Stock Market is the bottom in?

The problem with stocks like this is that their rapid rise is fueled by emotional speculation. That emotion can quickly change in the other direction. When there are different parties that benefit from rise or fall, hard to figure out a real basis for value.
There may not BE any real intrinsic value - with Gamestop or any other such stock. What's happening is very similar to the old "pump & dump" stock plays / ploys. The real losers will be the ultra-greedy who want to wring the last nickel out of a stock's rise. If you're still holding when the bottom falls out .......................... it's cryin' time.

Waaaaay too sketchy a brand of SPECULATION !!!! And I don't want to spend my life GLUED to a screen to avoid being the "last rat on the ship." Good luck to the gamblers.

I Now have 8k invested in a couple of these stocks. I wouldn’t call it speculation. I know these companies amc. Nok, expr, are crap. The plan was to stick it to the hedge funds that short everything and cost all of us millions. The plan worked to perfection on game stop and was working on these stocks until the hedge guys fought back.
The idea of sticking it too the hedge fund managers is long overdue for their market manipulation by shorting things. THEY should be the ones in prison!!!!!!! Given the amounts of money involved, I'm quite sure some brown envelopes will be flying to the hands of legislators to protect the big hedge funds and Wall Streeter's from being regulated so avg. people don't get screwed. The BIG BOYS don't like "little guys" F-ing with their game of "steal the billions." It's BEEN unfettered robbery by computer screen ....................... and our life-long investments for retirement can be taken or vastly reduced by the click of a mouse or the swipe of a pen.

Watch WHICH politicians side with the big boys ............... watch CAREFULLY now. The weasels are licking their chops.

You guys are all discussing investments, and success in investing. Well, I have had pretty crap luck in my investments.

A little history, my mid 20's I finished most of my schooling, had a good paying job, 6 figures, 401k maxed out, employer matched to 5%. Fast forward 3 years, and I was 27, wife left me, took the kids, and half of my 401k, stuck with an upside down house, and a bunch of lawyer bills, and child support. Cashed out more of the 401k to pay the lawyer bills. At 35, thought things were going good, found my future ex wife, kids were getting older, and wanted to live with dad, so I hired a lawyer, fought for them, and won, and won a $45,000 lawyer bill to go along with them. At 40, I had a bad injury to both my shoulders, which effected my job, and had to find a different job, and it payed less. Future ex wife became ex wife and took half of the 401k, and half the equity in the house, in a hot market. Market crashed, house not worth crap, back to upside down, and my 401k was switched to an IRA when I changed jobs, so no more big investing. Now I am 50, and sold my house, to build a house on my hunting land, which I will be moving to this summer. I am remarried happily, have been for 6 years. Will have a smallish loan on the new house, but still not much in for retirement. After being burnt a couple times, I have been hesitant to go back in.

We talked to our financial investor last week, we are doing better then we thought, but not anywhere close to where we should be. Talking to her, she thinks the market will go into overdrive this fall, when things return to normal. She doesnt think that we are in a bubble, and once life returns to normal, the stock market will shoot up for another record year. I have my doubts, and am expecting a crash soon, and very hesitant to invest heavier then I have been, which isnt very much.

Are you guys thinking the market will shoot up this fall, next winter after life returns to normal? Or are you expecting a crash this summer, like I am?

You guys are all discussing investments, and success in investing. Well, I have had pretty crap luck in my investments.

A little history, my mid 20's I finished most of my schooling, had a good paying job, 6 figures, 401k maxed out, employer matched to 5%. Fast forward 3 years, and I was 27, wife left me, took the kids, and half of my 401k, stuck with an upside down house, and a bunch of lawyer bills, and child support. Cashed out more of the 401k to pay the lawyer bills. At 35, thought things were going good, found my future ex wife, kids were getting older, and wanted to live with dad, so I hired a lawyer, fought for them, and won, and won a $45,000 lawyer bill to go along with them. At 40, I had a bad injury to both my shoulders, which effected my job, and had to find a different job, and it payed less. Future ex wife became ex wife and took half of the 401k, and half the equity in the house, in a hot market. Market crashed, house not worth crap, back to upside down, and my 401k was switched to an IRA when I changed jobs, so no more big investing. Now I am 50, and sold my house, to build a house on my hunting land, which I will be moving to this summer. I am remarried happily, have been for 6 years. Will have a smallish loan on the new house, but still not much in for retirement. After being burnt a couple times, I have been hesitant to go back in.

We talked to our financial investor last week, we are doing better then we thought, but not anywhere close to where we should be. Talking to her, she thinks the market will go into overdrive this fall, when things return to normal. She doesnt think that we are in a bubble, and once life returns to normal, the stock market will shoot up for another record year. I have my doubts, and am expecting a crash soon, and very hesitant to invest heavier then I have been, which isnt very much.

Are you guys thinking the market will shoot up this fall, next winter after life returns to normal? Or are you expecting a crash this summer, like I am?
If the fed keeps giving us a fresh 1-2 trillion per month to buy stuff, ain't no place to go but up.

Holy smokes...X's got half your 401K twice..ouch! I feel for you man.
I think the stock market has a better chance to stall out and go down for the next couple years with all the new regs that are about to strangle big business and the job market, I would play it very cool for a while.

About the last thing Joe has left to destroy is the tax code. If he Jacks the capital gains tax I expect a crash by the end of the year. I am usually wrong so load up.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I don't think you need investment advice ... for you it is not about the market.

A friend of mine once told me the best investment advice to grow old and accumulate wealth before retirementment is to never have a 2nd Mrs 4wanderingeyes . . . :emoji_wink:

Last edited:

"I have been hesitant to go back in."

Sounds to me that you were quick to jumped back in a couple times. :emoji_smile: Oh, you meant the market...

In my opinion, there is no free lunch. COVID has, and continues, to do a lot of damage to the real economy. The government is throwing big money at the economy to keep it from collapsing (as they need to). The market is reacting to all that influx of money in the short term. The government can't throw money at the problem indefinitely. Eventually, this needs to be paid for. Hopefully during better economic times, but the time will come when payment is required. All of the things that can resolve this, don't bode well for the market in the future.

The big question is how long until it corrects, how deep and for how long. I've been moving more toward cash. Just my humble opinion, but the market sometimes has a mind of its own. :emoji_smile:

Thanks,

Jack

MtohPQV.jpg

Should we start a thread somewhere?

BTW, I've hit my deducible already for this year. I have a medicine I have to take for a blood disorder. So my deductible is not a matter of if but when. this year It was mid january.

I'm a nightmare of health insurances
Yikes, we never hit our deductible. I guess in the end you get to stick it to them. Me not so much, but I guess you'd rather not..

Do any of you remember the CD rate of 15.9% on a 5 yr CD in 1981? Ya, i know that's a long time ago; however, I lot of folks would have locked their dough for life if they could (almost 16% annual return with no risk).

Ha, I missed that, I remember because my father spoke of it. But mortgage rates were 18%.
If that came back right now I'd be in a great spot, but lots of people wouldn't.

Ha, I missed that, I remember because my father spoke of it. But mortgage rates were 18%.
If that came back right now I'd be in a great spot, but lots of people wouldn't.

But consider the inflation rate back then. High interest rates coupled with high inflation rates don't bode well for the retired. Fixed income with increasing costs.

As regards my post #542 - My point was and is - REGULATIONS ARE NECESSARY in the financial industry. Deregulation, eliminating funding and staff to the agencies tasked with policing the financial industry are like taking out the security systems in banks. It's only a matter of time before EVERYONE'S money is gone .............. by snake-oil sales pitches, "great investment advice", or hidden fine-print loopholes carefully placed like landmines to take advantage of the unschooled or unwary. Who among us has the time or resources to devote to learning every fine-print nuance and ALL the minutiae (trivial details) of finance laws to be adequately "armed" to protect our hard-earned investment dollars 24-7 ????? THAT'S why we need stronger financial regulations .............. N-O-T weaker ones.

Does anyone here REALLY want weak, watered-down laws / regulations, or elimination of existing laws / and de-funding agencies charged with policing the movements of trillions of O-U-R investment dollars???

That seems VERY counter-productive to me. Watch who does / proposes what.

Lots of people learn about investing. I think your 401k is pretty safe. There’s always underneath the mattress. I know people I have worked with that stuffed money in jars in the back yard and hid more money than you would think anywhere they could find around the house. The biggest risk they ever too was to put some money in a CD at the bank. They retired, they’re doing ok. It’s all about how much risk you want to take. There are options.

Last edited:
As regards my post #542 - My point was and is - REGULATIONS ARE NECESSARY in the financial industry. Deregulation, eliminating funding and staff to the agencies tasked with policing the financial industry are like taking out the security systems in banks. It's only a matter of time before EVERYONE'S money is gone .............. by snake-oil sales pitches, "great investment advice", or hidden fine-print loopholes carefully placed like landmines to take advantage of the unschooled or unwary. Who among us has the time or resources to devote to learning every fine-print nuance and ALL the minutiae (trivial details) of finance laws to be adequately "armed" to protect our hard-earned investment dollars 24-7 ????? THAT'S why we need stronger financial regulations .............. N-O-T weaker ones.

Does anyone here REALLY want weak, watered-down laws / regulations, or elimination of existing laws / and de-funding agencies charged with policing the movements of trillions of O-U-R investment dollars???

That seems VERY counter-productive to me. Watch who does / proposes what.
We will be watching for nothing. Both sides are in on the game. 4 of them got caught selling on knowledge this virus was coming before we new about it, nothing happened. Nancy just bought over a million dollars in tesla before Joe signed order for government fleet to go Electric, nothing will happen. I would bet most in congress are part of a hedge fund. Pocohanis of all people doesn’t want to side with the people that she is always saying she is looking out for, thinks limits should be put on our ability to buy stocks. It was all fun and games until a few hedge guys got put over the barrel. They will all talk but nothing will get done. Don’t forget the majority of the wall st guys donations went to good old uncle Joe. One rule on making short selling 100% transparent in real time would give all of us a level playing field. I am trying to play this game and make what I can make. 8k in AMC, helping the cause but I won’t get caught holding the bag.

At this point in my life around four five years until retirement my Fidelity 401K is in the stock market in a 2030 or 2035 plan, at 59 1/2 I'm rolling mine into my banks retirement plan for them to spread around in high interest savings accounts and CD's. No mutual funds/stock market or risk. I don't care if I really make any interest off it during retirement I just don't want any of it to be lost, it's plenty high for me to live fine the rest of my life or until I'm to old to travel or care, if I live that long. If it all runs out the day I die...PERFECT!
If I am still working much past 59 1/2 I'll still keep putting into the company 401K at least to get the match.... 62 is my goal to be done working.
My personal retirement plan goal was to have everything paid for zero payments on anything and X amount in 401K and pension to retire and I passed that years ago.
I'm going going to see the world, spoil grandkids and train a few hunting dogs with no worries in the world....hopefully.

Free trades have caused much of the problem. It used to be $5-9 dollars per trade .

At this point in my life around four five years until retirement my Fidelity 401K is in the stock market in a 2030 or 2035 plan, at 59 1/2 I'm rolling mine into my banks retirement plan for them to spread around in high interest savings accounts and CD's. No mutual funds/stock market or risk. I don't care if I really make any interest off it during retirement I just don't want any of it to be lost, it's plenty high for me to live fine the rest of my life or until I'm to old to travel or care, if I live that long. If it all runs out the day I die...PERFECT!
If I am still working much past 59 1/2 I'll still keep putting into the company 401K at least to get the match.... 62 is my goal to be done working.
My personal retirement plan goal was to have everything paid for zero payments on anything and X amount in 401K and pension to retire and I passed that years ago.
I'm going going to see the world, spoil grandkids and train a few hunting dogs with no worries in the world....hopefully.

I think the problem is that we tend to think of things in terms of money. As we move into retirement, we need to think in terms of "buying power". There are two risks in retirement. One is losing money by investing too aggressively. The other is investing too conservatively and outliving your money. How much we start with and how long we live are big factors.

Thanks,

Jack

I think the problem is that we tend to think of things in terms of money. As we move into retirement, we need to think in terms of "buying power". There are two risks in retirement. One is losing money by investing too aggressively. The other is investing too conservatively and outliving your money. How much we start with and how long we live are big factors.

Thanks,

Jack

Good points
Which brings into question; How much is enough to retire the way you want?

1M?
2M?
5M ?

Do you want to live off the interest or live off the actual money saved?
How long do you really think you will live? And after a certain age what can/could you even spend it on?
Is leaving a bunch of money to family in your plan?