survivor buck

Roy, I have experienced the same thing as you on many deer I have let go to 4.5 but there have been a few that jumped considerably after 3. Most deer that were 4 pts at 3 are 4 points at 4. They just have added some mass and maybe some height. They get targeted at 5.5 regardless.

I don't target anything that I feel is less than 4. I have eaten a lot of tag soup but does keep me supplied with deer meat. The deer that we have taken off our land in the past years that were 4.5 or older have scored from the high 100 and teens to high 140's. With this year's monster and a another that went 161 2/8(another incredible deer in my book), this year was an exceptional year for us and not the norm.:)

My buddy had him officially scored at a sports show today. It was like ground growage, when you walk up to your buck and it gets bigger, rare I know.
clear.png
He had scored it at 177 2/8 gross but the bc guy scored it at 186 gross. Gotta love it.

In my mind when he told me 177 I thought, wow, I thought it was bigger than that, I suck at guessing scores. Glad it went the direction it did. Makes it even sweeter.

Great buck,and yes I don't think you can really tell what a buck will max out at until one of 2 things happen he is going downhill or dead