Steel Flat roof on hunting shack

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Anyone have steel flat roofs on there hunting shacks that don't leak? It would be so much easier to build a flat roof than an angled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you would need is a couple inch pitch in 8', shouldn't be to tough to raise the steel that much.

A little pitch would help. And plywood under it doesn't hurt either. I've got one with just steel. When the local squirrel jumps on it, it gives me a heart attack. Every time!

You really should have some pitch. Like MO said it wouldn't take much to do it. After all were not talking a roof like a house has. It's just raising one side of a flat roof up higher than the other by a couple of inch's.

Build your roof flat, cover with rolled roofing, install dutchmans as noted, screw on tin! Done!

flat roof.PNG

Pitch it and forget it.

Anyone have steel flat roofs on there hunting shacks that don't leak? It would be so much easier to build a flat roof than an angled.

Not possible ... why do you think all good roofs are angled and all flat roofs (industrial) require high maintenance & drainage? Why do you think the farther north you go, the higher the pitch for roof design is required?

Water has capillary properties and will move uphill. You are in Wisconsin where ice dams will form even on an unheated roof.

Any flat roof you build on a deer blind will never stay flat architecturally and given ground shifts the angle will change.

Learn to love angles & gravity and the correct point of acceleration (drainage) ... remember that moisture also can build up inside a deer blind in the off season ...

You guys are all hilarious.

I'll be building a number of shacks this year and hate angling all the supporting framework at 5* if I don't want to deal with gables. It takes way longer. That's why I was asking. I understand the advantages of an angled roof.

I'm even afraid of your roof style MO because it would make an awfully nice critter house.

I definitely agree on the moisture buildup, that's why I vent my shooting shacks with a good sized pest deterring vent.

I'll just plan on taking forever to build the framework again lol.

I'm not sure I am following you on your thinking. I don't think others are either. Do you have pictures that show all this extra building? I wouldn't think it should take more than 5 minutes to put an angle roof on instead of flat.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I am following you on your thinking. I don't think others are either. Do you have pictures that show all this extra building? I wouldn't think it would take more than 5 minutes to put an angle roof on instead of flat.

He doesn't either ... ;)

Why don't you just go buy a one piece chunk of rubber roof membrane if you want to keep the roof flat? That is what the kids do when building the ones they build!

I built all mine with a extra 2x4 plate on the front wall, 1 1/2 drop on 6', water runs right off.

Yep - My roof is simply ribbed barn siding. I had a few scrap pieces laying around and put them to use. Mine isn't perfectly level any ways so big deal. I used 2 pieces and got the job done for what I needed. I simply overlapped a rib at the joint of the two pieces. I took some vise grips and bent a small "curb" on the end where the door is and walked away. I don't have any issues, until I use my heater. Then condensation forms and drips from various places but that is sort of a self inflicted thing.

I put a 2/12 pitch (9.5 degrees) on the metal roof in my avatar. I am no carpenter and yes it slowed me down building the sidewalls, cutting the sheathing, and cutting the exterior metal to fit the sides. But I want this thing to outlast me and a pitched roof is the right thing to do for the long term.

09c9e35b459ccd15e0687e4a30517574.jpg

Plywood and rubber roof. Then you can make it flat. Last long time. Wont be as noisy as metal either.

I've done this before: build it flat with a plywood top. Wedge a 2x4 that is an inch or two long up in the middle of your shack. The roof will "pitch a tent" so to speak and shed water. You can cover the plywood with rubber or paint it with that waterproof trailer house roofing if you want.

that pitch is ridiculous. wow. All you need is an 1.5 inches. This isn't a house remember it's a deer blind.

cut your stud in the front to whatever length and subtract and 1.5 inches of the end of the wall. if it will roll a tennis ball it will roll water. let's not take crazy pills on overthinking things here. a roof pitch is to aid in water and snow removal. not to make a ski jump.

Poop flows at 1/4 inch per foot.
I've put in septic systems.

But more is better for snow.

that pitch is ridiculous. wow. All you need is an 1.5 inches. This isn't a house remember it's a deer blind.

cut your stud in the front to whatever length and subtract and 1.5 inches of the end of the wall. if it will roll a tennis ball it will roll water. let's not take crazy pills on overthinking things here. a roof pitch is to aid in water and snow removal. not to make a ski jump.

Is it faster cutting everything at your 2* or my 5*...... Or do you mean you just bang her together......

I grew up building houses and I have certain requirements otherwise I can hear my old man in my head giving me some crap for doing a crappy job.