Sulfer

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
How does a guy add sulfer to the soil? I tried reading though here some, is it AMS? Where would a guy find that at?

Thanks

Sulfur can be added to your soil in many ways...AMS, gypsum, elemental sulfur. I guess it depends on what your goal is. Do you need N as well as sulfur? If so...maybe AMS is the way to go. Are you trying to simply lower your pH? Elemental sulfur is all you need.

Yes I goofed on the spelling of sulfur, it didn't look right when I typed it. I haven't soil tested, but have seen some other guys from northern MN talking about low sulfur. I have tried growing barassicas in the past and never amount to much, this year is the same. So my thinking was trying to get some and try a little test area to see if it does anything.

My soil tests low for sulfur, like 2ppm the last time. I've started to use AMS when I top dress my plots in the middle of August. Also, gypsum, which should help improve not only the sulfur, but do whatever SD says it'll do for my clay. I don't worry about the science much. I get a sample, show it to people that know stuff, and follow their advice. I have enough other things to worry about aside from cation exchange rate and balance...... whatever all that means.

Test your soil first. You're likely to save money in the long run.

Where do you get AMS? Would most elevators sell it?

Where do you get AMS? Would most elevators sell it?
I live in the Twin Cities. I get my fertilizer at a place called Fertimix in Jordan MN. They will even do custom blends to match a soil sample at no extra cost. It makes it easier to apply when it's all mixed together in the right amounts to begin with.

The down side to AMS is that it's only 21-0-0 vs urea which is 42-0-0. So it takes twice as much, which is a bummer. I did read that it will last a little longer on the surface than urea if you broadcast without incorporating it like I do. Can't always time it right with rain.

Oh, and I mix the spray grade AMS with my water when I spray herbicide. Next year, I'll test again and maybe my sulfur will be up some.

The down side to AMS is that it's only 21-0-0 vs urea which is 42-0-0. So it takes twice as much, which is a bummer. I did read that it will last a little longer on the surface than urea if you broadcast without incorporating it like I do. Can't always time it right with rain.

Oh, and I mix the spray grade AMS with my water when I spray herbicide. Next year, I'll test again and maybe my sulfur will be up some.

What is the price comparison for AMS versus urea? I bought 100# of urea from my co-op for $32 (including tax) which I didn’t feel was a bad price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think I'm close to what you're paying, maybe a couple dollars more, from the Fertimix place. AMS was about the same price per 50LBS last year as urea. I'll do half and half on my brassica when I'm ready to top dress.

I quit using fertilizer 2 years ago. When I did use it, I got urea for $5 per 5 gal bucket at the local coop. Unfortunately they stopped handling granule AMS for some reason and only carry the liquid which is quite expensive.

EDIT: I did put out a bag of gypsum out on my clover a few weeks ago. I guess you could consider that fertilizer. I consider it a soil amendment.

I quit using fertilizer 2 years ago. When I did use it, I got urea for $5 per 5 gal bucket at the local coop. Unfortunately they stopped handling granule AMS for some reason and only carry the liquid which is quite expensive.

EDIT: I did put out a bag of gypsum out on my clover a few weeks ago. I guess you could consider that fertilizer. I consider it a soil amendment.
How long did you use fertilizer and where were your numbers when you started VS when you quit? I'm still low(ish) on P&K despite pouring it on last year. I'm hoping to reach some sort of equilibrium in the next year or two as my PH rises and nutrients settle in. Then, I'm hoping it'll be very little synthetic fertilizer for me.

How long did you use fertilizer and where were your numbers when you started VS when you quit? I'm still low(ish) on P&K despite pouring it on last year. I'm hoping to reach some sort of equilibrium in the next year or two as my PH rises and nutrients settle in. Then, I'm hoping it'll be very little synthetic fertilizer for me.

Organic: Matter 4.7 VH Phosphorus: p1 32vh p2 49 h Potassium 176vh Magnesium 385vh Calcium 1759H PH 7.6 CEC 12.5

This is the test results from the one and only soil test I've ever taken. It was two years ago so not sure what the numbers are looking like now. The thing is these numbers don't reflect how much of the nutrients are actually plant available.

It grows nice peas, beans, sunflowers, brassicas, and cereals. Sugar beets should have extra N added (I didn't add any this year just to see what I could grow) This is also my first year growing milo so the jury is still out on whether or not any N is a must.

I did add some gypsum to the strip that is in clover so I would think the calcium is slightly higher, and the ph is slightly lower. Without a test though its just a guess.