Sunn Hemp

scott44

5 year old buck +
I have 10# of Sunn Hemp and my plan was to add a couple pounds to my sorghum mix planted early this next summer and to take a strip of last years brassicas and lightly disc it and plant the strip to sunn hemp just to see how it grows here in MI and if the deer like it. It looks like it grows pretty tall in the south and I was wondering if anyone in the north has ever planted sunn hemp and what height they got out of it?

I was hoping someone would respond as I am interested in how it has worked in the north as well.

I was hoping someone would respond as I am interested in how it has worked in the north as well.
Hopefully I have some good pic of it next fall and how it does up north good or bad.

I can't speak to the north, but I experimented with it in zone 7A. My hope was a summer food alternative to soybeans at a lower cost. My experiment was small, but it was not encouraging. I saw a lot of encouraging reports from guys south of me on the old forum. I decided not to continue with it at the time based on the results. Part of the problem could have been my deer densities. I may have to try it again sometime.

Thanks,

Jack

I guess If it was me id use it strictly as a N fixer and terminate it at the 60 day mark. If guessing unless its in an extremely thick stand you couldnt even burn it off the following spring.

Got the sunn hemp in the ground today, I planted it in last years sorghum plot. I planted a 12' strip the length of the plot and added oats and buckwheat to the sunn hemp so we'll see how it does.

where my acre of sun hemp was protected by a thorn bush individual plants got about 4 feet tall, everywhre else they were eaten to about a foot. did well, just be ready for it to die at the first sign of frost, better have an undercrop to be ready for use.

where my acre of sun hemp was protected by a thorn bush individual plants got about 4 feet tall, everywhre else they were eaten to about a foot. did well, just be ready for it to die at the first sign of frost, better have an undercrop to be ready for use.
Maybe broadcast the LC cereal grain mix into it when I'm planting it around labor day. Thanks!

That's strange on deer eating it. On Growing Deer TV Grant Woods said deer don't eat sun hemp.

That's strange on deer eating it. On Growing Deer TV Grant Woods said deer don't eat sun hemp.
They definitely eat mine. They can keep up with the growth but particularly like eating the tops when it is young. last fall I watched a deer picking leaves off a 10' plant in Nov. This after planting it for 2 years.

Add some climbing peas to that mix next time. Its even better.I planted 2 ac last year of Sunn Hemp, WGS, Buckwheat and Red Ripper Peas. The BW came on strong first but was then overtaken by the Hemp/Peas which grew to about 8 feet tall.The Sorhgum fizzled because I planted the Hemp to dense.

Add some climbing peas to that mix next time. Its even better.I planted 2 ac last year of Sunn Hemp, WGS, Buckwheat and Red Ripper Peas. The BW came on strong first but was then overtaken by the Hemp/Peas which grew to about 8 feet tall.The Sorhgum fizzled because I planted the Hemp to dense.

How much and what ratios please. Will be drilling in that same mixture in about two weeks and any info would help.
thanks

The ratio's shown in this picture are:
cowpeas-50 lbs/acre
soybeans-25 lbs/acre
sunn hemp-10 lbs/acre
sunflower- 6lbs/acre
Granted, this planted in the deep south in an 18 acre field. I planted the same mix in a 10 acre filed with same results.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 49
The ratio's shown in this picture are:
cowpeas-50 lbs/acre
soybeans-25 lbs/acre
sunn hemp-10 lbs/acre
sunflower- 6lbs/acre
Granted, this planted in the deep south in an 18 acre field. I planted the same mix in a 10 acre filed with same results.

Thanks for the ratios.
Have you ever left that mix to stand as winter feed?

Hey Scott, I am north of you in Lewiston. I planted Imperial Whitetail PowerPlant last year in 2 different fields. It has Sunn Hemp for structure and soybeans and peas. If I read your post correctly, you already planted. According to Whitetail Institute, it should not be planted until soil temperatures are a constant 65 degrees. Both of my plots were complete failures. Very little germination and I had an infestation of some kind of lime green grass that I could not identify.

This year, I will plant Fast Gro from Grand Pa Ray's that includes 50% Sunn Hemp, 25% Buckwheat and 25% Sorghum. Grand Pa Ray's instructions call for 60 degree temperatures. It is not warm enough for me yet.

I will either till it in or mow, then follow with Winfred brassica, peas and radishes.

This is from Hancock Seed, located in Florida:
Sunn Hemp has been recognized as a excellent choice for summer food plot plantings in the last several years. Sunn Hemp is a tropical legume species most commonly used for soil building or cover crops. This legume species will grow as tall as 6 feet in 60 days. Sunn Hemp has a protein content of 28% - 30% compared to alfalfa at 20% providing outstanding food plot nutrition. Planting rates for food plots range from 15 lbs. with other species to 30 lbs. as a stand alone. Sunn Hemp germinates and grows incredibly fast. For food plots, sunn hemp should be incorporated or tilled back into the soil after 60 to 80 days to prevent the plants from reaching full maturity. This species is a variety of Hemp and contains a very fibrous stalk which can be problematic after maturity. In our experience the best management practice for sunn hemp for food plots is to mow the hemp off at 12 inches after it reaches 3 to 4 feet in height. The plant will regrow from the stubble and the deer will continue to benefit from the plants nutritious leaves and tender buds.
This is from the University of Florida:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ng043
Frost will kill it in the fall.

Hey Scott, I am north of you in Lewiston. I planted Imperial Whitetail PowerPlant last year in 2 different fields. It has Sunn Hemp for structure and soybeans and peas. If I read your post correctly, you already planted. According to Whitetail Institute, it should not be planted until soil temperatures are a constant 65 degrees. Both of my plots were complete failures. Very little germination and I had an infestation of some kind of lime green grass that I could not identify.

This year, I will plant Fast Gro from Grand Pa Ray's that includes 50% Sunn Hemp, 25% Buckwheat and 25% Sorghum. Grand Pa Ray's instructions call for 60 degree temperatures. It is not warm enough for me yet.

I will either till it in or mow, then follow with Winfred brassica, peas and radishes.

Thanks! I might have got it in alittle early, soil temps here mid 50's.

Thanks! I might have got it in alittle early, soil temps here mid 50's.
I seen a post somewhere from a guy in the UP with 60 soil temps now.

If no frost after germination, you might be ok.

If no frost after germination, you might be ok.
Quite a bit of moisture here that last little bit and it looks like temps are going to be warmer starting tomorrow. Welcome Bowman!