Stock Market is the bottom in?

Why did you sell?
Market was screaming hot and I didn’t really use that property after moving 11-12 hours away and just don’t see myself moving back to Northern Wisconsin. I’ve grown accustomed to mild winters of Southeast Kansas and have little interest in living up there again even after retirement. My brother and I also logged that 40 before selling we made a great deal of money on that investment. I did very seriously consider buying it back a second time and reselling it but I really have to many irons in the fire as it is. I even sold another 40 acres up there to my sister and brother in-law last year that I had always figured I’d build a retirement home on someday but things change if I ever reconsidered moving back up there I still have three homes up there to live in and let my wife experience a northern winter once.

Market is on sale, I can’t imagine not being maxed out on 401k right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Market is on sale, I can’t imagine not being maxed out on 401k right now.

Market timing doesn't have a very good track record in the long run, whether it is for individual stocks or the market as a whole. I'd suggest avoiding trying to time the market. Maybe it is on sale, or maybe the sale will get much deeper for longer. As far as 401Ks go, I'd suggest putting in as much as you can afford and at least the max of what, if any, matching your company does. Start as young as you can and cut back on other discretionary spending to maximize your contribution. If young and you have a roth option, take it. Do this continuously on a regular basis regardless if you think the market is overpriced or on sale.

Thanks,

Jack

Market timing doesn't have a very good track record in the long run, whether it is for individual stocks or the market as a whole. I'd suggest avoiding trying to time the market. Maybe it is on sale, or maybe the sale will get much deeper for longer. As far as 401Ks go, I'd suggest putting in as much as you can afford and at least the max of what, if any, matching your company does. Start as young as you can and cut back on other discretionary spending to maximize your contribution. If young and you have a roth option, take it. Do this continuously on a regular basis regardless if you think the market is overpriced or on sale.

Thanks,

Jack

I’ve been maxed for 20 years. Not sure why you are rambling at my post

Need multiple "like" buttons on this one. ^^^^

Time is your friend .... so start early. The earlier the better. Dollar-cost averaging the same amount each period you choose (weekly, monthly) will FORCE you to buy on sale - no matter what the market's doing. If you have the income level to do it - put $100 from every paycheck away automatically - set up your retirement plan to re-invest all dividends and interest - and watch your nest egg take off. Keep at this - at whatever income / savings level - and look what you have in 30 or 40 years. You'll thank yourself at that point.

Great news for you Gator!

I think Jack's just sharing some time-proven points for you or others who may be reading here. Lots of lurkers who don't post or ask questions that may gain some $$$ knowledge. I've learned lots from other guys' posts on a variety of subjects. Most of us on here TRY to be helpful in any of these threads, if we can - and sometimes the TRYING is misinterpreted.

Gator,

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. I read your comment on the market being on sale as related to being maxed out on 401K contributions. I was not commenting on your personal situation. I was commenting on the general practice of increasing 401K contributions when you thing the market is on sale and decreasing them when you think it is toppy.

Thanks,

Jack

I opened an account with Treasury Direct today. That's the federal government's portal to be able to buy all things government debt instruments without middle men like mutual funds, ETFs, and so forth. The three month treasury is paying 4.3% right now. Not going bananas, but I'm gonna park a little cash in those while we wait to see how long the big squeeze is going to go on.

I've been looking for short term treasury ETF's to do the same thing, and it looks like they are all keeping 75% of the income from the fund in fees, unless I'm missing something. Plus if I hold those 3 month treasuries to maturity, there should be no interest rate risk.

Picked up some INTC and PRU today. Too risky to buy and hold, so I've got them working the corner.

I also got my first test treasury yesterday. Apparently those are sold at a discount to maturity. Kind of a neat deal to get a rolling 13-week treasury at 4.3% interest with no fees. Not planning to put much of anything there, I just wanted to experience the mechanics, so when the time is right, I can park something there and not worry about having to figure it out.

I saw 6 month CD's at 4.6 APR last week. Lower when I looked today. That's 2.6% for 6 months, not great but better then savings interest.

3 standouts for me ..

Valero Energy, General Mills, Broadcom . Good solid dividends and appreciation in 2022.

Gray cat loves Generac. Too risky to buy and hold, so she’s going up on the pole. Could get bumpy as real estate takes on water. I’m betting their clientele will shift as the grid continues to fall apart and it becomes more everyday necessity vs prudent crisis prep.

Gray cat loves Generac. Too risky to buy and hold, so she’s going up on the pole. Could get bumpy as real estate takes on water. I’m betting their clientele will shift as the grid continues to fall apart and it becomes more everyday necessity vs prudent crisis prep.

The great thing about Generac is that they do residential and commercial power generators. They are also one of the bigger players in the solar market. I absolutely agree with you that self-sufficiency will increase in demand. My brother works for them and has nearly only positive things to say.

The great thing about Generac is that they do residential and commercial power generators. They are also one of the bigger players in the solar market. I absolutely agree with you that self-sufficiency will increase in demand. My brother works for them and has nearly only positive things to say.
Why not somebody like HONDA who makes great products.....is larger in generators than generac.....and pays a 6% dividend while you wait. PE ratio is les than half that of the market or Generic......and they have a track record too. I like that divided while you wait. ......and the price is at a discount to the past. Not sure why they are out of favor??? ....but the stock looks attractive at this price. Talk me out of it?

I like General Mills and AQMS

aqua metals. They have a lithium battery recovery project on line now.

Oyster has really done well, but it may be topped out…….I didn’t buy enough of that one.

Why not somebody like HONDA who makes great products.....is larger in generators than generac.....and pays a 6% dividend while you wait. PE ratio is les than half that of the market or Generic......and they have a track record too. I like that divided while you wait. ......and the price is at a discount to the past. Not sure why they are out of favor??? ....but the stock looks attractive at this price. Talk me out of it?
I don't know enough about them to offer any help there. I think Generac is a better pure play vs Honda who's in a little bit of everything and anything that has a motor. I also don't like the car business. Too dependent on people's ability to get access to more credit.

AQMS up 19 % today.

Honda does make a most excellent motor.

AQMS. Up 27 % today.

it started the Holidays at $0. 50 It’s $1.17 now

Been an enjoyable thread to follow. To the OP's original question, the bottom was in when he posted in March 2020. I'm still adding to my regular contributions each month and will continue to do so. Have the discipline to add something every month and enjoy the ride. The good ol' boring SPY gets most of my additions. But, always fun to pick a few individual stocks to go along with my SPY.