" group at 100 yards. This with cheap bullets. I've never seen such a group from a slug gun. My point is everything is getting easier.

I dislike the thought of losing a deer as much as the next guy, but I think giving up a few to nature vs this pandora's box is my moral stance.
I say it all the time when discussing ethics and morals of hunting…we aren’t going to stop until the outcome is not in question anymore. If game cams were a hill, these drones are Everest in terms of removing any mystery. This will absolutely become a means to kill big antlered animals. it will also become a way to see what is just over the hill…on your neighbors land. Heck I could sit on my land and easily scan 4 other neighbors and never actually leave my “airspace”. Like i said game and fish better be prepared, though I question their resolve in these ethical matters so I don’t have much hope.

Another thing I have to contend with here in Alabama is that a large amount of our landscape is used for growing pine trees. A large percentage of the deer I track revolve around going into thick pine stands of various ages.

So is owning land but an awful lot of us do.
And a lotta guys here posting on threads about utv's and no-till drills. Not picking on Natty, but a few grand (especially split amongst a few deer nuts) is chump change in a world of big spenders.

And a lotta guys here posting on threads about utv's and no-till drills. Not picking on Natty, but a few grand (especially split amongst a few deer nuts) is chump change in a world of big spenders.
That's just it, $20,000 is not all that much money. People spend big on toys in this country.

So is owning land but an awful lot of us do.
That's just it, $20,000 is not all that much money. People spend big on toys in this country.

I get it. There are wealthy hunters out there who will drop $20K on a drone...or land...or UTV or their second home on the Cape and not even flinch.

Sorry guys...maybe I am coming from this from a different perspective, or maybe I am not making myself clear. Yes, guys own land. Yes, guys own tractors and UTV's and no-till drills. Most don't.

I stand by my point that this technology is cost prohibitive to MOST hunters. 99% of hunters out there can not afford to spend $20K on a drone, or a $6k rifle, or 30 acres of land. That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited:
I get it. There are wealthy hunters out there who will drop $20K on a drone...or land...or UTV or their second home on the Cape and not even flinch.

Sorry guys...maybe I am coming from this from a different perspective, or maybe I am not making myself clear. Yes, guys own land. Yes, guys own tractors and UTV's and no-till drills. Most don't.

I stand by my point that this technology is cost prohibitive to MOST hunters. 99% of hunters out there can not afford to spend $20K on a drone, or a $6k rifle, or 30 acres of land. That's all I was trying to say.
If you got a second home on the cape for $20k, lemme know :D

I've heard of this and I think they're in the New Philadelphia area of Ohio which is 30 minutes from me. I know one guy who used it and agreed it's a game changer. They could pick out where the deer was wounded using IR. Pretty incredible.

I also see the thought of what's too far? Or can you stop it from being used for just this application and not use it for evil in the woods.

I liked hearing the pennsylvania dutch exclaimations and being able to understand them... HAHA!

after watching a couple of his videos, I know who this "mike" is. He grew up not far from me. He is toeing the line of ethics right now, hope he has the sense to stop on the right side of the line.

The money will be a non issue for outfitters. I know of outfitters that put out several tons of corn every week from August through December. They also lease thousands and thousands of acres, everything that can be scooped up for huge sums of money. A one time purchase of $20k is nothing, but it could attract business.

I don't like it for hunting. But... I'm also the guy that thinks archery seasons should not allow any kind of mechanical release so there's that. And, with that said I do love to tinker with technology and have considered using a drone for shed hunting.

If you got a second home on the cape for $20k, lemme know :D

I was just commenting on very expensive things that people spend money on...second homes, rifles, UTV's, etc. There are 10's of thousands of second homes on the Cape. But those that own them represent a tiny fraction of the public at large.

Yeah, that accent is so cool. Crazy that you know the guy.

I definitely agree that for big time outfitters and/or conglomerates of land owners/hunters these drones will make handy tools.

I also agree with those that have already commented that this technology will eventually lead nefarious hunting practices.

The money will be a non issue for outfitters. I know of outfitters that put out several tons of corn every week from August through December. They also lease thousands and thousands of acres, everything that can be scooped up for huge sums of money. A one time purchase of $20k is nothing, but it could attract business.

Agree. The question then becomes, why would an outfitter spend this kind of money? If the answer is "to help my clients who have already paid find their buck after a shitty shot" I guess in the end, that may attract business.

If the answer is "to locate bucks for my clients to increase the success rate" that would certainly attract business.

Agree. The question then becomes, why would an outfitter spend this kind of money? If the answer is "to help my clients who have already paid find their buck after a shitty shot" I guess in the end, that may attract business.

If the answer is "to locate bucks for my clients to increase the success rate" that would certainly attract business.
It would certainly be advertised to locate bucks for the client to hunt. That's where the money is at and why corn and prime leases are still profitable for them. Not hard to find a trained dog or someone to track a wounded deer within a day or two.

I don’t have a clue how this gets policed, I would argue it’s virtually impossible, but I would recommend writing your game and fish departments and expressing concern over potential abuse. Lord knows they will be a day late dollar short so we might as well give them some heads up before it gets to be a genie too big to put back in the bottle.

I don’t have a clue how this gets policed, I would argue it’s virtually impossible, but I would recommend writing your game and fish departments and expressing concern over potential abuse. Lord knows they will be a day late dollar short so we might as well give them some heads up before it gets to be a genie too big to put back in the bottle.
policing is going to be tough. But policing just about anything natural resources is tough. I have never been checked by a game warden in my life. If I wanted to hunt with a 243 and no orange in Ohio gun season I totally could. I could hunt after dark. I could do a lot of things. What chance do they have of nailing me flying a drone over things? They said deer hunting was going to end as we knew it when Ohio went to the telecheck system.

We'd adapt, but as much as I like my cameras, there are times they ruin hunting for me. This would be a giant step towards the "ruining things" direction for me.
But if I had a 6 year old buck I'd been after for 2 years that I cant find after a marginal hit, $500 is a pittance.

policing is going to be tough. But policing just about anything natural resources is tough. I have never been checked by a game warden in my life. If I wanted to hunt with a 243 and no orange in Ohio gun season I totally could. I could hunt after dark. I could do a lot of things. What chance do they have of nailing me flying a drone over things? They said deer hunting was going to end as we knew it when Ohio went to the telecheck system.

We'd adapt, but as much as I like my cameras, there are times they ruin hunting for me. This would be a giant step towards the "ruining things" direction for me.
But if I had a 6 year old buck I'd been after for 2 years that I cant find after a marginal hit, $500 is a pittance.
Especially when game wardens are be cut, not reinforced. But im not talking about deer recovery, though I was it was illegal for that too. It’s the other issues discussed that will be horrible for most of us. There needs to be limitations on the ability to fly other peoples properties to the use to aid in hunting. The only way I see a glimmer of hope is these are supposed to be registered with the faa so they technically have records of all your flights.

Especially when game wardens are be cut, not reinforced. But im not talking about deer recovery, though I was it was illegal for that too. It’s the other issues discussed that will be horrible for most of us. There needs to be limitations on the ability to fly other peoples properties to the use to aid in hunting. The only way I see a glimmer of hope is these are supposed to be registered with the faa so they technically have records of all your flights.
you leave big brother out of this. haha

I have no qualms about using it for recovery, if people are only using it for that. But, people won't only use it for that.

Technology magnifies the character traits an individual or group has. It also increases the effectiveness of whatever tactic you are going to use.

I’ve used some fairly high level drones for work (being fat and not wanting to climb towers). I also have observed the usage of some fairly high level big brother drones.

Do I think they could be used for night time poaching - yes. But a spotlight and a Walmart crossbow is a better option. Don’t want anything $$$ if F&W is going to take it anyways.

You would still have to find the deer and sneak up it and shoot it. Not an easy task even with a drone, nvg, and thermal. Easier yes, easy - no.

Regarding hunting out west - might be more effective - but then again, hunters locate animals with optics all the time and don’t get a shot off with a bow. With a rifle you just locate and smash that 800 yard shot. Not my cup of tea - but they do the work before the season practicing, the same way land managers do with laying out food plots.

And yes - drones have decreased significantly in price the last 10 years.

High level optics are still expensive and I don’t see them dropping significantly in price. There is just too much craftsmanship in putting together the higher end stuff that’s going to pick up a deer at 300 yards with only a heat signature.

I agree with you, 99% of hunters will not spend $20,000 on a drone, however, 1% of hunters is still a lot of people. It's plenty to change hunting as we know it.
On a slightly but not completely unrelated note, I bet around 5% of hunters kill around 90% of the big bucks killed every year. A small percentage can have a huge effect when they enjoy a majority of the success.

Technology magnifies the character traits an individual or group has. It also increases the effectiveness of whatever tactic you are going to use.

I’ve used some fairly high level drones for work (being fat and not wanting to climb towers). I also have observed the usage of some fairly high level big brother drones.

Do I think they could be used for night time poaching - yes. But a spotlight and a Walmart crossbow is a better option. Don’t want anything $$$ if F&W is going to take it anyways.

You would still have to find the deer and sneak up it and shoot it. Not an easy task even with a drone, nvg, and thermal. Easier yes, easy - no.

Regarding hunting out west - might be more effective - but then again, hunters locate animals with optics all the time and don’t get a shot off with a bow. With a rifle you just locate and smash that 800 yard shot. Not my cup of tea - but they do the work before the season practicing, the same way land managers do with laying out food plots.
If I know exactly where my target buck is, I will 100% kill that deer within a few days assuming I have access to him. It's not rocket science to figure out how to get in front of him when I know exactly where he is. I don't need to stalk up to him or poach him after dark, his behavior will be plenty predictable.