Susquehanna and Shenandoah

Nice!

I planted a bareroot pawpaw about 3 or 4 years ago and it's still that size. I figured I'd experiment with planting seeds. I stratified them in the fridge over the winter.
The varieties I planted were:

Hi 7-1
IxL
KSU Atwood
KSU Benson
KSU Chappel
NC1
Rebecca's Gold
Sunflower, and
Susquehanna

I planted a bareroot pawpaw about 3 or 4 years ago and it's still that size.

My trees are growing like crazy. They put about 6” on this month. All of the growth you see is new this spring. When I got them they were basically sticks of scionwood.9CE5A6B6-75F0-493B-B960-C58FAE823A2D.jpeg

I grew mine from seed. I started them under lights in the winter. This thread has the details of starting them: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/any-paw-paw-experts-transferred-from-qdma-forums.5710/

Mine grew very well on my lower deck that was protected from direct sun. I planted the first batch at our pine farm unprotected. I've never seen deer mess with pawpaw but that must not be true of young ones. I don't know if it was the poor soil, attention from deer, or something else. Maybe rabbits or something else got to them. Of 20+ planted at the farm, I only have 3 or 4 left. Those have shown very little growth.

Last year, I planted some at our retirement property. I did cage them. It is about 15 minutes from the pine farm so the climate is the same. The soil is better there. In both cases they were planted in full sun. The pawpaw at the retirement property have been growing very well.

Thannks,

Jack

That's interesting Jack. I have cattle and then some goats I can't catch that have access to graze in the spot I planted my unprotected pawpaw several years ago and nothing seems interested in it. Quite surprising they left it alone because the goats seem to clean up anything the cattle don't. The pawpaw seminar I attended by KSU said that deer don't really eat them much or mess with the trees/leaves other than rubbing them at times. Pawpaws can be quite fussy it seems with soil fertility, sun/shade requirements early on in life, sunscald, and perhaps transplant shock with their long taproot. It's hard to say what might have gotten them.

That's interesting Jack. I have cattle and then some goats I can't catch that have access to graze in the spot I planted my unprotected pawpaw several years ago and nothing seems interested in it. Quite surprising they left it alone because the goats seem to clean up anything the cattle don't. The pawpaw seminar I attended by KSU said that deer don't really eat them much or mess with the trees/leaves other than rubbing them at times. Pawpaws can be quite fussy it seems with soil fertility, sun/shade requirements early on in life, sunscald, and perhaps transplant shock with their long taproot. It's hard to say what might have gotten them.

Yes, my experience with native pawpaws is that deer ignore them. I've hunted in places with a 6' browse line and the only thing green under 6' was pawpaw. So, I was surprised. I can't be certain it was deer, but something was sure browsing on them.

Mine had no taproot. I used root pruning containers. They all had very good root systems when planted, but no tap root. It was pruned with 18s at 4". You are right about the photosensitivity. When trees are young they can't take full sun. That is why mine spent the first two growing seasons on my lower deck protected from direct sun. I have seen folks who direct seed build structures to shade them for the first 2 years. They fruit best if in full sun. They are naturally an understory tree.

Thanks,

Jack

I was at the retirement property today and took a picture of one of the pawpaws that I planted there and fenced.

65d112ae-c06d-4935-b8e6-55fbbd6dfdf7.jpg

My trees are not grafted. They are seedling trees.

Jack