All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sandbox

IMG_8793 2.jpg IMG_8794 2.jpg
About a month ago, I tilled some of these tiny backwoods plots and planted turnips.
IMG_8791.JPG

At the time of planting, I also tried some spray and pray plantings of turnips in some grassy areas thathad been mowed earlier.. Maybe 3 or 4 plants emerged. Not even worth a picture.

I hope this guy walks by one of my daughters during rifle season.
IMG_8797 2.jpg

I stopped at foggy's place on the way home. He is about 15 miles south of me. He agreed to let me post some pictures.

He has great equipment and tons of food on his place as compared to my land.

One of foggy's
IMG_8799 foggys.jpg
alice clover trails.

Another foggy foodplot.

IMG_8798 foggy's.jpg

Browsed hazel at foggy's.

IMG_8802 foggy's browsing.jpg

Foggy were looking at this. Two questions-what is the plant and what are the types of beetles? Japanese?
IMG_8806 foggy's what.jpg

Tilled brassica planting in the foreground and no till in the back ground. All at foggy's.

IMG_8800 foggy's till and no till.jpg

Close up of the no till.

IMG_8801 foggy's no till.jpg

Foggy broadcasted some brassica into this heavily browsed soybean patch.

IMG_8810 foggy's beasn.jpg

IMG_8809 foggy's black cherry.jpg IMG_8809 foggy's black cherry.jpg
I think this is black cherry on foggy's place. I do not see this 15 miles to the north.

Tilled brassica planting in the foreground and no till in the back ground. All at foggy's.

View attachment 1641

Close up of the no till.

View attachment 1642

The pics above showing the difference in young plants.....between the no-till area and the tilled area are quite interesting. Both were planted on the same pass. So far the tilled ground has 4x the growth and germination as the no=till. Niether of the areas was cultipacked.

The plant with insect damage looks like tag alder to me...the damage doesn't look like Jap beetle damage though

Internet searches don't turn up much for insect damage to alders other than alder flea beetle...
Got to agree on the tag alder. There were a whole cluster of beetles in that picture, but they are hard to see. Foggy might have a better picture.

Is this big enough to be used?

IMG_8825.JPG

Up in the north country, I broadcasted the fertilizer, a bit of chicken manure, and some rye on the wooded trail.

The dead grass raked off better on the ground sprayed months ago, as compared to the recently sprayed ground in the foreground.IMG_8833 2.jpg

I finished seeding two small rye/oats plots at the Sandbox.

IMG_8858.JPG

I've got a clipped trail for the deer that leads between the plots.
IMG_8862.JPG

The trail makes a continuous loop around the outer edge of the 40.

And leads to the other rye patch.
IMG_8870.JPG

Very few apples on the Sandbox after our bad winters, but the crab apples came through.

IMG_8839.JPG

I think these are some rootstock suckers that I dug up. The protruding end of the crabs and size resembles dolgos.

This was definitely a rootstock and looks the same. I was told it was antanovka....

IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_8844.JPG

This is probably Morse bunches red. The apples are arranged in clusters and the flower end does not protrude.