Spring planted oats and clover ?

Sounds like we are in similar places - well different in both NY geography and you have a disc at your place, lol

Any idea when and what you’ll make the call on next steps? Any ideas on the fall plant ?

My take is variations in percentage of rye, wheat, clovers and more brassicas. I might spot treat the bad weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I do have plenty of equipment, although my cultipacker broke last week. the timing was what led me down this process, mid April there wasn't any green up so once we got done with the dozer it was bare dirt, my options were plant something right away that could handle the up and down cold temps that we were going to see through April early May or wait around for weeds to sprout, spray and then plant. I get busy turkey hunting in May and didn't want to wait, good thing because planting May would have led into the drought.

Also these being more timber plots I wasn't going to have tons of grass in the seed bank. My idea was just to get something to hold soil and build a bit since the PH minerals were low in these locations. Now that the clover did better than I expected I'm not sure I want to terminate it all but the oats have run their course and just clover won't offer the deep into fall food that I'm looking for.

My thought is maybe spot spray the edges for the encroaching ferns and thistle, and will likely experiment a bit per location for seed choice but use a throw, mow, roll method on all of them as a disc would take out more of the young clover.

The largest of these locations I will probably try and inter seed just brassica on 1 side and grains on the otherside. 3 of the smaller I will put a mix of winter wheat, oats, cereal rye, Austrian peas, a small amount of clover and brassica. Then I will mow the oats right down to the top of the clover for thatch and cultipacker before a rain.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk