All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Market is the bottom in?

For sure! At the time I was barely able to afford something that cheap. Start with hardly anything and try to improve from there. I don't know how the young people today are supposed to make it when starting out.
I did a lot of the inside finishing work myself, plus all the landscaping of our property. I did all of the drywall prep, painting, staining of the woodwork, hanging doors & installing it all. I upgraded things like carpet (in style at that time!), cabinets, lighting & other fixtures, etc. It helps to have some skills (and a pick-up truck) when it comes to construction - saves big money by doing it yourself. Many of today's younger generation don't have hands-on skills when it comes to ANY amount of construction work. Many don't even know the basics of painting. Hard to get a solid start when you have to PAY for every aspect of your home being built. Land only gets more expensive. An acre of decent, level-ish land around where we live is about 80K+ these days ------ no house. We paid a tad over 70K for our newly-built house (dried-in) & land back in the mid-1980's!!! Homes right around us are selling today for around $350K. People's pay CERTAINLY hasn't kept up with the costs of living - even if one has significant skill sets.

Can’t go wrong with Apple 🍎! It’s just a winner !
It'll be interesting to see how their new stuff goes. I heard on a podcast that their VR headset is retailing at something like $3,400. Kids are suckers for that stuff, but that's a steep price for a new gadget.

i think I'm just gonna roll with index funds and shut up... I'm not informed enough to make a difference
You can put the bulk of your money in index funds for ease, less expense, and stability over the long haul. But you (anyone) can still put some smaller amounts into sectors that may up your return (like tech funds) to jazz-up your portfolio. Some IT / growth index funds are up around 30% to 40% this year - Vanguard has such an index fund for CHEAP expense ratio.

SiriusXM dropped to $3.45 and now is over $6 in a span of a month !!

🍺👊🏼

It hit high $7s today !

Last edited:
Looks like DWAC is finally going to take off. Don't know a lot about it but there was obvious market manipulation going on to keep the price suppressed. Haven't heard what happened but it's on a roll......

I'm still sticking with energy and short term bonds while we wait to see what happens next. I did add more RUM and EPD recently. While I was away digging, the energy stocks bumped up nicely. EPD goes ex-div this week, and they bumped the payout to 50 cents/share. I had a batch of bonds mature this week, so I've got to roll them forward in next week's 6-mo auction. Gonna be decent to roll that batch at 5.5% or better. What just matured was at 4.8%.

1690381574340.png

I'm still sticking with energy and short term bonds while we wait to see what happens next. I did add more RUM and EPD recently. While I was away digging, the energy stocks bumped up nicely. EPD goes ex-div this week, and they bumped the payout to 50 cents/share. I had a batch of bonds mature this week, so I've got to roll them forward in next week's 6-mo auction. Gonna be decent to roll that batch at 5.5% or better. What just matured was at 4.8%.

View attachment 55068
I’ve been liking the USFR etf for treasury exposure. Any thoughts from you?

I’ve been liking the USFR etf for treasury exposure. Any thoughts from you?
That's the best looking short term treasuries ETF I've ever seen.

Right now, their distribution equates to a 5.36% yield, and that's after having to give up 0.15% in mgmt fees. It also looks like it's appropriately priced each day that it rises over the month and then the price falls equal to their monthly distribution. That's definitely a simple way to do it. You're likely doing better than me because I'm still sitting on 6-mo bonds that were priced at lower yields cause I bought them a few months ago, and they won't mature for another few months.

There's also about zero risk to those bonds because they keep rolling forward a portfolio of 3-month treasuries. I'm rolling a portfolio of 6-month treasuries. You're going to outperform while bond rates keep rising because your stuff will roll over to the new higher yields faster than mine. When the fed turns and rates start going down, the 6-months are gonna hold longer simply because their duration is longer. The spread between the 3 and 6 is very small.

1690430448754.png

These are the different maturities I'm sitting on right now. Those September treasuries I've got are only turning out 5.15%. That January batch is yielding 5.46%.

1690430696086.png

That's the best looking short term treasuries ETF I've ever seen.

Right now, their distribution equates to a 5.36% yield, and that's after having to give up 0.15% in mgmt fees. It also looks like it's appropriately priced each day that it rises over the month and then the price falls equal to their monthly distribution. That's definitely a simple way to do it. You're likely doing better than me because I'm still sitting on 6-mo bonds that were priced at lower yields cause I bought them a few months ago, and they won't mature for another few months.

There's also about zero risk to those bonds because they keep rolling forward a portfolio of 3-month treasuries. I'm rolling a portfolio of 6-month treasuries. You're going to outperform while bond rates keep rising because your stuff will roll over to the new higher yields faster than mine. When the fed turns and rates start going down, the 6-months are gonna hold longer simply because their duration is longer. The spread between the 3 and 6 is very small.

View attachment 55137

These are the different maturities I'm sitting on right now. Those September treasuries I've got are only turning out 5.15%. That January batch is yielding 5.46%.

View attachment 55138
Thanks, boss. I had observed some of those advantages you pointed out but I learned a few more things from reading this feedback.

Thanks, boss. I had observed some of those advantages you pointed out but I learned a few more things from reading this feedback.
You definitely hit a homerun with that one. Thanks for sharing.

This just came across my one of my news sites. Gonna check it out. "hot stock" tip? Dunno. Sounds interesting.

I actually went in and bought some of that this morning. I was waiting for Monday's 6-mo auction to open tomorrow for orders. I had taken a detour to pick up a quick hand in SNAP puts yesterday. I just closed that this morning for a quick few cases of Modelo and then moved that cash over to USFR.

I actually went in and bought some of that this morning. I was waiting for Monday's 6-mo auction to open tomorrow for orders. I had taken a detour to pick up a quick hand in SNAP puts yesterday. I just closed that this morning for a quick few cases of Modelo and then moved that cash over to USFR.
^That is what the world needs.......an investment that pays it's dividend in BEER! lol. The gift that keeps on giving.

^That is what the world needs.......an investment that pays it's dividend in BEER! lol. The gift that keeps on giving.
That's a good idea. Here's the Modelo (STZ) vs Bud Light (BUD) 3 month chart. And Modelo does pay a small dividend, but good history of raising it by a good amount each year. 31 percentage point split in performance since the tuck campaign went live.

1690495071482.png

US credit rating downgraded how much longer before the Venezuelan chickens come home to roost here in the US. Clearly the banana republic politics we are living through are about to become a real problem for real people.

We could balance the budget in no time if we could get a handle on all the captive government agencies. NATO alone is 2/3 of the deficit, a money laundering scheme 20+ times more expensive than the Russian military and NATO still ran out of ammo and guns before Russia. The greedy psychos in charge of war and draining the wealth of the nation are well on their way to destroying the whole damn thing. So long as there is weed, internet, and doritos, nobody is going to care to do anything about it.