All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Market is the bottom in?

Or maybe we can shut the factory down after offshoring all production and lose all the jobs. Then pay more for the same product after slapping one of Trumps tariffs on.

If we were smart we'd find a way to make those robots in this country.
We try to work with local companies for our automation ideas as much as possible. While some components may come from overseas, I'd say at least half of our equipment was manufactured in the US.

Automation is expensive, especially now that capital is more expensive than it has been for the last few decades. Companies automate because they can't find people to do the work. If automation were cheap, everyone would have done it already. We need some degree of automation if we want to have manufacturing in the US.
A good portion of the automation that was implemented where I used to work was to prevent injuries. Ergonomics and repetitive motion injuries were/are very expensive to treat. I attended a class for ergonomics in the work place that was put on by a rep. from a insurance company. The way they wanted work stations layed out was totally ridiculous. If a person applied the ideas and methods in your everyday life you wouldn't be allowed to tie your shoes.

We try to work with local companies for our automation ideas as much as possible. While some components may come from overseas, I'd say at least half of our equipment was manufactured in the US.
The company I worked at did the same. The problem is that the most costly, and important, component of the automation came from a Asian country. Now I'm sure we could manufacture those components right here in the USA but we would more than likely still be using Asian machines to do the CNC machining.

As smart and industrious as we are in this country why haven't we been making CNC machining centers and robots here for decades. AMC in Kenosha, WI was using robots in the 80's to assemble cars. They went belly up in 1988.

I know in my own business we are having to try to implement automation anywhere we can because we can't find any people that are willing to do manual labor. Huge cost upfront for the automation but eventually it pays for itself and then becomes profitable but that certainly won't happen over night. From that perspective the people not willing to work are pretty much forcing us to become automated to keep putting out product. American workers cost a lot and keep costing more every year. Machines are an initial investment and a lot less headaches. We've been struggling to find workers before covid was ever even thought of. Have to keep the manufacturing costs as low as possible to make enough profit to keep the lights on and the doors open. That's just the world that I am currently living in. Don't see things turning around any time soon.
Respectfully, Jsasker007 -

That may apply to your particular business, but it's not the case for millions of American workers who are currently working at their jobs - and have been for years. They're going to lose their jobs through no fault of their own, despite their dedication to their companies. When all of a sudden, thousands start to get laid off / fired, they can't "re-train / re-tool" for a different line of work overnight. Even programmers who write computer code are going to be terminated by AI, so what field of endeavor should the millions of people who will lose their jobs train for that pays a decent living wage??? Even the most ambitious person can't train for another skill set quickly. Most professions that pay decently require several years of education, so in the meantime, who pays their daily / weekly / monthly bills??? With self check-outs increasing in stores, robotic waiters, automated manufacturing (increasing even more), self-driving vehicles (once they work all the bugs out), robotic investment "counselors", automated voice prompts everywhere these days (you can't talk to a live human being anymore), etc. - those jobs didn't go unfilled by so-called "lazy " Americans. They were turned off like you turn off a light switch. Gone. And now, the business community is openly stating that millions and millions of jobs will disappear because of AI. I read loads of financial & investment info every day (and have been since I was a senior in HS), so I'm not pulling these statements out of thin air. The WSJ, Fortune, Investors Business Daily (IBD), Barrons, Markets Insider, Kiplinger, Forbes, and many other financial publications trumpet the blossoming of AI into more & more places. When those info sources say that millions & millions of jobs will be lost ....... believe it. They don't even try to hide that fact anymore.

I have nothing against you or any other person on here. I just wonder where all those millions of currently-working folks are going to go to earn a decent living for themselves and their families. I wonder about all those men & women who studied hard at college to learn the latest technologies - and racking up huge college debt in the process - only to have the rugs pulled out from under them suddenly due to AI. How will they pay off their college debt (hard enough to do even at a higher-paying job) when they're forced out of their well-paying jobs?? If the skills you have acquired are suddenly no longer needed, how does anyone pick up the reins the next day and never miss a financial beat?? How rapidly will so many people be expected to change course in their lives - and how will new training be paid for?? If people have a nest-egg saved up for retirement - and now must use that money to pay for more college / training, how will they be expected to retire with no financial "drain" on the system?? Many folks don't want retirees to be counting on government help to help them survive - so how do people who've been displaced earn & keep saving for their own retirement years when many of the better-paying jobs are being eliminated??

For those who tell younger folks to "just get a second or third job" - who then cares for their kids ....... when talking heads are yapping that kids aren't being "parented" as they should be?? Absentee parents working 2 or 3 jobs ....... how does anyone "parent" their kids doing that?? Many of those types of jobs are low-paying, part-time, with no benefits. The math does not add up to success - no matter how ambitious or hard-working one might be.

Here's a thought for everyone - will those machines, computers, AI processors, robots be buying any of your products and / or services?? Will they buy homes?? Food?? Vehicles?? Insurance or investment products?? The more humans are put out of work - the worse it's going to get. There are NO easy, quick answers to numerous complex problems.

No animosity or anger here, Jsasker. I wish you a good day, friend!!

That may apply to your particular business, but it's not the case for millions of American workers who are currently working at their jobs - and have been for years. They're going to lose their jobs through no fault of their own, despite their dedication to their companies. When all of a sudden, thousands start to get laid off / fired, they can't "re-train / re-tool" for a different line of work overnight. Even programmers who write computer code are going to be terminated by AI, so what field of endeavor should the millions of people who will lose their jobs train for that pays a decent living wage??? Even the most ambitious person can't train for another skill set quickly. Most professions that pay decently require several years of education, so in the meantime, who pays their daily / weekly / monthly bills??? With self check-outs increasing in stores, robotic waiters, automated manufacturing (increasing even more), self-driving vehicles (once they work all the bugs out), robotic investment "counselors", automated voice prompts everywhere these days (you can't talk to a live human being anymore), etc. - those jobs didn't go unfilled by so-called "lazy " Americans. They were turned off like you turn off a light switch. Gone. And now, the business community is openly stating that millions and millions of jobs will disappear because of AI. I read loads of financial & investment info every day (and have been since I was a senior in HS), so I'm not pulling these statements out of thin air. The WSJ, Fortune, Investors Business Daily (IBD), Barrons, Markets Insider, Kiplinger, Forbes, and many other financial publications trumpet the blossoming of AI into more & more places. When those info sources say that millions & millions of jobs will be lost ....... believe it. They don't even try to hide that fact anymore.

I have nothing against you or any other person on here. I just wonder where all those millions of currently-working folks are going to go to earn a decent living for themselves and their families. I wonder about all those men & women who studied hard at college to learn the latest technologies - and racking up huge college debt in the process - only to have the rugs pulled out from under them suddenly due to AI. How will they pay off their college debt (hard enough to do even at a higher-paying job) when they're forced out of their well-paying jobs?? If the skills you have acquired are suddenly no longer needed, how does anyone pick up the reins the next day and never miss a financial beat?? How rapidly will so many people be expected to change course in their lives - and how will new training be paid for?? If people have a nest-egg saved up for retirement - and now must use that money to pay for more college / training, how will they be expected to retire with no financial "drain" on the system?? Many folks don't want retirees to be counting on government help to help them survive - so how do people who've been displaced earn & keep saving for their own retirement years when many of the better-paying jobs are being eliminated??

For those who tell younger folks to "just get a second or third job" - who then cares for their kids ....... when talking heads are yapping that kids aren't being "parented" as they should be?? Absentee parents working 2 or 3 jobs ....... how does anyone "parent" their kids doing that?? Many of those types of jobs are low-paying, part-time, with no benefits. The math does not add up to success - no matter how ambitious or hard-working one might be.

Here's a thought for everyone - will those machines, computers, AI processors, robots be buying any of your products and / or services?? Will they buy homes?? Food?? Vehicles?? Insurance or investment products?? The more humans are put out of work - the worse it's going to get. There are NO easy, quick answers to numerous complex problems.

No problem. Wasn't calling anyone out or anything, just stating what we have to do to get the work done in our business. Metal fabrication and we make grain handling components for another company. No offense taken

_

You worry way too much about this stuff. Just keep voting Democrat and the Government promises to take care of you. Problem solved. I’m pretty sure here in NY 40% of the people don’t work anyway, what’s a few more.

_

You worry way too much about this stuff. Just keep voting Democrat and the Government promises to take care of you. Problem solved. I’m pretty sure here in NY 40% of the people don’t work anyway, what’s a few more.
I think location does play a big part. Government dependence is a real problem where I'm at and it shows. I don't hate the players but the game sucks. Perfectly healthy and able bodied people that choose not to work and get rewarded by the government is something that I'll never be ok with. People that need help is another story. Hopefully karma catches up with the scammers and criminals. There will be some jobs created for automation where no job existed before also. If we replace living people with expendable droids to fight our wars instead of losing lives it would be great.

I think location does play a big part. Government dependence is a real problem where I'm at and it shows. I don't hate the players but the game sucks. Perfectly healthy and able bodied people that choose not to work and get rewarded by the government is something that I'll never be ok with. People that need help is another story. Hopefully karma catches up with the scammers and criminals. There will be some jobs created for automation where no job existed before also. If we replace living people with expendable droids to fight our wars instead of losing lives it would be great.
That's not going to go on a whole lot longer. That group is gonna get quietly removed from the landscape. Brazil is a great example or where containment and eradication is going. You cannot get your handouts unless you line up and submit to all government injections. I don't think the Davos pedos have any visions of making the world a free resort for 8 billion people to loaf, breed, consume, pollute, and get in their way. They shout their desires to kill everyone from the rooftop all day every day.

I'm waiting for it to drop some more so I can buy a bunch.

Tesla owns 300 million $$ worth of Bitcoin which could be good or bad ? Depends on where it goes!

Tesla owns 300 million $$ worth of Bitcoin which could be good or bad ? Depends on where it goes!
Elon's allowance for the week.

I am a skeered to buy unless it gets to $90?

There'll be millions more Americans being laid off or fired once AI gets into full swing. Even the business community as a whole is proud to say it outright. It's not even being kept as a secret ---- so everyone buckle up. Hope you're all filthy rich already, because the business community is about to stick another one right up American workers' behinds. Then - come election time, they'll be waving their red, white, and blue banners cheering for the good old U.S.A., so people vote for who they (Chamber of Commerce) want in elected positions.

BTW - Who's been pushing to have AI replace American workers???? Answer - The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and all its members. How do I know this?? Because I read tons of business and investment info every day. Truth and facts are tough to swallow.
Whining employees have become WAY to expensive the past two years. I cant blame industries for replacing them with AI for certain positions.

Whining employees have become WAY to expensive the past two years. I cant blame industries for replacing them with AI for certain positions.
I am too long retired to have been into very many modern / automated manufacturing plants recently. But even 25 years ago there were many manufacturing plants that were running 24/7/365 with automated manufacturing. I know of several plastics plants that could "run in the dark" with nobody present at night. If a tool were to break the machine would call somebody and shut itself down. No health care, vacations, bathrooms, lunch breaks - no back talk.....just productivity. I was in some lower tech plants last year......and even those have lots of technology running the show. Most work seems for programmers and set-up personal.

Last edited:

Closing the boarder ( and all immigration for that matter ) and deporting the illegals would be a good start.

Closing the boarder ( and all immigration for that matter ) and deporting the illegals would be a good start.
Amen! ILLEGAL ALIENS=it's right there in the label, ILLEGAL. Absolutely defies logic, not to mention it's NOT legal. Gonna go bang my head on the wall for awhile.

I'm waiting for it to drop some more so I can buy a bunch.

I hope it just keeps dropping for the next few weeks. I might even borrow some money to buy more puts. We'll see what next week brings, but it's looking grim for Tesla for the moment. I don't think he can talk his way out of this one.

I also switched my Norwegian pension account from the Indian market to the Norwegian market due to the apparent trends. I've made a few percentage points on the Norwegian side and avoided about a percent loss on the Indian side in the last few weeks, so I'm up about 5% for the month. I'm eyeballing both markets to see when I should make my next move there.

Overall this has been my best month in trading/investing ever. I'm really proud of myself for calling that drop in Tesla, if I'm being honest. I got all tingly when I checked the graph this afternoon.

We need immigration. We're a nation of immigrants, and that will never change. The best thing we can do is keep our economy the best in the world so we can choose the immigrants we receive.

Edit to clarify: Illegal immigration should be halted, and illegal immigrants should be deported. But we cannot stop allowing immigrants into the US. We need about a million per year. Luckily our closest neighbors have a culture similar to ours. Europe is having a big problem due to its proximity to the Middle East and Africa.

We need immigration. We're a nation of immigrants, and that will never change. The best thing we can do is keep our economy the best in the world so we can choose the immigrants we receive.

Edit to clarify: Illegal immigration should be halted, and illegal immigrants should be deported. But we cannot stop allowing immigrants into the US. We need about a million per year. Luckily our closest neighbors have a culture similar to ours. Europe is having a big problem due to its proximity to the Middle East and Africa.
Here is a novel idea. Stop spewing the climate change agenda and encourage Americans to start having larger families again just like it was done in the past when this country actually was a great nation. A gen 2 baby boomer agenda is what should be pushed. ( To working 2 parent households that is )