The Sandbox

I had a quick walk about the trees by my house this morning before work and there are very few apples. Those with apples seem to be mostly crab apples, chestnut, dolgo, some morse bunches,and seedling crabs.
DolgoIMG_8756.JPG

One year I planted somewhere between 50 and 100 seedling crabs and plum rootsuckers. I thought this was a plum, maybe a seedling crab, maybe a rootsucker form some rootstock.

This is it's first year with apples Looks like the dolgo.

.IMG_8750 seedling crab.jpg

A morse bunches crab kept dying back in this location. I put a dolgo seedling in the cage. dead Morse bunches is to the right.

The Morse bunches are not entirely hardy here. I estimate 1/2 of those planted are hardy enough. 1/4 died out and another 1/4 die back on bad winters. Perhaps they do not like this location that is quite wet and near/in the reed canary.
IMG_8749 2.jpg

MoBuck ptt's were scattered on Tuesday night into my failed foodplots and into this area where manure had to be loaded after getting stuck hauling dairy pit manure. A light shower, then 3 inches of rain, and four days later. some of the seed washed away.
IMG_8758.JPG

Beet planting has been flooded three times. A few are still emerging. This is a failed corn foodplot.
IMG_8753.JPG

Struggling corn foodplot on the right, broadcast beans on the left. There was a bit of seed corn in with the beans.

if you look closely, the corn plot has a few rows of beans mixed in. The broadcast seed was the leftovers from the planter.
IMG_8754.JPG

sand cherry.
IMG_8755.JPG

A
IMG_8762.JPG
ll of the rains have my wife's flower bed looking great!

Will she be able to fetch a pheasant or partridge this fall?

What breed? AAM like the owner. All American Mutt!

She has got a nose and knows how to fetch.IMG_8761.JPG

IMG_8768 2.jpg Tuesday, I mowed my deer trails.

Deer trail thru the spruce.
IMG_8780.JPG

By Sunday the deer are back using it.
IMG_8779 2.jpg

SWO that might make it. My oak plantings are usually failures.

IMG_8776.JPG

Crab apple/plum thicket has put on some growth with the wet spring.

IMG_8772 2.jpg

Crab apples that are in the thicket were started from seed. The trees were planted in spring 2009.

IMG_8773.JPG

Some purple crabs and all from the same seed collection.

IMG_8774.JPG

IMG_8782.JPG
Also in the crab thicket.

It looks similar to this Morse bunches. Probably Morse bunches
IMG_8771.JPG
yellow on this one.

Nice crab thicket!

Why do you suppose your oaks don't make it?