Stock Market is the bottom in?

Tesla is on a hell of a rip! INTC is on sale after the panic crowd didn't like the earnings.
I took a few fists to the pills on INTC and MMM this quarter. It could have been worse, so I'm not too beat up about it. All in, I did gain a few points through earnings week, so there's that.

Hey, at least you weren't in BBBY when that unravelled. Decent dividends are what I'm looking for lately. GNK has been good to me so far.

How about that sweet techie-Nasdaq-ie today; warms the cockles of one's heart ...... and any other body part you choose

How about that sweet techie-Nasdaq-ie today; warms the cockles of one's heart ...... and any other body part you choose
Is it time to switch from a value index to S&P? May still be a bit early...

Freaking apple and ford missed……..

Arrrrrrgh…….should’ve sold more prior to report

but I didn’t cuz I ig nant!

This past couple weeks has been a ton of upheaval that resulted in not much changing overall in my group. I took a little swipe at SNAP the morning after they reported. Capped that too early and left a bunch of money on the table. MMM is starting to claw it's way back. Energy just gave up all of last week's gains. Lots of whoop-dee-do to go nowhere.

This pony is fast out of the gate, historically a good finisher, and, hopefully, on a start for a very good year.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/st...for-best-start-to-year-since-1975-Y8EFFFuxced Nasdaq up 16% to date

Tech stocks have outperformed in 2023, buoyed by recent signals of cooling inflation that investors expect could lead to a pause from the Federal Reserve in its aggressive rate hiking campaign. The S&P 500 information technology sector is up more than 14% this year after a decline of more than 28% last year.

Same sectors that accounted for most of the run up over the last 10 + years.

Motley Fool says .....

History Says the S&P 500 Could Soar in 2023 -- 1 Surefire Index Fund to Buy Now and Hold Forever​

By Trevor Jennewine – Jan 31, 2023 at 7:00AM

Last edited:
This pony is fast out of the gate, historically a good finisher, and, hopefully, on a start for a very good year.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/st...for-best-start-to-year-since-1975-Y8EFFFuxced Nasdaq up 16% to date

Tech stocks have outperformed in 2023, buoyed by recent signals of cooling inflation that investors expect could lead to a pause from the Federal Reserve in its aggressive rate hiking campaign. The S&P 500 information technology sector is up more than 14% this year after a decline of more than 28% last year.

Same sectors that accounted for most of the run up over the last 10 + years.

Motley Fool says .....

History Says the S&P 500 Could Soar in 2023 -- 1 Surefire Index Fund to Buy Now and Hold Forever​

By Trevor Jennewine – Jan 31, 2023 at 7:00AM
Oh my. Run from anything the Motley Fool puts out. Delete the bookmark and never go there again.

I used to pay for their newsletters, and those guys couldn't pick a winner when the fed was giving away free money.

I would agree completely; I have nothing to do with them ... I suspect they are mimicking what they hear from other prognosticators.
However, even though I believe I am a little more risk willing than most folks; consequently, don't use 500 Index .... it clearly is a useful vehicle for investors who don't have the time or inclination to study the market.

Eoddata.com has been helpful to look at whatever you want in the different markets.

We're in full on bizarro world now. Today's jobs report from the mockingbird press:

1675451327401.png

Here's why you need to be told you're prospering:

1675451494435.png

SSDD---Being force fed lies by the government on a daily basis is getting really old.

Cramer was right……..

unreal……Cramer said during bull markets…..not hitting the analysts numbers and the stock still goes up!

Apple did it !!!

Ford ….not so much!

I think EMOR is a long shot for HUGE!

YUGE! Rewards.

they claim they can dehumidifier the atmosphere and get potable water!

they claim 750,000,000 in orders?

I threw about $400 at the 17 cent stock today.

Last edited:
DSX is a $4 shipping stock with a 17% dividend---just sayin

don't use 500 Index .... it clearly is a useful vehicle for investors who don't have the time or inclination to study the market.
Despite Buffet saying publicly that the Vanguard S & P 500 index is where all his family's fortune is going?? Buffet has recommended a low cost index fund for most investors for a number of years. MOST people don't want to spend their lives studying charts - even IF they knew what they were looking at. They want to have a life. Lots of study has been done by Nobel laureates and other top financial pros that show that over time, the index averages beat out the vast majority of fund managers and traders. I had a few funds that RARELY beat the index averages, (and at higher expense ratios), so I moved out of them into a couple indexes (for MUCH LOWER expense ratios) and have made out better.

This is NOT a poke at you, OakSeeds!! Just recalling what Buffet has said. Anyone who wants to study & watch day-in and day-out can do so.

No poke taken; however point of clarification seems in order. In parsing out my comments in post 2850 above, you make it seem like I said "don't use 500 index" (I said I don't use the 500 index) ... I also stated it was appropriate for folks like you who declare they don't have the time or inclination to follow the market very closely.

Some posts on this thread in the past have stated/argued that the S&P 500 index funds beat actively managed funds 9 out of 10 times. In an attempt to help others who may not be aware of aspects of the common belief (the professed overwhelming superiority of index funds), I'll use your friend Buffet and his web site to inform our friends and dispel a myth.

https://investor.vanguard.com/inves...s-vs-actively-managed-funds#modal-performance

If one scrolls down to the section "Compare index and active management," the 3rd topic RISK describes the "Active Management Performance History" Buffet says ....
"Over the past 15 years, only about 37% of active stock fund managers and 19% of active bond fund managers have outperformed their designated benchmarks.*
As Bucky pointed out many posts ago, index funds may not be as effective as they once were since they have - in the more recent past - loaded up on tech funds (the FAANG group) yet retaining some slugs that impede performance.

Almost 4 out of 10 active manager wins/superiority means there are quite a few funds out there that get it right! And this is NO poke at you BNB 😉

Despite Buffet saying publicly that the Vanguard S & P 500 index is where all his family's fortune is going?? Buffet has recommended a low cost index fund for most investors for a number of years. MOST people don't want to spend their lives studying charts - even IF they knew what they were looking at. They want to have a life. Lots of study has been done by Nobel laureates and other top financial pros that show that over time, the index averages beat out the vast majority of fund managers and traders. I had a few funds that RARELY beat the index averages, (and at higher expense ratios), so I moved out of them into a couple indexes (for MUCH LOWER expense ratios) and have made out better.

This is NOT a poke at you, OakSeeds!! Just recalling what Buffet has said. Anyone who wants to study & watch day-in and day-out can do so.

The only managed funds i have are in Norway in my pension account , and they generally perform 5 to 7 points below the actual market index. Some of these are even called index funds. I tend to agree that Vamguard's S&P index fund is a good investment.

No poke taken; however point of clarification seems in order. In parsing out my comments in post 2850 above, you make it seem like I said "don't use 500 index" (I said I don't use the 500 index) ... I also stated it was appropriate for folks like you who declare they don't have the time or inclination to follow the market very closely.

Some posts on this thread in the past have stated/argued that the S&P 500 index funds beat actively managed funds 9 out of 10 times. In an attempt to help others who may not be aware of aspects of the common belief (the professed overwhelming superiority of index funds), I'll use your friend Buffet and his web site to inform our friends and dispel a myth.

https://investor.vanguard.com/inves...s-vs-actively-managed-funds#modal-performance

If one scrolls down to the section "Compare index and active management," the 3rd topic RISK describes the "Active Management Performance History" Buffet says ....
"Over the past 15 years, only about 37% of active stock fund managers and 19% of active bond fund managers have outperformed their designated benchmarks.*
As Bucky pointed out many posts ago, index funds may not be as effective as they once were since they have - in the more recent past - loaded up on tech funds (the FAANG group) yet retaining some slugs that impede performance.

Almost 4 out of 10 active manager wins/superiority means there are quite a few funds out there that get it right! And this is NO poke at you BNB 😉
I misunderstood what you meant, OakSeeds, concerning your, "I don't use the 500 Index" clarification. I read it like you made a blanket statement, "Don't use the 500 Index." Clear now.

Clearly some actively managed funds beat the indexes ......... but NOT on a consistent basis. I've owned funds that beat the indexes for a couple years, but then SUCKED hind T#T for another 5 to 7 years. I went with the advice of a number of well-known, highly regarded pros who showed years of returns and the numbers were on the side of indexes. AND - their expense ratios are much lower than actively managed funds. To me - .03 or .04 expense ratios are better than .55, .72, .93, or 1.4%. The number differences may seem small, but over time - they add up to possibly BIG amounts of money out of your pocket. I'll trade a couple years of higher actively-managed fund returns, for the long-term lower expenses and numerous years of beating actively-managed funds. To each - their own decision.

On a side note ....... all actively-managed funds lose their managers at some point, to retirement, death, or going elsewhere. Some of the highest-flying funds sunk after their managers left. I don't have that worry with index funds. They're usually run by teams of managers and / or an algorithm.

Had lunch with our banker yesterday. He is pretty astute and connected with the financial markets. He said he believes that we will see 10% prime by the year end. This is being driven by a couple of things... The Fed is concerned that Wall Street is acting like nothing is wrong. Material supply chains still have not recovered and even though real estate has been slowed, too much demand still exists everywhere. Most companies are paying unsustainable premium wages for employees and cost of labor on balance sheets is too high.

The most interesting comment he made is that inflation & employment have an inverse relationship. When employment is high, inflation is low, and when unemployment is high, inflation is low. The belief is that the Fed will continue to push higher prime rate increases in an effort to increase unemployment. Raising interest rates even further will have a wide ranging effect on the economy and unemployment. . Right now the tech industry is the leader in starting lay-offs.

I remember Greenspan using the term "Irrational exuberance" back in the 1990s. Wonder if today's Fed is sensing that ... will be an interesting 2023.