Spruce Plugs

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I am planting 500 white spruce this spring, some will be going into sod and the others intermixed with other trees. My question is do you think that it is worth the time and effort to spray roundup in the grass locations before planting. I would like to not have to but if it is deal breaker, then I will get it done.

I need to piggyback a spruce plug order if anybody has an opening. How many plugs for 5 acres of thermal.

How many and what kind? No idea what to tell you on numbers for 5 acres

checking with my plugger to see what we needs.

I am planting 500 white spruce this spring, some will be going into sod and the others intermixed with other trees. My question is do you think that it is worth the time and effort to spray roundup in the grass locations before planting. I would like to not have to but if it is deal breaker, then I will get it done.

If you have the time I think it would help. I made a tube out of stove pipe from menards with a little handle and went back over afterwards and sprayed the ones I have along the road using my backpack sprayer. I plan to continue to try to control the weeds for the screening for a couple years to give it a jump start. The ones I put in the woods were set and forget.

Clethodim is also an option as grass selective herbicide.

What is the spacing?

2.5 acres 12 x 12 spacing is how many spruce?

About 758

I have just decided I need approximately 758 spruce plugs. Give or take. Number just came to me in a dream. West coast style dream. Anybody to piggy with or should I start shucking pine seeds.

If you have the time I think it would help. I made a tube out of stove pipe from menards with a little handle and went back over afterwards and sprayed the ones I have along the road using my backpack sprayer. I plan to continue to try to control the weeds for the screening for a couple years to give it a jump start. The ones I put in the woods were set and forget.

Clethodim is also an option as grass selective herbicide.

Another thought bowhunternw, if you go with the stove pipe get at least a 4 footer for spraying after planting. I think mine was a 3 footer and my lower back could feel it after bending overslightly and wearing the backpack sprayer while spraying the trees.

Trying to keep the thread on track a little bit :).

I have used black and white in past with good luck. Is Norway or Meyer good for central MN.? Black hills or colorado blue? Intended soils retain water well and rarely dry out.

I'd go Norway

I have been leaning towards Norway. Just a gut hunch. Anybody ordering Norway from NCR that I can add 758 to give or take. Does Evansville have a burger joint? I can buy if someone drives or vice versa?

I will order them under my veterinary account. Art Rueck. Bill the Buckman address.

Should I get them in the styrofoam trays that we pay for or what?

I feel like a crawfish preparing to care for 700+ babies.

Tray deposit on my 650 spruce from Itasca was like $16. Whole order was around $250 w/tax.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was a minimal expense if I ended up eating it when I placed the order.

I distinctly remember it seemed to little to mess with mailing back.

I'm sure I'm not done planting trees by a long shot. I'm also not going to try to out plant you. :D

Thanks guys for the replies, the forester recommended white spruce for my area. I was going to order from north central reforestation but they were out so I ended up ordering from the dnr. Thing is you have to order 500 minimum, came out to a little over 20 cents a piece. Was recommended to me to use 15' spacing, part of it is going to be road screen so I will plant them with a pattern there but hope to keep everything else somewhat random. I guess I was just hoping that someone would tell me it is a waste of time to spray before. Just out of curiosity I will probably spray a test segment, just to see if there is a difference.

Well now that I looked at it, I think the dnr trees might be bare root. Does anyone know the answer to this? If so can you still plant with the bar or is it going to be a lot more involved?

Bare root is WAAAAAAAAAAY more work.