All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Market is the bottom in?

I keep wondering why any of you have a day job with all this market savey ... :emoji_slight_smile:

I keep wondering why any of you have a day job with all this market savey ... :emoji_slight_smile:

wish I was. I almost bought Raytheon at $63 on Friday. Kinda hoped today would knock them to $60. Didn’t happen, came out of the hole climbing and closed at 68. I personally believe there is still upside for a company who’s main customer is the government but I liked them better at $60 than at $70......

I have a day job to keep me humble.

I don't like paying taxes. Keeps things a lot easier if you don't make any money. Who needs nice things, like new t-shirts?

I don't like paying taxes. Keeps things a lot easier if you don't make any money. Who needs nice things, like new t-shirts?

I haven’t made very much money in quite a while. And on paper, all my losses that offset gains are perfectly legal. Something just tells me all the rules I’m using are being used by those who made the rules. :emoji_thinking:

I got lucky this year. You know the saying:

"... better to be lucky, than good."​

I had a scary feeling about the market this year for two reasons (it being an election year AND it being 7 years since the last dip at which point I took a 17% hit). At the end of 2019, I hit "a financial dollar amount" that I wanted to hit in my 401K, so I had moved half of my $$ into a bond fund. As we all saw, a major hit this year, I was watching some of the investment options that I have in my retirement account. I got back in with that $$ that was protected in the bond fund when some of the more lucrative funds choices that I have were a close to a 50% loss - close to the bottom (I missed one of them by a week).

Right now, based on those moves, I'm doing great. I am "out of the ditch" and hitting great numbers and we're not even near recovery. My goal is to retire early (at 55) so this really sealed the deal if things continue in patters like they have done in the past 20 years.

BUT I've got 2 things worrying me:

1. This year's election could cause complete mayhem - it's entirely possible! I am hoping to hit my 7 year multiplier prior to November (On average my retirement increases by a multiplier of 3.98 every 7 years) and protect some $$ again. I may end up losing a little but the uncertainty of the direction the country will go after this election will likely be worth the loss.
  2. The next seven year dip will be the year that I want to retire (which means I might have to play these same odds and protect half in 2026, to come out in another big way).

Paying taxes, while distasteful, means you have made money or been profitable. It's better than the alternative

Somehow we have to get the money to invest. I can't do intraday trading.

But stocks are just a part of a diversified portfolio. It's pretty much all math. You save money and invest it in things that are likely to give you a good return. And you spread it all out so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Logged into my SEP IRA account this morning. I cant believe how far it is up. I have 100% of the portfolio in the market and nothing in bonds. Best performers are Amazon and Apple which have more than double since we bought them. Worst is BP. When China virus hit I did nothing with my portfolio and didnt look cause I figured I am in this for the long haul. If I tried to time it I am afraid I would get killed. I made my 2019 and 2020 contribution about 3 weeks before the market tanked this winter. If only I had been a senator I would have known better.

I’m heavy Apple (like Warren B) partly because it’s gone up so much. Not selling any shares. Pays a dividend as well.

It’s been a home run!

I’m heavy Apple (like Warren B) partly because it’s gone up so much. Not selling any shares. Pays a dividend as well.

It’s been a home run!
Earnings season kicks off this week and will be in full swing next week. This is the most nervous I've been about a reporting period. We're gonna find out where the stimulus money went, and we'll find out what kind of shape the un-chosen companies are in. I almost feel like a guy should buy some cheap puts and calls on the indexes to protect himself. What puzzles me is if the valuations in winning retail (Home Depot, Tractor Supply) will hold as if there'll be 12 trillion new dollars injected into the economy every quarter to keep these prices going.

Every time I've bet against the fed I've lost. So I've quit doing that.

I keep waiting for a correction but haven’t gotten one. I don’t believe there is a bubble as some like report but I do think we should have turned down some.

The market has ignored a lot of things lately. Dollars pulled from thin air, Fires, murders, looters, political uncertainty, crazy unemployment, everyone’s $1200 is spent, PPP is running out of cash and the dreaded Kung flu persists. On TV anyway.

Under normal circumstances things would have went south and my cash on the side would have went to work...

The whole market is hanging on the tech rocket. So long as there are new buyers with new money, this meteoric rise should continue. Or not.
bubble.PNG

The rest of the market without them has been a giant turd sandwich.
rest.PNG

Pfizer anyone? Gov just spent 2 Billion on rona vaccine.

I got a piece of it, and not the $32 bottom, but yes. Pfizer is a decent company to park cash in when there aren't any other deals to be had.

I have some shares, wish I had more, has a nice dividend as well.

i'm still hanging out with my travel companies. Carnival cruise, jet blue, etc They're up 50% since I got in, but have pretty much flattened out over the last 2 weeks.

I am waiting on the m to get back to 70% of their high and then i'll make enough to go buy myself the LARGE blizzard at dairy queen

Just got my 401k statement. Up 8.4% year to date which I thought was great. Hopefully that helps Trump win if people have growth going into the election. I am maxed out for the year so all the chickens are working from here on out.

Apple split anyone? I wish that was MSFT been buying that since 2009.