Sunn Hemp

Thanks. I checked your journal. I planted some miscanthus a couple of years ago, low PH and sandy. Not much so far. Keep me posted on your progress.

I would like to eventually use sun hemp in a plot along with climbing forage soybeans, peas, and climbing green beans. They make a great trellis structure.
Whitetail Institute has them in their "powerplant" mixture for this very reason. Good news is that if you don't live in the VERY southern US (southern tips of Texas and Florida only) it won't set viable seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted buckwheat and oats with the sunn hemp, the buckwheat and oats are doing ok just waiting for the sunn hemp maybe there's some of it in there but I can't tell right now.

I'm seeing lots of talk of sunn hemp - I wish I would have noticed earlier. I planted 4 or 5 acres of plots for soil building / green manure. Had I been smart enough it seems sunn hemp would have been a good choice. Oh well, buckwheat and a few others thrown in for fun will have to do.

-John

Under ideal conditions Sunn Hemp CAN produce nodules up to the size of golf balls. That's a whole lot of free N for your fall planted cereals or brassicas.

I've been planting sunn hemp for several years now both in mixes as well as mono crops. It performs terrifically here in the deep south. Doesn't hurt my feelings that the deer enjoy what it does as well. Here is a pic from yesterday showing grazing on 2' plants.IMG_4340.JPG

I thought about planting it but I figured the deer would naw it down after germination. Gang Woods says it does get eaten but you guys have proved that wrong

I'm not 100% sure this is sunn hemp but this has come up in the plot I planted the sunn hemp in and it is getting browsed pretty good.

Hey Scott, looks like it worked. i planted mine 6/9. Finally got a little rain. Just now germinating.