The Home 70

Brian662

5 year old buck +
I've been a forum member a few years and really enjoy this community. You guys always share good stuff and the amount I've learned here has been important with my own habitat work. I've always been very hesitant to share anything publicly on the internet but I feel pretty good about sharing some of the work I've done on my home property.

Here is the home 70. Located in SE MN and purchased in late 2013. It was "our" first home purchased just before we were married.
Open acreage sets up like a blank canvas, here is the OnX aerial. It looks much different than this now, I assume this imaging is 7 or 8 years old.
home 70.png

Property started with about 38 acres in tillable and is now down to ~9 acres, the two fields closest to the road on the north end remain predominantly corn year over year.

The neighborhood:
surrounding property.JPG

I would say the hunting pressure is very high with many small parcels that see multiple hunters.

I'll get started with adding some pics of deer harvested and kind of unroll a few pics as we go that I've saved in my camera roll.

Looks like some great views. Soils must be strong to sustain annual corn production.

The views are good, no doubt. Soil is bottom land silt loam. Probably average to above average but they should be rotating more often than they do, IMO.
A few views from different locations on the property.20221007_183144.jpg20201225_070710.jpg20231010_164049.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't find my buck from 2018 photos anywhere. I'll take a pick of the euro and put it on here later.

First buck I took from the place, Nov 2 2015. Held full draw for what seemed like 5 minutes waiting for him to step out. Had a doe and fawn in the kill plot and he stood in the security cover and watched them. Finally had a basket step into the plot and he wasnt going to let that basket beat him to the doe. Single lung and liver. Went 70 yards, stood there for 2 minutes and laid down. Waited in the stand for an hour after dark before heading home. Was just one of those magical afternoon/evening bow hunts, had so many deer come through the hour before sunset.
Taxidermist aged him at 9.5 years old, wish I still had pics of his teeth, they were all but gone.
20151102_200722.jpg

Looks like a small slice of heaven

Couldn't find my buck from 2018 photos anywhere. I'll take a pick of the euro and put it on here later.

First buck I took from the place, Nov 2 2015. Held full draw for what seemed like 5 minutes waiting for him to step out. Had a doe and fawn in the kill plot and he stood in the security cover and watched them. Finally had a basket step into the plot and he wasnt going to let that basket beat him to the doe. Single lung and liver. Went 70 yards, stood there for 2 minutes and laid down. Waited in the stand for an hour after dark before heading home. Was just one of those magical afternoon/evening bow hunts, had so many deer come through the hour before sunset.
Taxidermist aged him at 9.5 years old, wish I still had pics of his teeth, they were all but gone.
View attachment 65266

Something about really long brow tines that get me going! Age of 9.5 is amazing. I had one that called our property home get to 7.5 yo and he was starting to go down hill at that point. For a buck get to 5.5 around us is pretty special!

The views are good, no doubt. Soil is bottom land silt loam. Probably average to above average but they should be rotating more often than they do, IMO.
A few views from different locations on the property.View attachment 65263View attachment 65264View attachment 65265
Some gorgeous land! Thanks for sharing.

What are the small square plots in the first photo?

Some gorgeous land! Thanks for sharing.

What are the small square plots in the first photo?
That's old field growth with a few plantings mixed in. 99% of what you see was in the seed bed. That was last farmed 4 seasons ago and is now 12-15' tall box elder and early successional plant life.

Filmore County?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some miscanthus I planted last year. Three rows along the road, it's chin high already. Very impressed that it is doing so well considering the D3 drought in the planting year. This was planted to screen ag field and CRP/food on my middle field. Lots of slow driving looky-loos around Oct/Nov in this area.
20240610_191303.jpg
20240610_191204.jpg

20240609_201412.jpg20240609_202033.jpg

Some shrubs and conifers I planted into a CRP style planting. This is the third growing season on everything, very pleased with how it's coming along. Here is a plum and hazelnut. Also have ROD, nannyberry, highbush cranberry, and nine bark. Conifers include white pine, white spruce, white cedar, red cedar, and Norway spruce. The lines of conifer/shrubs will make semi-circles and funnel deer movement towards my plot/blind at the bottom.

Last edited:
20240609_115025.jpg
Along the edge of the garden I've started planting little (cheap) Norway spruce and ROD. Once the spruce get big enough they will be transplanted onto the property. The nearest row will be transplanted this fall or next spring depending on free time. The ROD is weed matted and caged so I can get easy cuttings for future propagation.
My wife likes McIntosh apples so the kids and I started a few of those trees for her last year on Mother's day on the back left of the pic.