All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring to fall plot transition?

jrsbows

Buck Fawn
Ok i have a bean field with WRye planted in it that's going to be a food plot this year. My plan is to roll the rye and plant beans in it again and then around September 1st I would plant my fall blend into the standing beans. Now what I'd like to do is plant a short term Clover or something that I can Frost seed on the ground about now and have it come up with the Rye once it warms up. 4 turkeys and deer. Idea of rolling rye was so I don't have to spray and I was wondering am I going to have to spray that clover in order to get my fall seeds to grow??or what your ideas are.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

I would think yes. The clover will be hard to compete against.

I would think yes. The clover will be hard to compete against.
What about very short season annual clover wouldn't that be dying off by then know nothing about clover I guess

Will your soy beans be in the canopy stage by September 1. My ag RR beans are no till row planted and by then they are at the stage where it is too thick to broadcast anything into them. Or do you broadcast the beans and have more space between them? Just curious, as this has been something I have wanted to do but had never worked out for me.

While adding in a clover may seem like you are adding a great necessary food source, consider this first. It will be a short time frame you are directing your food benefit too.

The clover depending on variety will likely not have very much time to mature even frost seeded clover. So it may be able to be controlled by rolling as long as your rye is planted thick enough for a good layer of thatch.

But what will adding the clover help? As far as soil goes, there may be an added amount of green manure but it will not likely have enough time to add additional nitrogen credits. Your rye will be scavenging up the N and adding that back to your soil for the beans.

As far as food value. Brief growing time will really limit the available tonnage. During that time frame deer most likely have tons of choices for preferred browse. Af far as turkeys, just the rye and open ground will make for an excellent bugging grounds.

Should you? It is up to you. The only thing that you may have to do is spray after the beans are growing if the clover seems to be causing a problem. Just my take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will your soy beans be in the canopy stage by September 1. My ag RR beans are no till row planted and by then they are at the stage where it is too thick to broadcast anything into them. Or do you broadcast the beans and have more space between them? Just curious, as this has been something I have wanted to do but had never worked out for me.
i was hoping to row crop a very short season Bean so that leaves would be falling off by then. What were you trying to grow?