All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The perfect hingecut chainsaw is?????

B

BJE80

If you were buying a saw just for hinge cutting, what saw would it be?

I just bought a Still MS170, fairly light and has enough power for hinging, I like it so far.

I just bought a Still MS170, fairly light and has enough power for hinging, I like it so far.
What size bar do you have on yours?

Regardless of size it would be a Stihl.

I've got two Stihl 180's with 14" bars...fantastic saws for hingeing. I can run them most of the day without getting fatigued

Agreed. I have a 16" bar MS250 and it will start to tire me out after an hour or so and I have to take a break.

What size bar do you have on yours?
I have the 16" blade, they didn't have a 14" when I bought it and I didn't want to wait for one to come in. I think the 16" is good, not sure on the 14".

For those with Stihl 170's and 180's - would you say they're up to cutting for hours doing limbing of trees that have been dropped by a bigger saw ?? I want to pick up a " limbing saw " that's not as heavy as my 390. You guys have used the 170's and 180's. Thoughts ??

What everyone else is saying...the 170 and 180 are THE hinging chainsaws and then there are the rest. I routinely take down trees as round as I am with the 170s. It's extremely rare I need to cut something bigger than they handle, and it's never in a hinging situation.

I've got a 380 and I tell my wife if she doesn't want to go to the gym, grab the 250. That 250 is like a feather and it can eat some wood when it's sharp. I would never want a saw smaller, but I've never used these 170s everyone is talking about. If the 250 is too big for my wife could kick your but. Haha

s owned a 380.....and it was THE best firewood chainsaw ever....bar none. But for my needs today.....the 180 is the deal. I can cut any tree on my place with it.....and it doesn't leave me with a sore back. If I have a bigger job....I'm gonna hire it done!

Sounds like a 180 is gonna be in my truck very shortly !! Hinging & limbing both. Thanks for the input guys.

Stihl Cedar.JPG 170's can handle some pretty large stuff. Haven't bit into a tree yet with it I can't make my Bi%@& :)

Stihl MS241. I don't own one, but I have run one a few times that a logger buddy owns and it is a slick little saw. I thought it had a ton of power for only being a little over 10lbs. with a 16" bar and full of fluids.

I just used my 170 14" for the first time and I was not impressed. The chain continually pinched from a lack of power. I am hoping it is a gas issue. I flooded it the first time trying to start it (didn't choke it right). Still on the first tank of gas so hopefully it works itself out if that is what the problem is.

I just used my 170 14" for the first time and I was not impressed. The chain continually pinched from a lack of power. I am hoping it is a gas issue. I flooded it the first time trying to start it (didn't choke it right). Still on the first tank of gas so hopefully it works itself out if that is what the problem is.
Only time I ever get chain pinch is when I am cutting against the lean of the tree so it is trying to actually fall toward the cut side. Hinging with the lean is just like slicing warm butter...same holds for cutting stuff that is down and cutting against the pinch instead of away from it...

Only time I ever get chain pinch is when I am cutting against the lean of the tree so it is trying to actually fall toward the cut side. Hinging with the lean is just like slicing warm butter...same holds for cutting stuff that is down and cutting against the pinch instead of away from it...
Right when I go full throttle there is a brief delay and it bogs down like it is flooded, then it takes off. In that brief delay is when the chain gets pinched. Maybe pinched is the wrong word but the chain comes to a stop and I have to back the saw out and start over.

I'd try different gas. If that doesn't work, take it back and get a new one. I've logged about 200 hrs the last 2 years cutting with the same unit and never had that issue. I've also taken down hickories and oaks that are bigger than me with it. Even on them, I never had pinch issue. That said, it wanted to bog down when it got to the the largest cut area. A trick I learned early on is, when you get to the heart of the cut, start angling the cut between on side, the other and then the middle. That way you're only cutting a % of the area you'd cut if going straight through, if you follow me. The final cut comes out the exact same as if you were using a larger chainsaw, but it isn't as taxing on the saw engine, as you are reducing the amount of cut it's making through the widest portion of the tree.

It could be the gas or carb setting but, probably technique.