swamp white oak?

N

non-pro-archer

Is this a swo or are there other white oaks that have the long stem and a 45 degree angle?14108146641260.jpg

j-bird

Leaves in the pic look more like regular white oak to me.

THunter

5 year old buck +
Regular white oak.

N

non-pro-archer

So a regular white oak will have the long stem too?

N

non-pro-archer

This is one I thought was a regular white oak, is it another variety? 14108234155980.jpg

j-bird

The way I tell a regular white from a swamp white is how deep the lobes are. Regular white oak has much deeper lobes than a swamp white oak does. What your calling a white oak - seems "off" to me (Just my opinion). I am not sure what it is. Not saying it isn't, it certainly is a member of the white oak family. I could be all wrong as well.

N

non-pro-archer

I see the difference between swo and regular white now. I need to learn my oak trees better

THunter

5 year old buck +
Regardless of swo or regular oak THAT is where I'd be sitting with my rifle next month.

N

non-pro-archer

I'll be there with my bow as soon as they start dropping, there's always a couple does under them morning and night when they are dropping

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Also look at the shape of your tree. A swo will is often taller and narrower, while a plain white is shorter and wider. In my experience anyway.

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
It may be a hybrid, but it has some SWO in it. I am pretty sure only 2 members of the white oak group produce acorns growing at the end of a stem (perduncle); they are swamp white oaks and english oaks. The acorn in your picture is a little elongated in relation to swo acorns I collect; perhaps it is a swo crossed with a regular white oak

N

non-pro-archer

It may be a hybrid, but it has some SWO in it. I am pretty sure only 2 members of the white oak group produce acorns growing at the end of a stem (perduncle); they are swamp white oaks and english oaks. The acorn in your picture is a little elongated in relation to swo acorns I collect; perhaps it is a swo crossed with a regular white oak
Maybe I'm not crazy after all. It's a consistent producer unlike the other white oaks on my farm that only produce every other year. This tree and it's brother right next to it produce every year