Starlink

You have to buy all of the equipment up front....that was around $500. Then it's $90 a month. Not sure about the real time game cams? All of my Ring devices on the house work fine. But I think to have wi-fi game cams out on the land would be too far for the router.

$90? I pay $120 per month

Question, what do you guys do with 250 to 500 mbds? We've been living here with less than 10 for 8 years now. Right now we have at best 8, stream 2 tvs, phones ,wifi and the kids video games no problems at all. I don't work from home much anymore but when I did I had very few issues then also.
We don't have ring doorbells or anything like that. Do they use a lot?

On my old service at around 12, we could stream ONE TV, or play ONE video game, or go on ONE phone at a time. But when you start trying to do anything on more than one device at a time it all breaks down. If we were lucky, we could sometimes get away with one TV on and MAYBE one of the kids playing a low bandwidth video game. Three things going on at the same time was 100% out of the question.

Now that we have 250 or so we can be on 3 or 4 devices with no interuptions at all.

$90? I pay $120 per month

I am pretty sure prices have come down. Now sure when you bought in. But I do know that the initial Starlink equipment purchase used to be around $1000. It's now half that. I wonder if you're original $120 plan is now cheaper? I've also heard that there are some options that might jack up the price? Do you have a higher mbps plan? Does your antenna heat up to melt snow?

I'm a bit of an electronics nerd, and two years of StarLink at the Kentucky farm has been amazing. Two WiFi thermostats go into vacation mode anytime we are more than 60 miles away from the cabin, and turn back on before we get home. EcoNet Rheem WiFi water heater that also goes into energy saving mode when we are away from the cabin. iRobot WiFi vacuum cleaner that keeps us advised of it's work and status. A Cummins back up generator that is connected via an Ethernet cable, and advises when the power is off or it is being exercised. MyQ WiFi gate and garage door openers allow us to grant remote access when we are away, and advise when the farmer or anyone else comes and goes. ReoLink video doorbells and cameras, are replacing the Wyze cameras, that let us know when Vehicles, People, or Animals cross their paths. Roku with Prime, Netflix and Hulu for streaming, and TiVo for over the air networks and guides. Big Green Egg WiFi (EggGenius) pit and meat temperature monitor. And the newest addition, Flo by Moen remote control water shut-off, that monitors for water leaks while we are away and can automatically turn the water off when leaks are detected. Then various iPhones, iPads and computers that connect when we are there. Quite a load really, and never notice a glitch.
I hope SD doesn't read this, he'll have a stroke with all the spying they're doing on you.

Ok im the polar opposite. My electronic knowledge is lacking to put it nicely. So the process is to just order a package online (at one point it wasn’t available in my part of Ky, maybe it is now) and install it myself? Right now I just run off cell service and dish tailgater package. But WiFi would be great.
If you go to the Starlink website you can determine from a map how much service is available to you. So far they have put up about 5000 (?) satellites and they plan to launch many more to blanket the USA (and lots of the world). I'm assuming that many areas are getting service now and they are adding customers like crazy.

If you go to the Starlink website you can determine from a map how much service is available to you. So far they have put up about 5000 (?) satellites and they plan to launch many more to blanket the USA (and lots of the world). I'm assuming that many areas are getting service now and they are adding customers like crazy.
It looks like it pretty much over the whole country now?

It looks like it pretty much over the whole country now?
That Musk fella is one smart dude. He's gonna have 1/2 of the world paying him a fee each month to connect to that Starlink service. ......and he got the government to finance the show via defense needs. Talk about a conspiracy. (enter SD stage right)

Just checked on Starlink for my home in MN. $599 for equipment (plus a mount)and $90 / month with no contract. Lots of capacity for residential needs. Equipment would ship in 2 or 3 days. Pretty good deal compared to most cable or satellite services. Of course, now you gotta pay for Hulu or Firestick service.....and I think we pay about $70 per month for that. I suppose rates could come down as more folks connect to Starlink (?). This gig sure beats selling electric cars to the public. Millions of people sending you $90 / month.......gotta love a plan like that.

The other thing that is neat is that you can get mobile connections for motorhomes and boats. (maybe airplanes too?). Gotta believe that self driving trucks (and other stuff my pea brain does not perceive) is planned. Imagine the possibilities.

......and Musk does not even have to advertise the service.....as the social media does all that for him. lol. (good thing he is a conservative)

I am pretty sure prices have come down. Now sure when you bought in. But I do know that the initial Starlink equipment purchase used to be around $1000. It's now half that. I wonder if you're original $120 plan is now cheaper? I've also heard that there are some options that might jack up the price? Do you have a higher mbps plan? Does your antenna heat up to melt snow?

I have had mine for 2 years, it is a Gen2, normal plan, nothing added on. Mine does have the ability to turn on snow melt, and I just verified, I have paid $120 since shortly after I got it, I believe it started at $110. I paid $599 for the equipment.

I am in Northern Wisconsin, so not sure if it is different for other states.

Just checked on Starlink for my home in MN. $599 for equipment (plus a mount)and $90 / month with no contract. Lots of capacity for residential needs. Equipment would ship in 2 or 3 days. Pretty good deal compared to most cable or satellite services. Of course, now you gotta pay for Hulu or Firestick service.....and I think we pay about $70 per month for that. I suppose rates could come down as more folks connect to Starlink (?). This gig sure beats selling electric cars to the public. Millions of people sending you $90 / month.......gotta love a plan like that.

The other thing that is neat is that you can get mobile connections for motorhomes and boats. (maybe airplanes too?). Gotta believe that self driving trucks (and other stuff my pea brain does not perceive) is planned. Imagine the possibilities.

......and Musk does not even have to advertise the service.....as the social media does all that for him. lol. (good thing he is a conservative)

There are websites devoted to teaching people how to jailbreak a fire stick so everything is free. I don't know the legalities, I haven't tried it yet. But they highly recommend using it through a VPN so you can't be tracked down and arrested 🤪🤫

On my old service at around 12, we could stream ONE TV, or play ONE video game, or go on ONE phone at a time. But when you start trying to do anything on more than one device at a time it all breaks down. If we were lucky, we could sometimes get away with one TV on and MAYBE one of the kids playing a low bandwidth video game. Three things going on at the same time was 100% out of the question.

Now that we have 250 or so we can be on 3 or 4 devices with no interuptions at all.
We must be lucky. We stream 2 or 3 every night almost. Worst we get a little buffering every now and then. For 50 a month we will deal with a little buffering.

Last edited:
I got the spectrum internet assist. 30 Mb. Runs everything I’d ever need. 3 TV’s. 2cell phones, an IPad and a MacBook. Plus the garage door and security cameras. Never had an issue. I got a deal. 19.99 for life. I’ll never give it up LOL. I looked into Starlink for a relative in a semi remote area. It was around what prices people are throwing out there. About 110 a month after equipment purchase, then you would need a streaming subscription for any TV stuff.

HughesNet for about $80/mo with no charge for equipment up front.

HughesNet for about $80/mo with no charge for equipment up front.
We had Hughes net for about 5 years and it was awful. As soon as we got wind there was an alternative we switched.

We must be lucky. We stream 2 or 3 every night almost. Worst we get a little buffering every now and then. For 50 a month we will deal with a little buffering.

Yes....if you're streaming 3 devices on 8 mbps download you might want to call Elon Musk or Bill Gates....because you've got something good going on.

Look at the picture on my initial post. That's a speed test that I did this morning. That's the I've seen it in weeks. We've never ever in the 8 years we've lived in this house had more than eight. Maybe it is some sort of anomaly not sure

I have had mine for 2 years, it is a Gen2, normal plan, nothing added on. Mine does have the ability to turn on snow melt, and I just verified, I have paid $120 since shortly after I got it, I believe it started at $110. I paid $599 for the equipment.

I am in Northern Wisconsin, so not sure if it is different for other states.

Interesting. I wonder if different regions have different pricing? I just saw on their website that the standard rate is $120. I wonder if we got some kind of a promotion...$90 for the first year or something like that?

Look at the picture on my initial post. That's a speed test that I did this morning. That's the I've seen it in weeks. We've never ever in the 8 years we've lived in this house had more than eight. Maybe it is some sort of anomaly not sure

Yeah, I saw that. I used to run that same test all the time with my old service. It's great that you can do what you want on 8. On the 12 that we used to have we couldn't do anything beyond 1 device.

I'd be curious as to what the difference is. I have off and legitimately wondered about that cuz I've been told before that we shouldn't be able to do what we are doing with our internet speed

I see SPace X is about to launch.... I'm gonna watch a little on You tube before bed.